jae

another one bites the dust....

Yeah I was thinking the same thing,Preacher rip off.This was based on both Fabry's covers and also where they seemed to want to take the story but if you* say I might like it,then I'll add it to my list of books** I'll give a shot at next time I'm in a shop and angry as hell that one by one most titles I read get canceled or start to suck***.

* and Lou,Poet,McMahon and Spider.

** along w/A.S.Superman,Seven Soldiers,X-factor,Spawn#166,Planetary,NightlyNews,and this "Alan Moore"person.

***Daredevil,please continue to go fuck yourself thanks.

and James do you mean "Rebel" as in southern United States?I know some or a few of the characters are immortal,just wanted to clarify.

I don't think there's any direct connection with the US Civil War, although much the family is entirely in favour of seceding from the US and establishing its own compound. Certainly the oldest member of the family is implied to be hugely influential in (then-)modern politicial circles.

I meant that they were outlaws who paid no heed to the US legal system, although they (or at least the "good guys") weren't out and out rebels.

The collected edition costs about $16 for 19 issues and I certanily enjoyed it, although you can tell the point at which the kill order came through from Vertigo because one character changes sides with virtually no build-up and others have their story arcs speeded up or even dropped into the background. It's not something I could unequivocally recommend because I can see why people wouldn't like it, but it's not exactly going to break the bank...

I should add that Outlaw Nation is nothing like Preacher, except that they both have a modern-day Western feel and neither quite lives up to its promise as a satire on American life.

It failed because DC should have released it as a series of OGNs.

Or at least made some sort of effort to promote it.

I dunno that reprinting it as a series of bind ups would have worked too well as it wasn't broken up into neatly contained six issue storylines. The fact that it had a big, continually unfolding and connecting soap opera approach rather than being edited with a whip and chair into self contained story arcs was a big part of its appeal, imo. No bugger else was doing that then, at least not through one of the big mainstream companies.

Guest spiderlegs
Becky Cloonan, the original artist is pretty good.

Understatement right there, she's a Manga-esque Frank Quitely.

It is an understatement because while I was reading DEMO, I emailed her to gush about how wonderful I thought her art for that book was.

i believe army of love should be the next one....

I'd agree, even though I've never read it. Just for the unecessary use of "@" in the title. What the fuck is that all about?

Does the "@" symbol have an actual name, by the way?

@ is "at". So really the title should be read as Army at Love.

[edit]Which makes no fucking sense. Is the title Army of Love or Army @ Love. This kind of shit just messes with my mind.

Aye, I know that. But does it have a name, in the same way that the "&" is an ampersand?

Army At Love is a play on the title Army At War....Love and War....get it? ha ha

As funny and clever as the other jokes in that book.

Well that's just such a shit joke.

If you have to explain it, then it's never going to be funny.

A satire about a military occupation where the author doesn't have the balls to name names obviously doesn't stand a chance, does it?

Those numbers Scalped is selling bugs me.Actually most all of those numbers really bother the hell out of me(Jack of fables outselling HB,at all,nonetheless by that much is obscene)when you see what the average random mini from one of the big two sells.

I just read the first issue of Scalped and it's really excellent."Dash" Badhorse has gotta be the best new character in years.Alot of people have been talking about how good the story by Jason Aaron is,and it is,but it is complimented quite nicely by the artist R.M.Guerra,who draws like the bastard offspring of Kyle Baker & David Lloyd.Has anybody else started to give this a go?

I read the first trade in a shop awhile ago. Good stuff. I grew up a mile or so from the Yakama Reservation in Washington; and the rez' atmosphere was definitely nailed in the comic.

I read the first trade in a shop awhile ago. Good stuff. I grew up a mile or so from the Yakama Reservation in Washington; and the rez' atmosphere was definitely nailed in the comic.

Interesting.I'm not surprised,the way Aaron dropped in little bits of lingo and slang into the dialogue,I'd bet he researched the hell out of it.it all feels subtle enough to be real,which is a much smarter way to go than just having the protaganist call everybody white man or cracker and wearing Rage Against the Machine t-shirts,I appreciate that Dash is basically mad at most everyone regardless of what side of the fence there on.

