Rassmguy

Pandemonium (contains no pandas, but beware spoilers)

Aye, that was proper. No one writes JC like Delano - deep purple monologues, two-fisted political allegories, and all. It's rich meat, but it tastes like what I was weaned on. As ever, things get a bit less interesting when they go to the other place, but it's a great ride.

Cracking art too. I've not read that much of Jock's work before, but it works really well with the story. It seems to end on a bum note though - I could be wrong, but the background skyline in the last panel suggests that John's some distance from where he's supposed to be (and heading the wrong way besides).

He should be on Westminster Bridge heading south, but appears to be on Tower Bridge heading north - did someone get County Hall and City Hall mixed up?

(And while I'm niggling, there's two clues in the script as to exactly when this is supposed to be set, and they're contradictory.)

But generally, top stuff. Much better than 'All His Engines' which (while it was probably Carey's best work) I didn't much rate. Maybe not as disturbing as 'The Horrorist', but a more satisfying story. It's even worth the price of the hardback (love the embossed cover, by the way) - kept me engrossed for a good feature-length read.

(And while I'm niggling, there's two clues in the script as to exactly when this is supposed to be set, and they're contradictory.)

I hadn't picked up on that. Do tell.

I hadn't picked up on that. Do tell.

p55 - Brad was 16 on 11 September 2001, and is now 24. So this must be between 12/11/08 and 10/11/10.

p76 - JC was six when he visited the zoo 'in the fifties'. That fits the fact, from Delano's original run, that he was born in May 1953 - the zoo trip was May or later in 1959. But we're told that the current story is 48 years later, so this is 2007 or, at a stretch, early 2008. JC might be an unreliable narrator, of course.

Actually, it's nice to be reminded that JC's now knocking 60.

Incidentally, it's been fascinating to read this whole thread now that I've read the book - it's just over two years since the first preview pages went up (which might help explain the dating problem). Mr Jock has been an absolute fucking prince, even if he doesn't know his bridges...

JC might be an unreliable narrator, of course.

Maybe the halfling's leaf has slowed his mind. :wink:

Makes me drool.

A perfect 10.

Even better than All His Engines.

This is Delano back at his best. Ranks right alongside all the classic earlier Delano HB stories.

Reminiscent of The Horrorist for the first 20 pages.

This is the John Constantine I fell in love with.

Nice research, Tim. I didn't catch that either.

I could imagine that John's memory is fucked.

he's on vauxhall bridge at the end, no? there is every chance however, that the view you see in the last panel might not comply with that geographically... artistic license i'm afraid!

thanks for all the kind words everyone - this book did turn into a pretty epic undertaking in a lot of ways, and it's great to finally see it out there.

cheers

jock

I just noticed they were very...subdued and dark, and wondered why. Mostly I find it works quite well, given the setting etc, but I felt that sometimes a bit of contrast and/or colour clash could have served to emphasize the heavy use of reds, browns, oranges.

Well, would YOU trust him? :tongue:

Any con artist knows you need to get the little details straight if you want your big lie to be believed. If the mark can't even trust you on what year it is, or what bridge you're standing on, he's not going to be buying it from you.

Unless it's the old double bluff, of course...

Just got my copy. *dances with glee* Jock, it looks spectacular! I really look forward to reading it tonight.

Annoyingly, however, the shop didn't have #264 in stock :mad:

Just finished reading Pandemonium, and thought I'd throw my ha'penny's worth in: tremendous stuff. Great writing (with a minimum of Delano's overly flowery writing), fantastic art. The colouring was beautiful too.

Jock's artwork has come on amazingly from the already great stuff he did on The Losers. Every frame is evocative and subtly tells the story, and is visually striking. The portrayal of Iraq is a wonderful contrast to how we see London in the book, and transfers what we've seen in the likes of The Hurt Locker straight onto the page. Excellent.

For all my disliking of Delano's style in the past, I'd forgotten how well he writes John as a character. The exchange with Brad the soldier and the body armour was just pitch perfect: we see John as a stubborn argumentative piss-taking bastard, but also how he knows when it's just being a bastard for its own sake, backing down after he's made his point. That said, I did think some of the dialogue veered into stereotypical arab-speak - I half expected "a pox of a thousand camels on your father's house, infidel" to crop up at some point. But it didn't diminish my enjoyment in the slightest.

A splendid 10/10.

Oh, minor pedantic point: Jock, if you're reading this, you got the American flag back-to-front on page 48. No problems, but I'll have to confiscate the original. If you just send me the relevant page we'll say no more about it, agreed? :wink:

glad you enjoyed it atticus - thanks for the kind words.

which page do you mean by the way? (my pages are numbered differently to the published...) the checkpoint page? the flag on his arm?

On his arm - it should be the opposite way to normal on the right-hand sleeve of a uniform (so that the "stars" are leading when the soldier moves forward).

stock-photo-detail-of-army-soldiers-sleeve-25208467.jpg

I'm a mine of useless knowledge, me.

not useless, as i clearly could have done with knowing that...

thanks for the heads up.

Finished it a night or two ago. Fantastic! I loved it from beginning to end; I'm inclined to say it was better than the Horrorist, but they are such different books. Tell Jamie "thanks for not referring back to Nergal's stint as a rat", would have distracted from some fine reading. Art was top notch.

not useless, as i clearly could have done with knowing that...

thanks for the heads up.

Most of me feels petty and ashamed for even mentioning it. But my inner pedant feels all fuzzy and warm. Sorry

I just read Pandemonium this past week and I loved it! A great story, and artwork to match. I really enjoyed it. The downside? Wanting the monthly HB to be this good...

9/10

A solid contender for my favourite Hellblazer story of the past ten years. Near-perfect in plot, pacing, characterisation and art. More, please!

I just read Pandemonium this past week and I loved it! A great story, and artwork to match. I really enjoyed it. The downside? Wanting the monthly HB to be this good...

You don't like its current run?

9/10

A solid contender for my favourite Hellblazer story of the past ten years. Near-perfect in plot, pacing, characterisation and art. More, please!

I very much agree. Out of curiosity, what are the other contenders?