Rassmguy

Pandemonium (contains no pandas, but beware spoilers)

been playing around with a couple of cover layouts today... veering towards the 'bullet' design at the moment ----

49362flat.jpg

91613.5flat.jpg

I´m not sure if you´ll use as the cover but Fantastic art, really nice layouts.

updates updates ------

sorry for the lack of news - here's what's happening with the book, which will then hopefully reflect on the title as a whole.

PANDEMONIUM is all drawn, but it has been pushed back in the schedule. this is both good news and bad news - the good news art wise is it's allowed me to take up colouring duties again, the bad news being that it won't come out now til JAN 2010. DC didn't want to release it just for the sake of it in some random month this year.

more good news too - as i understand it it's been pushed back to jan to kick off what will be hellblazer year - marking the 25th anniversary of john's first appearance in SWAMP THING. (any jokes about how i've managed to delay a book from it's 20th year to it's 25th are now welcome here....)

i think this will also allow pete milligan to read PANDAMONIUM, and if appropriate be 'aware' of it in the monthly title. so, although it's a bit of a wait yet, it feels like DC are doing the right thing in the big scheme of things.

hope that's of interest! here's a couple of coloured pages in the meantime

cheers

jock

pp15.jpg

pp43.jpg

Hi Jock

Luvverly drawins guv. Thanks for sharing with us, another wonderful tease. I'm interested in the colouring, very minimal and rather bleak, a contrast to your cover designs.

So I have another year to wait? Well, I'm not so old that is a dangerous amount of time... Now, Hellblazer year sounds like it might be intriguing, like they decided that 20 years of Hellblazer fell a bit flat and they want to do it better. Any clue as to what else they might do?

I was thinking about that scene in the Great Court of the BM. I used to work there in my youth and remember before it was built, they had the wonderful Victorian "Iron Library" and all that is gone, which is why, whenever I'm there, I skulk around looking miserable and hangdog like JC in your drawings. Funny how the winged bulls have turned up again!

i think this will also allow pete milligan to read PANDAMONIUM, and if appropriate be 'aware' of it in the monthly title.

Ah, well as long as Milligan isn't waiting to read it, that's okay then! :tongue:

I'm happy to read this book when it's ready and not before - especially if it means you get to enjoy colouring it too! As always, those are some lovely pages! Hellblazer year sounds promising too and the title can really reclaim Vertigo (plus a few painted posters wouldn't go amiss)

Jock - If you don't mind me asking, what was your first experience of Constantine? (as in where did you first come across the character - not when did he first perform some pub-based voodoo at you. Although, if that did turn out to be the case...)

I loved the pages, I really did and I can´t wait to see the GN.

I don´t mind, I know it´ll be great and waiting a little to read won´t be a problem. Great that you´ll do the colours, I just love your art my friend and I´ll wait to see that and to see your art on HB.

Nice one Jock, although the delay is disappointing, the side effect of you having time to colour it is great.

Looks like I will have to go to Bristol this year after all.

Wonder what else could be instore for "Hellblazer Year"?

And of course, great work, as always, Jock.

i think this will also allow pete milligan to read PANDAMONIUM, and if appropriate be 'aware' of it in the monthly title.

That's nice — while you're at it, could you send him copies of Shade The Changing Man 42-44, please? :wink:

Thanks for the latest previews.

Nice one Jock, although the delay is disappointing, the side effect of you having time to colour it is great.

Agreed. The fact that DC/Vertigo was unable to successfully publish either of their planned specials to mark the 20th anniversary year seems to invite some kind of comment on management, but far be it from me.

Hey now, don't forget that "special" Chas mini-series.

That shipped on time.

Give credit.

How about the fact that one of the "planned specials" ends up not even being John Constantine related now?

Quite the special anniversary.

I'm just happy with a Jamie Delano written project though. That is a big deal.

For the milestone 21st anniversary year.

. The fact that DC/Vertigo was unable to successfully publish either of their planned specials to mark the 20th anniversary year seems to invite some kind of comment on management, but far be it from me.

no, with PANDEMONIUM that was totally my fault i'm afraid... it's not fair to blame things on people without knowing the full story. the b/w art was late, due to personal circumstances, and that led to the book being delayed. not vertigo's fault at all.

Jock - If you don't mind me asking, what was your first experience of Constantine? (as in where did you first come across the character - not when did he first perform some pub-based voodoo at you. Although, if that did turn out to be the case...)

well, the first issue i picked up was (i think) #62... a glenn cover with john holding a spade by a grave? i loved glenn's painted covers at the time and i was beginning to try and pursue comics art as a career, having just finished art college. that led me to dig out some more of garth's run and enjoyed all of jenkin's/sean's issues.

it was my favourite title and it was my dream job for a long time. in fact, andy diggle and i had an idea for a 5 page story which we were going to work on on spec. to try and get a job at vertigo. then THE LOSERS happened and my first offer of work before that was #181 - as i say, a total dream job at the time!

loved jamie's early issues (it was a HORROR BOOK! something that seems to get occasionally lost along the way), so i'm hoping PANDEMONIUM sits well in the cannon.

fingers crossed!

Oh, cool. That issue of Hellblazer was my first issue too.

The month before the launch of the Vertigo line, it was in fact.

I discovered John Constantine from his appearance in Sandman first though.

well, the first issue i picked up was (i think) #62... a glenn cover with john holding a spade by a grave

Spooky. It was my first as well. I was hooked by the mixture of "real world" concerns (Kit's advice to Gemma, not that the ungrateful little brat took any notice in the long run) and how much of John's "magic" was just very convincing bullshit.

well, the first issue i picked up was (i think) #62... a glenn cover with john holding a spade by a grave

Spooky. It was my first as well. I was hooked by the mixture of "real world" concerns (Kit's advice to Gemma, not that the ungrateful little brat took any notice in the long run) and how much of John's "magic" was just very convincing bullshit.

Mine too, now I come to think of it, by virtue of being the first issue collected in the Fear & Loathing trade, which was my first brush with the title. It's still among my favourite issues, partly for the reasons you describe.

. The fact that DC/Vertigo was unable to successfully publish either of their planned specials to mark the 20th anniversary year seems to invite some kind of comment on management, but far be it from me.

no, with PANDEMONIUM that was totally my fault i'm afraid... it's not fair to blame things on people without knowing the full story. the b/w art was late, due to personal circumstances, and that led to the book being delayed. not vertigo's fault at all.

Huh... I try to suggest that management ultimately carries the can for those they manage, and you step in and take the bullet. :tongue:

I was aware of the personal circumstances you referred to, because you shared it in this thread, and I wanna make it clear I didn't mean to imply any sort of criticism in that area.

On a different note, I like the way that last page works as a montage with fades; it's a nice example of how to colour panels that don't have hard borders. Is that letratone visible in places?

I was aware of the personal circumstances you referred to, because you shared it in this thread, and I wanna make it clear I didn't mean to imply any sort of criticism in that area.

On a different note, I like the way that last page works as a montage with fades; it's a nice example of how to colour panels that don't have hard borders. Is that letratone visible in places?

hey no worries, i'm just not a fan of slightly misplaced opinions taking weight and getting out of control... this was all me! i'll take the bullet for the eds at vertigo anytime.

and yes, i've used letratone all throughout the book. check out some of the b/w samples to see it in it clearer.

thanks!

j

Don't worry, there's not much chance of my opinions gaining any weight round here. ;)

The letratone is funny because it was recently mentioned in the Sean Murphy thread that mechanical tone can't be expected to colour up well. You've posted proof that that's not the case.