Carnivorous Vulgaris

The Eagle Comic

Don't know if anyone here was a reader of the monthly Eagle comic back in the late 80's/early 90's but there was a storyline in it called "Survival" that dealt with the eradication of all but a tiny fraction of the Earth's population by a virus and the story of a bunch of children struggling to survive after the catastrophe. It was astoundingly similar to 28 Days Later in many ways and I remember loving it at the time.

Does anyone remember this strip? Or is there anywhere you can download or buy old issues of the Eagle Monthly?

Kejoxen    0

Well I'd say you're first ports of call would be eBay, Google and Wikipedia, I dug up a little info after a few second of searching just to see what's out there, but it'll be your job to read through all that stuff.

Try googling "Eagle survival comic"

Oh, I've searched those avenues. This is the best synopsis of the tale I can find out there -

A plague had spread throughout the Earth, the only survivors were a handful of children and a few adults who had mutated into fearsome creatures. The strip followed one boy as he gradually contacted more of the surviving children. Quite a gripping tale...

Written by someone called D. Horton and illustrated by someone called Ortiz. As for back issues, they're hard to find, even on Ebay.

JasonT    438

It doesn't ring a bell. Was it from the 99%-fumetti days, or was it after they went to newsprint and everything was traditionally illustrated?

EDIT: Ignore that. It would've had to be after the change to newsprint... because that happened back in 19 fucking 83. How the time flies. :sad:

Edited by JasonT

Venkman    0

Can't help you find it but I certainly remember it.

I used to love the Eagle monthly when I was but a young man. Nothing beat 'The Thirteenth Floor' though (not the shitty film - the ex-evil Artificial Intelligence now running a department store story)

Yeah I loved Thirteenth Floor too. Also notable was the Doomlord strip. The last storyline of that character I loved was when aliens invaded Australia (cue gratuitous exclamations of "Strewth!" at every conceivable opportunity).

Kejoxen    0
As I recall, it was actually Matt who picked it up and I just sent it on.

I think you paid for it though. It was the year before wasn't it? 2006 when we went to Bristol but John broke his neck and had to stay at home, then we had a really boring time and have since decided not to go again.

JasonT    438

Arise, undead thread!

Don't know if anyone here was a reader of the monthly Eagle comic back in the late 80's/early 90's but there was a storyline in it called "Survival" that dealt with the eradication of all but a tiny fraction of the Earth's population by a virus and the story of a bunch of children struggling to survive after the catastrophe. It was astoundingly similar to 28 Days Later in many ways and I remember loving it at the time.

Does anyone remember this strip?

http://www.backfromthedepths.co.uk/wordpre...0s-eagle-comic/

Or is there anywhere you can download or buy old issues of the Eagle Monthly?

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...9299E3399597965

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...logID=363826475

Spain    66

Does anyone remember this strip? Or is there anywhere you can download or buy old issues of the Eagle Monthly?

SHIT man!!! I was looking for the fucking same comic book!! I have the first issue translated, my parents bought me in a second hand market somewhere!! So is it famous? Fuuuuck, I did not remember it. I have to look for that online.

Spain    66
Back issues pop up here occasionally: http://www.atomicavenue.com

... but I think eBay UK would be a more likely source. Did you look at the MySpace links I posted above?

I did it fast, very nice. I will check more later.

I got that comic in spanish. Incredible, but true.

Wow! Didn't know my thread had been resurrected. I just googled "Eagle comic Survival" again today purely out of coincidence. Thanks for those links, JasonT!!! :smile:

Spain - I don't know if the story itself could have been described as famous but the Eagle was a hugely popular and influential comic among English and Irish readers (and evidently Spanish readers too!). Definitely something of a cult phenomenon.

I remember when 28 Days Later's promotional campaign began and all I could think of was "Wow! Somebody's adapted Survival!" (This was before I actually saw the film, mind). I had my mates salivating over the prospect of this unearthed gem of a strip that I've been unable to find. Why, oh why did I throw away all my Eagle back issues?!?!?!

JasonT    438
Why, oh why did I throw away all my Eagle back issues?!?!?!

Ouch.

You're welcome for the links. It's a shame the MySpace blog links are broken now — maybe the content has moved elsewhere.

Ná bac leis

As with many artefacts from one's childhood, time's not been especially kind to Survival's opening chapters, not when considered via modern sensibilities. Perhaps I'm being too harsh - the comic was, after all, aimed primarily at children - but there's an overly expositional nature to the first pages of the strip. A conscious desire to dash through the premise, which is inherently fascinating, and dive right into the action. Shame, really. The haunting artwork, however, has aged remarkably well. You can practically feel your skin breaking out into goosebumps looking at the poor wretches who have contracted the virus.