J. White

Hellblazer #203

What did you think of #203 ?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of #203 ?

• 10 (Cracking!)
    • 5 (Middle of the synchronicity highway)
    • 1 (Ugh!)

Spoilers, people. There are some great moments here...

Dashwood torn apart, very nice. I'm glad I did the Cambell write-ups when I did. the ending page was my favorite which got me to thinking, where the well is L.M. Rosa when you need him?

Dashwood torn apart? Isn't he stuck in some tree in Australia somewhere? Man, I need to get this issue!

I won't say how or why (unless you guess), but I think Dashwood's confinment to the tree wasn't permentent and John even recognized that at the end of Warped Notions. It's easily explainable.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it tomorrow morning. I'll be heading in to Ye Olde Oslo Comicke Shoppe to look, anyway...

Um... may I ask: who's Dashwood?

Overall, this was an okay issue. Enough for me to wait for the next issue.

Seconded.

I know I've read his name somewhere. But where?

Um... may I ask: who's Dashwood?

Overall, this was an okay issue. Enough for me to wait for the next issue.

Seconded.

I know I've read his name somewhere. But where?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it the madness inducing ghost from the Everything Virus?

Damn talk about continuity...characters from both Paul Jenkins and Eddie Campbell's runs brought back. Seriously nobody would have guessed who the next batch of victims from John's past would have turned out to be. I'm still not 100% sure that the narrator is the Demon Constantine. The interaction between the narrator and Constantine suggest that if it's anyone we've seen before, the Demon Constantine is the most likely culprit BUT remember how Mr. Carey had everyone trying to suss out the identity of the Beast With No Name only to have it turn out to be a totally new character. I think Carey might be doing the same thing here but I do hope it's the D.C. as way he talks to Constantine sounds like he knows him very well. Manco's art looks very reminicent of David Lloyd in places as the backgrounds seem darker than before and I mean that as a compliment. And since the identity of Sir Francis Dashwood was spoiled I'll guess that the demon kids are able to summon his sprit from his wooden prison. Overall good stuff.

Dashwood is Sir Francis Dashwood's ghost from the Eddie Campbell story-arc.

If you don't know, Dashwood was an 18th century British Occultist, one of the founding members of the "Hellfire Club" magick "circle". Sort of a fore-runner of Aleister Crowley :) .

I know who the commentator is! :biggrin: I really don't think this is a new character though, as he mentions he's "known John (been friends with John?) longer than even Chas".

I gave it a 6, as I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first part. Had a few problems, but it was still really good. I'm grading a bit hard until I see the rest of the story-arc.

Killing off people from Jenkins' run is always a great way to get in my good graces! :biggrin:

And, if what happened to Angie is what I think happened to her, then that's another good way to appease me! :biggrin:

Well the narrator is "an old friend. Even older than [Chas]." Who has John known longer than Chas except himself? Unless you count his father who I gather is still tormented in Hell over his guilt from John's troubled birth. Plus the way he managed to get John motivated seemed like something a younger Constantine would do. So I sincerly hope it's the Demon Constantine but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it turned out to be someone else.

Yep, that's the exact same conclusion I came to, and as you can see, I am so sure of this hypothesis that I stated I KNEW who the narrarator is!

Dashwood is Sir Francis Dashwood's ghost from the Eddie Campbell story-arc.

If you don't know, Dashwood was an 18th century British Occultist, one of the founding members of the "Hellfire Club" magick "circle". Sort of a fore-runner of Aleister Crowley :) .

Thanx for the answer, but what was Dashwood's role in Hellblazer?

In Eddie Campbell's four-parter, he appeared to Constantine and informed him that reality was falling apart at the seams, and that the only way to stop it was for him, John and a cat demon named Murnarr to travel around the world, creating a circular spell that would pull everything back together again.

Cue lots of bizarre reality-twisting set-pieces as people turn inside out, a chicken gives birth to a human child then eats it, John the Baptist's relics pull themselves into a single human and go out of a latte etc.

