Sign in to follow this  
MACH

Are the books any good?

i found a copy in used bookstore but still didnt pick it up... even when the lady suggested that I would love this title.... its what happens when you always read horror novels from james herbert or f paul wilson....

I found the two novels used on Amazon for $1.50 apiece and ordered them.

War Lord came in the mail today, so I'll be giving it a read and reviewing it after.

The second novel is in the mail, and I'll be doing the same with it.

(And, if anyone really gets their hopes up, unless there's really thought provoking ideas, it's really awful, or I get really engrossed in it, my reviews will not be in-depth. But, I doubt anyone is feeling disappointed right now anyway.)

War Lord-The plot is hardly original, but it's a type of plot I enjoy. A secret religious cabal is attempting to start a number of ever-escalating wars in order to summon an ancient entity hoping it would bring about the end of the world. John Constantine is recruited by spiritual powers to stop the blood ritual.

Overall, not bad at all. It is what it is supposed to be, a fun tie-in with the comic book. The novel is far more wide-action than the comic. Lots of continuity references scattered throughout though.

There is a continuity error as the First is referred to as Lucifer in the book. If Shirley had used Satan or the Devil I wouldn't be so nitpicky, but Lucifer is a totally separate character.

Mercury is a character in the book. I'm not a fan of Mercury, but if there were a character from John's past to return, Mercury would be best choice really.

Shirley has John Constantine's character down pretty well, barring a few glaring examples of dialogue that are out-of-character for John.

The tone is very recognizable, although some aspects are a bit too over-the-top for Hellblazer.

If you're a fan of Mike Carey's run, I think this book would be very appealing to you.

I feel, personally, it was certainly worth a read.

Really nice cover!

Subterranean-John fights the Mole Man!

This story is dark fantasy and really doesn't have all that much to do with John Constantine. John even gets a teen sidekick....There's a bit of an environmental message to this one.

I was a bit upset to see Kit show up, as I've always felt it was best to never being Kit back ever again, but I felt Shirley handled it very realistically. The fact that John put most of his feelings for Kit into Demon John makes it fine that he could just run into Kit and then leave....that awkwardness of two old lovers meeting one last time by chance.

While I felt the writing had improved, this book might not appeal to Hellblazer fans as much as the first book. Overall, I still enjoyed it. Another quick, fun read.