Of great interest in this thread, even though it refers to collections:

http://brianwood.livejournal.com/481922.html

Thought I would update, as I got new royalty statements in the mail.

DMZ v2: Body of A Journalist, as of June 30: 12,588

So from the end of April to the end of June, two months, that's 2,790 additional copies (and counting, since many more have been sold in the last four months). And just to further beat you all with the point we've been making all this time, that these sales charts are fiction - they would tell you that this book has sold, to date, significantly less than half of the actual amount. The writer of the CBR article, John Mayo I think, had gone and amended some of the language in his article to reflect how incomplete the numbers were, but I wanted to post this info anyway. I've gotten many demands to "leak" numbers, since I am so vocal on this subject, but telling you my orders and sales numbers is something I have always done, not just for Vertigo, and often against the wishes of some (past) publishers.

(also, my royalty statements show that the DMZ single issues are still selling, even all the way back to #13, which is a year ago. on average, the singles sell between 1,300 and 2,000 ((and counting)) over what the reported numbers say)

I was thinking of doing something with the charts and wondered what to do with those "add ons" that come from sales after month of publication. It annoys me that since they added those, several small press books vanish off the charts. I guess it's a vague analysis, but if I go ahead I'll avoid the follow up sales.

I actually full hardly agree with what Brian is talking about... I didn't know it for some time but I think the point of the thread was that vertigo has published some sub par material as of lately and that readership has gone down. i would never actually think they would drop DMZ as it is one of the best comics out there at least I agree. I also think we need to get rid of ratings in general on a lot of things and do the tally by numbers. What he mentioned about the bestseller list is completely accurate two writers can sell the same of books in a year and yet one is regarded as a bestseller and one is not due to velocity which to me is b.s and hypes the market with jodi picoult novels and other worthless things imho.

I actually full hardly agree with what Brian is talking about... I didn't know it for some time but I think the point of the thread was that vertigo has published some sub par material as of lately

Sorry, but I don't actually understand what you're trying to say here. Could you please try to rephrase it?

{edited for politeness}

{further edited because now you've added stuff which makes some sense of your initial post. I should point out, though, that "full hardly agree" is utter gibberish, and until you edited your post I honestly didn't know if you were agreeing or disagreeing with Brian Wood's point. Now that you've added further commentary, I suspect that you meant to say something like "full-heartedly agree", which makes a bit more sense}

I actually full hardly agree with what Brian is talking about... I didn't know it for some time but I think the point of the thread was that vertigo has published some sub par material as of lately

What in the name of the sweet baby Moses does this actually mean? Could we have a translation into something vaguely approximating English, please?

He's talking about sales standards and how they calculate how many of a book actually sells. When the actual adjustments are made like in his royalty checks he sees the book has sold more than the market index based on percentages of royalty of book sold per actually quotient price of the book on sales chart roughly

in other words ,he got paid for selling 9,000 on his royalty check but the book list on listed him as selling 3000 copies to which his royalty check would have been lower. He's basically saying the the list of books sold are a sham

Tu comprende

From LITG:

KILLS ALL KNOWN BUGS

"Exterminators" is one of my favourite Vertigo titles. The escalating war of attrition between man and bug. Think of it as "The Wire," but with creepy crawlies.

Well, according to series inker John Lucas on the Stablepop podcast on the 25th of freaking November, the book is cancelled from issue 30, shipping in May. Either no one cares about "Exterminators" as much as I do, or no one listens to Stablepop.

Well that slashed the number of Vertigo titles i was picking up by approximately half. What a fuck cock of a decision.

Bah! I really enjoy that. The Exterminators, Crossing Midnight and Hellblazer are the only Vertigo comics I pick up monthly.

That said, it does feel like it's thrashing about looking for a direction at the moment, so hopefully this will at least give the series a clear path to follow.

Simon Oliver's got my next couple of quid, whenever he gets another monthly up and running.