Kejoxen

The Shittest Character In Hellblazer, Ever!

The Shittest Character In Hellblazer, Ever!  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the shittiest?

• Rich The Punk
    • First of The Fallen
    • Aleister Crowley
    • King of Vampires
    • Agent Turro
    • Angie Spatchcock
    • Chris Cole
    • S. W. Manor
    • Papa Midnite
    • Master Of The Third
    • Nigel The Drop
    • Zombie Ade

But Jenkins not only went to the ever-so-comedic well of "foreigners speak funny" that was more in the vein of 'Allo 'Allo (see the "I slept in piss" remark)

See also: most of British comedy. Malin and I have discussed this a few times (try explaining to anyone who isn't British, for example, just why the 'Channel 9' stuff from The Fast Show was funny - most of it boils down to "because they talk differently from us") - it's remarkable how how attached we Brits are to the intrinsic hilarity of People Who Don't Come From Around Here And Their Funny Foreign Ways. Sure, there are elements of that sort of shorthand-xenophobia in the comic traditions of just about every nation, but we Brits have elevated it to an artform.

but we Brits have elevated it to an artform.

Yeah, and one in which Garth Ennis excels at. Not that I didn't laugh at certain bits of Adventures In The Rifle Brigade, or The Frenchman's origin in The Boys, but I find it very problematic when you insert such a broad caricature in an otherwise more grounded not-exclusively-comedic narrative, as a comic relief (with a dark past). It's jarring and especially if you can boil the character down to "that funny-talking angry murderous Serb".

And yeah, those bits of the Fast Show fell flat for me, though I love-love-love that show.

And yeah, those bits of the Fast Show fell flat for me, though I love-love-love that show.

Whereas even to this day, I still find those bits of The Fast Show to be consistently hilarious, though I think a lot of the show has dated terribly. Because after all, foreign types really do talk differently from the way I talk, and that really is automatically funny (hey, just because I'm perceptive enough to notice a negative trait in Britain's national character doesn't mean I'm not still susceptible to it).

Hence, I suspect, the fact that my non-British wife and I have had the discussion in question more than just once (although she herself doesn't actually talk with a particularly amusing accent, which is a constant source of disappointment to me).