A. Heathen

Oh, Waaarnerrrrs ...

And if you compare the interest on the Sin City imdb boards with the interest on the Constantine one, you'll see how the unconventional looking movie is capturing people's attention.

But Sin City is way more popular than Hellblazer, isn't it? It's well known. And the trailer looks VERY good (even if for a moment it reminded Dick Tracy (the one with Warren Beatty) a lot! It's good to know that the forces behind the project are real fans of it, what will make the movie faithfull and fans will love. But will they make this deliver at the same way with the mainstream audience? I'm hyped after seeing the trailer, but I get a sentiment that it could well be a case of a whole lot of style and "wannabe something different" over substance... hope not.

And if you compare the interest on the Sin City imdb boards with the interest on the Constantine one, you'll see how the unconventional looking movie is capturing people's attention.

But Sin City is way more popular than Hellblazer, isn't it? It's well known. And the trailer looks VERY good (even if for a moment it reminded Dick Tracy (the one with Warren Beatty) a lot! It's good to know that the forces behind the project are real fans of it, what will make the movie faithfull and fans will love. But will they make this deliver at the same way with the mainstream audience? I'm hyped after seeing the trailer, but I get a sentiment that it could well be a case of a whole lot of style and "wannabe something different" over substance... hope not.

Not really, they both have their followers in the comic books but nether is bigger than the other.

I saw my first commercial for "Constantine" last night (New Year's Eve) at about a quarter till midnight. Almost ruined my fucking New Year, it did :lol: !

It didn't look like such a bad movie, but looked nothing like "Hellblazer"! Of course, it was just a minute of commercial, so it's hard to judge a movie based on that.

Keanu Reeves looks like Keanu Reeves.....

But Sin City is way more popular than Hellblazer, isn't it? It's well known.

Eh? Is it? As far as I was aware, neither had a noticeably bigger following. Sin City has critical acclaim, but that counts for jack shit in the world of comics. Most people know Frank Miller not from Sin City, but from The Dark Knight Strikes back and Daredevil.

In fact, Constantine's probably better known due to his appearances in Swamp Thing, Crisis, Books of Magic etc.

But will they make this deliver at the same way with the mainstream audience?

The imdb boards (and the Millarworld Sin City threads) are full of people asking about the comics, where they can get them, which stories will be used etc. The trailer seems to have attracted a lot of people outside of the usual Sin City fanbase.

Constantine's trailers have caused less fuss and interest, though obviously Reeves, LeBeouf and Rossdale have all brought in their share of fans. The only Sin City actor or actress with a similar fanbase seems to be Clive Owen.

So they might end up equal in terms of audience. Sin City's got the edge on internet buzz, though.

I get a sentiment that it could well be a case of a whole lot of style and "wannabe something different"  over substance

Funny, I get the same feeling about Constantine. Cheap shot? Sure, but true.

Sin City is based word-for-word and shot-for-shot on the Sin City graphic novels, which strikes me as an exercise in redundancy but assures me that it will have substance. Whether or not ultra-hard-boiled crime fiction is your substance of choice is down to you.

I don’t know which producer said that John Constantine was like a supernatural Dirty Harry

That quote works in context, we had a brief discussion about it here before.

Eh? Is it?

Don't know. I am asking.

The trailer seems to have attracted a lot of people outside of the usual Sin City fanbase.

The trailer is very good. Can't wait too see it in the big screen.

So they might end up equal in terms of audience. Sin City's got the edge on internet buzz, though.

A bit like the Kill Bill movies did.

I get a sentiment that it could well be a case of a whole lot of style and "wannabe something different"  over substance

Funny, I get the same feeling about Constantine. Cheap shot? Sure, but true.

When a talked about style over substance I was saying it because Sin City looks VERY stylish. I don't think Constantine is this type of movie. Don't have this different tone, or this "something new" in it. At least I dont feel this way.

Well, Kill Bill was very stylish, new, and it was good. It's what I hope for SC.

Sin City is based word-for-word and shot-for-shot on the Sin City graphic novels, which strikes me as an exercise in redundancy but assures me that it will have substance. Whether or not ultra-hard-boiled crime fiction is your substance of choice is down to you.

Yes, I like it. And that trailer won my ticket. But I'm not attracted to the characters like a became for John Constantine (and I'm saying this apart of my KR fandom. I really like the character). Funny, uh? I want to see the whole movie, but (at least for a while) don't want to learn about any character too deep.

August 1999

Sin City: to hell and back #2 = 45K

Hellblazer #142 = 19K

September 1999

Sin City: to hell and back #3 = 43K

Hellblazer #143 = 18.7K

October 1999

Sin City: to hell and back #4 = 39.9K

Hellblazer #144 = 18.4K

November 1999

Sin City: to hell and back #5 = 38.5K

Hellblazer #144 (resolicit) = 18K

December 1999

Sin City: to hell and back #6 = 39.1K

Hellblazer #145 = 19.9K

January 2000

Sin City: to hell and back #7 = 36.8K

Hellblazer #146 = 17.8K

February 2000

Sin City: to hell and back #8 = 36.0K

Hellblazer #147 = 17.2K

April 2000

Sin City: to hell and back #9 = 33.9K

Hellblazer #149 = 17.2K

November 2000

SIN CITY HELL AND BACK TP (312 pages, $28) 6,450 direct market, current amazon rank = 5,302

HELLBLAZER HARD TIME TP (128 page, $12.95) 4,290 direct market,

current amazon rank = 158,219

They are not exactly comparable, since a mini series is less of a commitment. Also Miller is a big name and comics shops really fall for that stuff.

Dark Horse just have a much better understanding of comic fans / films.

Warners/DC don't seem to care.

Eh? Is it?

Don't know. I am asking.

I read that as a rhetorical "isn't it?" - and the quote as "It's well known that Sin City is way more popular than Hellblazer."

So anyway, Sin City is more popular than Hellblazer and I stand corrected. It's true that the Sin City boards are alive in a way that the Constantine ones aren't, though.