J. White

Hellblazer #203

What did you think of #203 ?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of #203 ?

• 10 (Cracking!)
    • 5 (Middle of the synchronicity highway)
    • 1 (Ugh!)

OH! That's right! I forgot that the "kid" who got John smoking in the "Secret Files" special was NERGAL! I was thinking it was the First!

I actually thought of this story as one of my choices when the character said "I've known you forever" (paraphrased), so I was thinking it might be the First.

I couldn't see Nergal wanting to help either though. Nergal absolutely loathes John for what John did to him, and Nergal's strong suit was never intellectual planning.

Unless Nergal hates his "ex-wife" (he he) more than John, I really doubt it.

And if he doesn't have his demonhood back, how can he work all that magic?

That's the thing when writing about magic and the supernatural, you can make up your own rules and not be bound by the laws of reality. Seriously I really don't want to see Negral again. Let some things stay in the past.

Let some things stay in the past.

Chin, Chin. Well, there are some things in the past worth exporing - but I think Nergal is too far gone in the past.

Well, it's not like John's magic is the same as Dr. Fate's.

Unless John lost his memories of learning magic, he would still be able to do what he does.

Nergal was originally set up to be something of John's "arch-nemesis", at least in the "physical" sense. John beat Nergal pretty damned good! So, Ennis introduced the First, who replaced Nergal in this sense and thus left Nergal pretty useless.

he bound Dashwood's ghost inside a tree in the Australian rainforest. And that was where we last saw him.

Trying not to sound like an arse but I believe it was a secluded tree on a remote island in Papua New Guinea where he bound Dashwood's ghost. I'm not sure why young Adam was trying to get help from the ghost of Dashwood. It seems a bit early for the demon kids to be asking for outside assistance against their father. Unless he was just doing it for kicks.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Well maybe they're not doing it for assistance. But the fact that getting a ghost bound to a secluded tree in Papua New Guinea, makes for some creative vengeance/havoc, by assiteing dashwood with his original plan?

Just my humble opinion.

Well, I made a nice post in this thread on Friday but it seems to have vanished!

I had a quick gander back through the Admin logs just to make sure that I hadn't deleted your post by mistake but there's no mention of it in there - are you sure you didn't stick it in another thread by mistake ?

I had a quick read through Difficult Beginnings and John does have a go at his demon counterpart for 'talking like a girl', so I guess the flowery language wouldn't be that out of character for Demon Constantine.

Maybe that electric elemental chap has finally worked his way up through the ranks!

okay, so it's a 7 this time... story was good, but as James said (continuity bitching aside), that fistfight, PLUS the punch directed at Chas/Mystery Companion was a bit off-kilter for me.

loved the "beauty and the beast" flying cuttlery joke, though. (i would, wouldn't i)

oh, and my 2 cents worth of spculating - didn;t the mystery Chas say that he ALWAYS seems to find John when he is at his weakest? That he became a sotty of a pet project for him? This MIGHT seem like Demon Constantine (they've only met when J.C.s been in some serious shit so far), but the "pet-project" line makes me wonder if it's not indeed Nergal or someone...? (maybe Mike will tie it in with the John C. goes to Hell plot, or the current goings-on in Lucifer, since a lot of Hellblazer-reading folks have been bying it in trades, this would be one hell of an incentive to get them to go monthly again... :p)

Heh... that'd be one for the books

- Phantom Stranger disguised as a Rat, enters (penetrates?) Chas, then has John landed in a fistfight?

Besides, I imagine that The Stranger would just appear as himself without all this messing about with rats.

but would he take that tone with J.C. or cause a barfight?

If so, he DESERVED his own miniseries :D

Well he's just doing what has to be done - that and he probably feels like letting off some steam after being stuck with the role of boring twat for the last twenty years.

I think John knew Chas before he knew the Phantom Stranger. Did he imply that he had known John longer than John had known Chas when he said "friend". I'm not sure.

McMahon - if you're right, i'll send you a bottle of the best serbian drink i can find.

Thomas Constantine would be less formal, though. He'd just twat John over the head and go ON AND ON about how John got him killed.

I'm still voting Demon Constantine, with the Golden Boy coming up second, in lieu of any better options.

Hey there's always John's mother. It's not like we know anything about her...though getting your son involved in a bar fight is hardly motherly. The golden boy idea is interesting especially in light of the "finding you at your lowest ebb" comment. Although wasn't the Golden Boy basically just the spirit of John's dead twin for whom John saw more as an idealised version of himself. The whole concept of the Golden Boy seemed more to exist Constantine's mind more than as some kind of benevolent spirit.

Nah, the whole of issue 40 was about the Golden Boy trying to call the Sickly Child (our John) into his own universe. Then he enters a place between worlds where he finds out that our John has been waiting for him for ages...

I'v always wondered why the Phantom Stranger can't get involved in Mortal affiars. Wasnt he sorta of outside of the Presences rules, an view..

Of those who've been nominated so far, Demon Constantine is far and away the most likely candidate to me. I wouldn't put it past Carey to have blindsided us all, though.

HA HA HA! Phantom Stranger went on a fucking bender and got bored out of his mind! Everyone complained about the character, so Mike Carey fixed him! Oh, and about Chas knowing John longer than P.S.? WRONG! P.S. has been on Earth for thousands of years and used to peep in John's window when he was a little boy. Oh! That naughty Stranger! Now we know what's under that trenchcoat, eh?!

:lol:

BUT seriously folks, isn't Demon John the sum whole of all of John's worst aspects? So, wouldn't that mean that everytime John's been at his lowest point that the aspect making up Demon John would be inherently there? And as a "long-term project", who can be more of a project than another aspect of yourself?!

Just my thoughts.

The Golden Boy is psychological not physical. He's John's dead twin, who John killed in the womb, who John idealized in his head as everything good that he could've been if he wasn't so fucked up.

wolvy-according to P.S.'s origin, he refuses to take sides in any kinds of affairs that matter. So, since he's a "fallen" angel, I'm guessing he can't change his personality as a mortal could, so he's stuck psychologically being unable to make decisions in affairs. I guess?