A. Heathen

Revisiting an old subject

Which character should John's sprogs kill?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which character should John's sprogs kill?

• Map
    • Clarice
    • "Watford"
    • Cheryl
    • that lot in Streatham
    • Kit/Zed/Angie
    • Gemma
    • CHAS (are you mad?)
    • write-in nomination

Sorry, I'm lost as to what we're talking about here. I don't think, given the current set-up of the comic, that reintroducing Rich and his family in Reasons to be Cheerful for the sole purpose of killing them off is a good idea.

I'm not clear what this has to do with arms. Can someone explain? You may need to draw diagrams because I'm feeling a bit slow.

You know how a radio and a seat belt are both parts of a car and yet have nothing to do with each other ?

That's like what we were talking about.

Not any more though.

Again, Carey has me stumped. I don't who he could kill off without hurting the functioning of the franchise who would still matter enough to John and the fans. His relationship with Clarice is a thorny one, so I don't see him being totally torn up if she dies, but he'd be upset. I hope Carey doesn't get rid of her because she's the only mage that John can have lunch and a casual conversation with to try to figure something out. She can either be an important part of a story or can appear in an isolated issue. Their conversations aren't like any others in the book in that her cynicism at least matches John's own, and she's one hard bitch, but is still as much of a friend as anyone could be in the competitive magical milieu.

As has been said, Chas is untouchable. Carey and Vertigo aren't going to get rid of the #1 Supporting Comicbook Character of 2004. (You all should thank who/whatever you believe in that the comic industry equivalent of the Constantine team isn't making these decisions.)

Perhaps Angie...but by this point, it wouldn't really matter....

Truthfully, if Carey could do it in a meaningful and lasting way, I would give him kudos for having the "fortitude" to kill of Cheryl. THAT would be a HUGE blow that COULD (read SHOULD) be felt for years to come in H.B.! If this is just going to be a "kill people off for the sake of the plot, make John teary eyed for a bit, then resolve to destroy the enemy" type thing, than no, it really shouldn't be anyone of too much importance. It has to be lasting and "Real" to be Cheryl.

I agree with Josh as to "who could Carey kill who wouldn't mess up the franchise but would still be important enough that John and us fans might care"?!

Personally, I would find it funny if Carey brought back all of Jenkins' supporting cast and killed them off one by one! I just hated them! BUT, the problem there would be myself, as a reader, would be enjoying those deaths and not caring that the people died. And, truthfully, I really couldn't see John shedding too many tears over them dieing at the point either! :lol:

So, besides killing off some of the supporting magicians' circle left over from Ellis' run and "Staring at the Wall", I can't think of anyone to kill off!

That's the problem with the fact that Azzarello's and Carey's runs have really made John into a loner or a man with few "outside contacts".

That's the problem with the fact that Azzarello's and Carey's runs have really made John into a loner or a man with few "outside contacts".

I could see Rosa's kids killing off some of the magicians from Staring at the Wall. That would at least make sense from a strategic point of view, since they could be a threat to Hell's takeover. That wouldn't provide much emotional fodder though, if Map or Clarice aren't killed, too.

The person who writes the solicitation info.

"they’re going after John’s few remaining friends and loved ones"

“Constantine’s three very illegitimate children continue to hunt and destroy his closest friends and allies"

Unless he doesn't give a shit about even his closest friends...

Edit: there's also Abigail Holland as a potential victim, I suppose, but they wouldn't kill her off in Hellblazer when there's already a monthly Swamp Thing on the stands.

100:1

You see it as a problem, I see it as a positive.

Not a problem per se with the comic, but if you wanted to kill some characters off then you have to go back some ways to previous storylines if there is no current supporting cast.

Who says these deaths *have* to make a big emotional impact on John ?

We do, otherwise what would be the point. If they don't have a big emotional impact on John then what sort of effect will they have?

Unless it's a case of stupidity running in the family and like Rosa the kids don't understand John well enough to kill people whose loss would have a traumatic effect on John.

Whose death would have the strongest emotional impact on John ?

Offhand the shortlist would have to be (in no particular order) - Chas, Cheryl and Gemma. There's an argument to be made for both Kit (in Hellblazer mythos John's one true love but continuity wise he gave that all away) and Angie (his current squeeze but they barely know each other).

