Rassmguy

Pandemonium (contains no pandas, but beware spoilers)

hey guys,

sorry it's been so long... hope all is well with you hell'er's...

PANDEMONIUM's coming along nicely, though taking longer than anticipated in order to do jamie's script justice. loads of reference needed, getting environments right (and probably sometimes wrong!) etc.

i was pleased to learn yesterday that my favourite letterer CLEM ROBINS is on the book, and he sent me his first sample page last night. i'll post it here, along with a couple other's to give you a taste.

cheers!

jock

Jock you are the ambassador, these are your Ferrero Rocher and you are truly spoiling us.

That's it — nice one, Red. Perhaps Jock can tell us which is the cover.

neither - i'm working on a new piece to wraparound the whole dust jacket of the HARD cover. i have a version, but it's not there yet - i'll see if i can dig it out to post up here anyway.

the amazon piece was just a sketch that i threw some red on to act as a place holder... sometimes necessary when deadlines strike!

here's the work in progress - i don't think it'll stay as just a headshot, and we need some more reference to the babylonian elements of the story, but i wanted to try this collage/ broken style as a method...

idea3FLATred.jpg

Mmm... interesting... sort of redolent of early Hellblazer covers without being too much like them. I like the depiction of John there and like the crimson. I guess it could do with a little more there to break it up, but not too much, sparseness is good. looks like I'll end up with the hardback on this one.

Jock, I liked the stuff you did on Hellblazer when Mike Carey was writing, but without getting overexcited. Now, if these sheets are anything to go by, I'm really going to be so blown away by it. Really, really good stuff. Thank you.

Jock, I liked the stuff you did on Hellblazer when Mike Carey was writing, but without getting overexcited. Now, if these sheets are anything to go by, I'm really going to be so blown away by it. Really, really good stuff. Thank you.

cheers! #181 was my first dc/vertigo work, and because of that it had it's 'shaky' moments... i threw away and re drew a lot of the pages - out of nerves more than anything else.

i think it's always easier to chase something than to actually have it - and when i got my first batch of dc paper and put that first piece on my drawing board it was difficult to get going. thinking of all those artists that i have admired that had drawn on this same paper, and now it was my turn. as i say, i had a couple of panicked moments!

but, like anything else over time, i've become totally relaxed when i draw and i've learnt A LOT since that first issue, so hopefully PANDEMONIUM will be stronger for it... i'm looking forward to reading it as a whole too, as drawing the thing makes it a protracted experience at the moment.

incidentally, it's only going to be available as a hardback - i don't think there'll be a softback edition, much like mike's ALL HIS ENGINES. (actually, was that released as a s/c recently?)

thanks again for the comments all...

jock

cheers! #181 was my first dc/vertigo work, and because of that it had it's 'shaky' moments... i threw away and re drew a lot of the pages - out of nerves more than anything else.

i think it's always easier to chase something than to actually have it - and when i got my first batch of dc paper and put that first piece on my drawing board it was difficult to get going. thinking of all those artists that i have admired that had drawn on this same paper, and now it was my turn. as i say, i had a couple of panicked moments!

but, like anything else over time, i've become totally relaxed when i draw and i've learnt A LOT since that first issue, so hopefully PANDEMONIUM will be stronger for it... i'm looking forward to reading it as a whole too, as drawing the thing makes it a protracted experience at the moment.

incidentally, it's only going to be available as a hardback - i don't think there'll be a softback edition, much like mike's ALL HIS ENGINES. (actually, was that released as a s/c recently?)

thanks again for the comments all...

jock

Yeah I got it a couple of months ago at the bookstore as a softback...looked like a normal trade...?

VT

I'd be surprised if it wasn't eventually released in softcover but it'll probably be upward of a year after the HC comes out.

Any more word on when this is likely to come out?

These pages look as gorgeous as ever. I've just rechecked the first couple of pages of this thread, and can't remember if this was ever answered - are you colouring it yourself? I hope so, the coloured samples you posted last year were ace.

Cracking pics!

Got to meet Jock ever so briefly at the Leeds Thought Bubble thingy a few weeks ago (thanks again for signing my copy of Faker, Jock!!). Saying how excited we all were about this, I think Jock said that he was now colouring them himself which is obviously darn cool news.

While I can't wait, I think we're all on the same page about being quite happy to wait too!

Do the US or British armies still use Jeeps?

Depends which Transformer John has teamed up with! (This is still a cross-over right? Decepticonstantine?)

Speaking of Jock, has anyone seen that new Christina Aguilera video ?

I'm pretty sure that's some of his art in there, hang on....here (around 1.33 in)

It is. He mentioned it on the panel at Leeds.

cheers guys

Any more word on when this is likely to come out?

yeah, after a little to and fro-ing it's going to be next year now. DC have put me back on the colouring, which is great news for me, but the schedule had to be juggled to allow for it. we've also had an editor change along the way, along with a couple other things which has pushed the book back. apologies for anyone who was expecting it sooner!

Speaking of Jock, has anyone seen that new Christina Aguilera video ?

I'm pretty sure that's some of his art in there, hang on....here (around 1.33 in)

that was indeed me john (as ade says...). i've been doing some film concept work for a DUNE remake/adaptation and the director, pete berg, asked me to supply some images for the CA vid. more details here----

http://jasonaaron.org/blog/2008/10/28/keeps-getting-drawn/

idea6.jpg

err... yes?

(they do now, clearly)

Oh, just wondering because I thought they had switched wholesale to hummer type vehicles. I've not seen a jeep in any current war footage (but admit to not watching a ton of televised news broadcasts, preferring newspapers).

err... yes?

(they do now, clearly)

Oh, just wondering because I thought they had switched wholesale to hummer type vehicles. I've not seen a jeep in any current war footage (but admit to not watching a ton of televised news broadcasts, preferring newspapers).

hey, there's a humvee too... not sure about the jeep. it was in the script, and they always look good visually so i might claim artistic license on that one...

pp67.jpg

err... yes?

(they do now, clearly)

hey, there's a humvee too... not sure about the jeep. it was in the script, and they always look good visually so i might claim artistic license on that one...

pp67.jpg

The jeep reminds me of The Losers.