John got as far as Australia before he realised that reality wasn't really falling apart, and that all the weird events were Dashwood's doing; the old ghost was quite mad. Realising that he'd been had, and that the spell would probably have fucked the world up rather than make it better, he bound Dashwood's ghost inside a tree in the Australian rainforest. And that was where we last saw him.

he bound Dashwood's ghost inside a tree in the Australian rainforest. And that was where we last saw him.

Trying not to sound like an arse but I believe it was a secluded tree on a remote island in Papua New Guinea where he bound Dashwood's ghost. I'm not sure why young Adam was trying to get help from the ghost of Dashwood. It seems a bit early for the demon kids to be asking for outside assistance against their father. Unless he was just doing it for kicks.

Hmm, thats all quite very interesting. Hellblazer sagas/mythogoly just seems to get better and better everytime I find out something new about it. Thanx James and andy for the replies.

Damn. This week's comics weren't out in Oslo today, which is odd because I know they've been out on Thursdays in the past. Probably something to do with the holiday season - I'll try again after the weekend. Looking forward to reading this one.

I thought that Adam feared that John might turn to Dashwood for help eventually, and wanted to get to him before John got to him.

Which I found sort of odd anyway....unless Carey is just trying to tie-in all the different eras of "Hellblazer" and there wasn't much from Campbell's issues to work with. Coulda just ignored Campbell's run completely, of course....

That was one of the weak points I mentioned actually, was the Dashwood part. Besides not understanding why it was necessary, I really don't like it when real-life characters (even as ghosts) are killed off in comics. That's just me though!

I think Mike using characters, even from shorter archs and storylines, suggests that continuity is going to be a strong focus in the storyline. Plus, those characters were expendable by all means. Who, honestly, was going to think of grudging up minor characters.

The narration had be impressed too. I hope the story continues to be narrated by the mystery helper.

Having been spoiled by Manco replacing Frusin, I think it is only fair to say their are some ropey panels this month (eg the police chase on the footbridge)

I like the tactical approach that The Constanteenies are taking.

Straff - a time when John was fairly settled and a rather mundance choice.

Dashwood - possible supernatural help for John, since they know he's getting some such help already.

Gemma - obviously.

Angie - actually, I think she's getting help here.

A dream of being chased not necessarily meaning you are being chased.

The rat/Chas amalgam ... how about The Golden Child - on reflection he'd probably not call his brother "Constantine" ? or even Nergal - you know how these demons are and he has known John for a long time.

Yes I too think the position Angie finds herself in at the end of the issue is probably to her benefit. You would think that Maria would be going after Angie but it doesn't look that way. Gemma 'call me Constantine' on the other hand is in a different situation. But rememebr we don't know anything about this new boyfriend of hers.

Mike Carey - the continuity whiz. :D

Yeah but if you chose to indulge in a little continuity play, you have to make sure that you don't bugger it up!

Didn't Straff's mum die at the end of 'Life, Death & Taxis' ?  It was Mike's choice to dredge up the character so he really should've done his homework.  The attack on Dashwood seemed pointless and added to the sense that only a bunch of  no-marks are going to cop it - somewhich which would kick this story in the balls I reckon, as the whole point is that the kids are going after Constantine's nearest and dearest.  To be fair, John's mystery friend does warn that they'll be striking a lot closer to home.

The art dropped off in quality after the first four or so pages, things got scratchy but I still dug it - streets ahead of anything Frusin's done since Brian's run.  It picked up at the end too.

Apart from all that, really enjoy the issued - especially the last couple of pages with Angie and Gemma. 

Dug the stuff between Chas and John - especially with Chandler originally thinking he was in hell.  I'm now hoping that the mystery person isn't the Demon Constantine cause he just doesn't sound like him - after his blabbering in #203, I got the impression that he might be Thomas Constantine.

As I started this with a little continuity bitching, I'll end it on a releated positive note - was good to finally get the Gemma Constantine yoke cleared up. 

I picked up your copy today Rogan, will post it along with #202 on Tuesday.

Somewhere between 7-8 for me, those last four or five pages really hooked me in.