Yeah but he now has the memories of an entire lifetime spent with Kit, Angie and Zed so killing one of them off would hit him pretty hard since he'd lose any chance of regaining those lost lives.

Assuming that's what he wants, of course. I'd like to see whether John's going to come to miss the comfortable, relaxed life he had with "Kit" in ish 200...

"subtle" would hardly be any of the major friends and family though.

And I cannot believe you are really citing the solicitation writers as insight into Hellblazer - they are crap: either giving away info needlessly or missing the point by a country mile !

Regarding Abby, if Andy Diggle couldn't kill off Tefe, I doubt ...oooh wait ... perhaps they'll finish of the Bog Brat ! That tree one could do it !

Excellent thinking by me !

She said that John was subtle, not that her methods for grinding him down would be.

How do you think John's going to wriggle out of the murder rap they've got on him? Hope that ball doesn't just get dropped...

Oh that's right, but the implication is that subtlety is one of their inherited qualities - since they know his means genetically ... which would kind of make it interesting should John ever *properly* get back the part that was used in creating the Demon Constantine. Because then he'd have Nergal's family traits to hit them back with.

Well, Chas knows about John's murder rap.

Or has a very good idea about it.

Whose death would have the strongest emotional impact on John ?

Gotta be Chas. He's been the one constant character in John's saga so far. Sure they've had they're differences, but they are tried and true best buds. The ladies in John's life come and go but Chas is (almost) always there.

Gotta be Chas. He's been the one constant character in John's saga so far. Sure they've had they're differences, but they are tried and true best buds. The ladies in John's life come and go but Chas is (almost) always there.

GAY!

But won't the police still be looking for him to "help with their enquiries."

Since John's got his Majo Working again, it'd be a fairly simple matter to provide some preventative evidence. Perhaps we'll see that. Perhaps not.

It'd be nice if it was just mentioned in passing at least. You can't have a big single-page splash shot of a newspaper shouting about Constantine being a murderer without later explaining away that subplot.

Well you can, but that'd be crap.

Yes, I didn't mean that it was a problem with the comic that Azzarello and Carey portray John as such a loner, I prefer John to be alone and miserable. Like elec said, I meant it was a problem when you have to kill off people close to John for emotional impact. Hard to find anyone that's going to be "big" enough without shaking up the book, possibly too much.

I'd be pissed as hell if they brought Kit back just to be a murder victim!!!

Abby and Tefe! I didn't think about that! Mainly because they're more involved in "Swamp Thing", BUT remember in #200 we kept seeing Abby turn up dead. Could be foreshadowing! The demons might target those two because Tefe also has John's blood in her, as his "half-daughter".

GAY!

Assuming it hasn't happened already, those boys are one-pint-too-many away from waking up together.

I'd like to see the wanted-for-murder angle addressed too, it was an important part of Rose's plan afterall. I'm trying to remember how Delano wrapped his own murder angle up but I think it just kind of petered out and was forgotten about. Two fuck-ups don't make a right though, I'd be disappointed if it was just forgotten about this time.

I'm trying to remember how Delano wrapped his own murder angle up but I think it just kind of petered out and was forgotten about.

If you're thinking about

John shooting the Family Man in #29 (I think), he just...err...gets away with murder. It's never pinned on him by anyone, the shooting takes place in the middle of nowhere, and there's no reason he should ever have been caught (bloody lucky, mind...). It's a shame it was never addressed again, but I don't think it could technically count as a fuck-up.

Unless, of course, you've got another arc in mind.

Bugger, didn't realise that users couldn't delete their own posts - should be able to do so now folks.

As for the murder, I was talking about....

I was actually talking about the murder of John's former landlady as well as one of the tenants who shared the building with him by Nergal.  John's face was splashed across the cover of The Sun as the police had him down as the chief suspect.

Oh yeah...I'd forgotten about that. Looks like Delano dropped the ball on that one, indeed...

We can now delete posts. Thanks!

Delano had John meet a copper sometime during the Fear Machine arc. The policeman told him that John had never really been a suspect, but they'd released his description to the tabloids because they were baying for blood.

I'd be pissed as hell if they brought Kit back just to be a murder victim!!!

I doubt Carey would do that. I think DC owns the rights to Kit but I always had the feeling she's one of Garth Ennis' favourite characters. I'm sure Mike would ask Garth if he could re-use her and especially if he wanted kill her off.