Sign in to follow this  
MACH

Are the books any good?

Been off in fairy-la-la-land for a while and only been lurking but was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think of the two Hellblazer novels that were released?

I have every issue of the comics.....would i like the books? should i get the books?

Any info would be just dandy, Hope everyone is well

Mach

No idea, but hopefully somebody who's read them should be along soon: there's a few people on here who've read and enjoyed them, I think.

I got halfway through Warlord, and wasn't enjoying it. It's competently written, but there are many aspects that don't tie into John's chgaracter. E.g.

He says dude

He refers to 'pants'

He almost cries over a guy he barely knew

And thats off the top of my head. However, it may have gotten better later on, and there was one excellent scene in a car in Iraq. Anyone else?

No idea, but hopefully somebody who's read them should be along soon: there's a few people on here who've read and enjoyed them, I think.

A tad redundant?

The first book's harmless enough, but John's dialogue is a bit dodgy and it doesn't fit comfortably into Vertigo's mythological continuity (if you're a bit of a nerd like me and care about that kind of thing).

Don't go out of your way, but if you see it at a library or going cheap it's worth a look.

A tad redundant?

Possibly, but I had no idea how long it'd take somebody who'd read the things to post a reply.

John Shirley, author, actually used to be one of Harlan Ellison's proteges.

Add your fun fact for Trivia Night!

Guest spiderlegs

But wait, there's more: he recorded with Blue Oyster Cult and was the singer in a punk band. I think his links to the songs are still on here somewhere.

A tad redundant?

Possibly, but I had no idea how long it'd take somebody who'd read the things to post a reply.

It's not a race, take a few deep breaths and slow down, you'll do yourself a mischief.

Um yeah have to agree with James...Warlord does have some dodgy bits...

Not a great read but harmless enough...I enjoyed the sum of the parts.

Just started Subterannean (sp) so far its like Warlord meets Strangehaven...lol...

I think Shirley does a good enough job satisfying the Vertigo fan in me...

I recommend them.

But wait, there's more: he recorded with Blue Oyster Cult and was the singer in a punk band. I think his links to the songs are still on here somewhere.

He never answered my question as to whether Mick Farren was an influence on him, iirc.

I found both books to be interesting enough but nothing spectacular. I give props to John Shirley for trying to place Constantine in different situations. The first novel is a supernatural action thriller and the second one more dark fantasy. I don't believe either one sold well enough to warrant and further novels though.

Oh, I just remembered one thing I didn't like - making John a latent psychic rather than a self-taught magician. Never mind though! The first one was fun enough.

Mike Carey did that in All His Engines also.

Was that before or after the books?

Weren't the books and All His Engines expected to tie into the movie someway? I thought the movie sort of forced that ret-con on Carey and Shirley.

There's the part where it flashes back to John's youth....I believe somewhere near the beginning of the book....and John is a little kid, laying awake in bed, scared, because he sees entities around him. And, I think his dad comes in and yells at him.

The implication being that John had a knack for seeing in the spirit world before he started with magic(k).

That was something from 2004 going back in time to scope out John's soul.

I'm big enough not to post this in the postmodernism doing hideous things to one's ego thread we all know love and occasionally feel hideously embarrassed to even be aware of, so don't worry about it.

(Ade may not be, mind...)

Apparently there's a "Postmodernism doing horrible things to the ego" thread?

Oh, OK. I see that paging through AHE now, James. I remembered it differently.

Apparently there's a "Postmodernism doing horrible things to the ego" thread?

"The Wit And Wisdom"?