A. Heathen

Revisiting an old subject

Which character should John's sprogs kill?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which character should John's sprogs kill?

• Map
    • Clarice
    • "Watford"
    • Cheryl
    • that lot in Streatham
    • Kit/Zed/Angie
    • Gemma
    • CHAS (are you mad?)
    • write-in nomination

Assuming it hasn't happened already, those boys are one-pint-too-many away from waking up together.

I certainly hope Chas is getting some ass out of it, he deserves to get John back for screwing him every time. :D

I put down Watford for my choice. I just never liked him. But I also wouldn't mind if Angie died. I thought she was fun at the very beginning, now just...meh. The book could do without another black-haired white woman.

so, is this the "i wish person X died" thread, or "i don't like it, but it seems to me person Y will perish, ands i'm willing to bet on it"?

Can't it be both? :lol:

Honestly, I think it will be Angie. She's the one right now who's close enough to John to make it shocking, but not so close that it will be too life-altering, like Chas or Gemma.

Wouldn't like to see Chas offed, but wouldn't be too annoyed if Chas's whole family gets killed. In fact, why not do a Felix Leiter/Xander Harris and have Chas physically and permanently mutilated in some way. That could screw John up even more than just being killed off and forgotten about.

I'd rather not have his leg bitten off by a shark...

Didn't Mike say that he was going to have Chas lose an ear at some point?

On a related note: http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb....c&f=36&t=002879

I particularly like the line quoted as by Peter David, which paraphrases as "why kill characters who have no potential, why not kill the ones who do have potential?" because that is what often happens in real life.

Incidentally, trivia buffs, name a Hellblazer supporting character who died of natural causes. No points for saying Mary Constantine.

I've heard that being shot by a gun counts as a "natural cause of death" in the US....

OK, the guy from "Dangerous Habits" who dies of cancer. I'd say he counts because John was touched enough to cry at the end of the story, and sing a song by the Pogues to boot!

That's what often happens in real life?! I think people just up and die all the time whether they had potential or not! Doesn't everyone have some type of potential in real life; somewhere, somehow, to someone?!

But, I agree that it's stupid to kill off characters just because they aren't being used anymore. Superhero comics usually do that for a big shock value, I'll use the example of the Legacy Virus in "X-Men". If you don't know, it was a virus that targeted mutants (it was an euphemism for AIDS). To make the virus look threatening, they had to kill off some mutants, so the readers would know it does have the ability to kill. Well, they killed off Illyana Rasputin, which was pretty major, (plus Pyro died off and on, if you count him as major) and then they dug up a bunch of former X-villains who hadn't been used but once, or that hadn't been seen in years. Not much impact other than to show that "Look! This virus can kill you! Look at all these guys getting killed!" :rolleyes:

So, please. We've already had H.B. compared to "X-Men" during Carey's run! Let's hope we never have to think that ever again!

I agree that if you're going to kill someone, don't find a guy John talked to in a pub in one issue who John said was his buddy, but who we never saw or heard from again! But, with John's life so introverted at this time, it does make it hard to find someone to kill off who's not going to come across in that fashion....

Ok, so what about killing off the lead character?

It'd completely change the tone of the book, and doesn't really interest me, but an interesting demise for JC plus his follow-up "adventures in hell" would be another way forward.

I've heard that being shot by a gun counts as a "natural cause of death" in the US....

Who did you hear that from, Michael Moore? :rolleyes:

Nah, that's my own brand of "anti-American" humour, Josh.

Yes, Jack! John could be killed off and replaced by a younger, black haired guy who takes John's clothes and puts them on, thereby becoming THE ALL NEW, ALL IMPROVED HELLBLAZER! If sales don't improve after a year, the NEW HELLBLAZER could go to Hell and free John's soul, and they could TEAM UP!

On a serious note:I want to see the series end with John's death. No other ending will ever appease me for "Hellblazer".

The problem with this comic, of course, is that we know that death won't be the end for John, so there're loads more stories to be told about him in Hell.

But what about the promised alternate ending where he instead ascends to heaven and due to some mix-up he is actually allowed to return to Earth and lives happily ever after as a used car salesman with a wife named Jane.