A. Heathen

FAO: the Hollywood suggestion box

http://www.comicon.com/thebeat/archives/20...o.html#comments

While it's exciting to see Hollywood types flex their fledgling wings and attempt to create their Kryptos and Iron Fists, the cost for comics could be devastating if studios can just sit down and come up with their own characters. Where will they get the licensing money to keep their publishing operations afloat.

The quote was not mine, but from an article at The Beat, inspired by this piece from the Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/...t_id=1000742220

My intent was to say "get your own ideas and have the courage to call them your own ideas". (qv TiR's comments that maybe the character of John Constantine is the problem rather than the adpatation)

Interesting (and sad) to note that "Comic Book Film" = superheroes, innit?

Perhaps that's why Constanteen has his Boy Wonder.

Footnote for Hollywood Reporter types:

"Comic Book" is not a genre, it is a medium (or at worst a format) for telling a story. As "Ghost World", "Uzumaki", "Akira", "Road to Perdition", "Sin City" and (hopefully) "Constanteen" illustrate, the genres are as varied as any other medium. (except computer games, obviously ;-P)

[sarcasm]Yeah i can totally see how people would stop making comics if the movie money dried up[/saracsm]

I could quote Scott Mccloud until my arse turned blue but i'll just paraphrase with a clumsey metaphor.

fact is comics are like a many headed hydra, if the lack of movie money causes one head to atrophie then 10 more spring up in its place.

Tsk!

You'll be needing to read it.

That'd be The Incredibles, John, and the article is based on their success.

It's an interesting point that (despite Marvel owning "superhero") the film's creator does take rather a lot of Very Familiar things and pass them off as his own.

Except that he claims they are much older - from Greek myths etc.

Now, IF he'd written a comic called The Incredibles and had it published by Image with exactly the same story, almost no-one would have complained, so I think the people are on dodgy ground when they suggest plagiarism.

"Oooh, there's four of them ! Must be stealing from Fantastic Four !"

Yeah? And? So? What?

And I read the comment about comics not being funded if films can make up their own superheroes as slightly tongue in cheek, but perhaps it would encourage certain comics publishers to branch out of spandex a bit more.

"Oooh, there's four of them ! Must be stealing from Fantastic Four !"

Yeah? And? So? What?

I dunno. They've got a stretchy person, a big beefy type, someone who can go invisible and create forcefields and... er... a kid.