Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Comic book movies rated from best to worst

There's an article on the review site Rotten Tomatoes that ranks 94 comic book movies from best to worst, according to average ratings.

Here 'tis.

Men in Black outranked Batman Begins? What?!

Annie was a comic book?

Lists are bull shit. I mean there will never be a list that everyone can look at and say "Oh yeah they crystalized my opinion completely.". Maybe I am just bitter because Spider-Man 2 was #1 and Batman Begins wasn't.

Yeah, it was a disappointing ending, wasn't it?

But, of course it's just opinion. God didn't come down and tell us "Puny mortals, what fools you doth be! Spider Man 2 is the greatest and most high of all the superhero movies! Believe or perish in Hell fire!".

I didn't think Spider Man 2 was that great. It was one of the best, sure, but I think the first Spider Man was better than the sequel.

Lists are bull shit. I mean there will never be a list that everyone can look at and say "Oh yeah they crystalized my opinion completely.". Maybe I am just bitter because Spider-Man 2 was #1 and Batman Begins wasn't.

That's how I feel. But I think Batman Begins should have at least been higher than Men In Black, no?

No. Men in Black was a perfect little action movie with the right balance of comedy, action and a little light horror. Batman Begins was entertaining, but also pompous, slightly pretentious and suffered from dreadful action direction.

It's an interesting list.

I wouldn't have thought to include the manga-based stuff (Akira, Old Boy?!?), the animated films (Batman: MotP), or the non-superhero/fantasy/sci-fi/crime stuff (American Splendor, Ghost World).

Nevertheless, I mostly agree with their rankings, though SM2 definitely wouldn't be my #1.

My 5 favorite (in no particular order):

Batman Begins

Sin City

Men in Black

Ghost World

American Splendor

Why wouldn't you include stuff like Akhira or Ghost World?

Or, are you saying you just didn't think about those movies?

I don't know why the Addams Family is in there but i think everything else has a comics background.

~edit~

wikipedia tells me it was a strip before it was a show, so fair play i guess.

Why wouldn't you include stuff like Akhira or Ghost World?

Or, are you saying you just didn't think about those movies?

Both, but mostly the latter.

It seems almost unfair to compare animated adaptations with standard film adaptations, and whenever I think of comic book movies I always think of the more mainstream stuff like FF, SM, X-M, Supes, etc.

I guess the Big Two have brainwashed me well over the years.

It seems almost unfair to compare animated adaptations with standard film adaptations

Why? Aside from replicating the art style, I don't think animation necessarily offers any other advantages.

Why? Aside from replicating the art style, I don't think animation necessarily offers any other advantages.

That's one hell of an advantage, though - just compare the sublime Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm with any of the live-action Batman films to see how much more effectively the animated film captures the essence of the comics, in a way which even the largely-effective, highly-faithful Batman Begins can't come close to. There's a fundamentally larger-than-life quality to classic superhero stories which simply doesn't translate to live-action. That's not to say that live-action superhero films can't be worthwhile or effective (Superman: The Movie, Spider-Man 2 and even Batman Begins more-than-prove that), but I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that, for example, no live-action film is ever going to depict the Justice League anything like as convincingly as the Justice League Unlimited animated series did.

Of course, I'd still feel comfortable including animated films, non-superhero works, and manga-derived films under a blanket "Comic-book Adaptation" banner for the purposes of lists like this, myself. But I can see why someone might want to make such a distinction, even if it's just in his/her own mind.

That's one hell of an advantage, though - just compare the sublime Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm with any of the live-action Batman films to see how much more effectively the animated film captures the essence of the comics, in a way which even the largely-effective, highly-faithful Batman Begins can't come close to. There's a fundamentally larger-than-life quality to classic superhero stories which simply doesn't translate to live-action.

Well you say that, but as far as I'm concerned, animated adaptations of the Spider-Man movies using the same scripts would not be any more successful than their live-action counterparts. Granted, it might be harder to put it across in live action, but I don't think it's "simply" impossible. More to the point, as far as I'm aware the list is based on the film's quality as a motion picture, not its success as a faithful adaptation. Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman film because it has the best script and concept. If it were done as a live-action movie it wouldn't be any worse off (although admittedly I do love Timm's art and the Dark Deco design).

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that, for example, no live-action film is ever going to depict the Justice League anything like as convincingly as the Justice League Unlimited animated series did.

No, but I'd say that's largely because of the advantages of episodic TV versus film. If you had a TV series with the budget of a movie for each episode then I think it would be do-able. Granted, you'd have to tone down the palette a little, but I don't think bright clothing is intrinsic to either the "superhero" concept or the "larger than life" element.

I don't mean to encourage you nerds :) by contributing to this discussion, but sometimes the appeal of an adaptation is that it is live action, as opposed to artwork, animated or not. For example, a large part of the coolness of the Spider-Man or Sin City movies came from seeing that comic book stuff in 'real life'.

Of course, that only works if the filmmakers rise to the challenge. Shit like the Ben Affleck Daredevil would have worked better as a cartoon. Adapting a comic book to a movie isn't something you can do by numbers or by committee and expect it to work.

I actually think that list was none too shabby. No way did Spiderman 2 deserve to win, but otherwise the top ten arguably was composed of rather good films.

I didn't agree with some on the list and i concur that spiderman 2 is no way better than batman begins or history of violence for that matter and men in black don't make me vomit