jae

another one bites the dust....

Isn't Crossing Midnight finishing up too ?

The Exterminators never really seemed to catch fire, at least not for me, the initial build was alright but then it all just sort of petered out.

I'm gonna throw this one out there because it's one of the two titles that got me reading Vertigo, Hellblazer being the other. That title would be Sandman Mystery Theatre. I freaking love that series. Not so much for the recent mini though. It just wasn't the same.

St. Finn, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but Sandman Mystery Theatre was cancelled about 10 years ago.

I was really sad too, as it is one of the best titles Vertigo ever published, but I probably got over it after about a year. You need to let go.

Isn't Crossing Midnight finishing up too ?

Christ, I hope not. I haven't heard any word of cancellation. Ade?

From LITG:

KILLS ALL KNOWN BUGS

"Exterminators" is one of my favourite Vertigo titles. The escalating war of attrition between man and bug. Think of it as "The Wire," but with creepy crawlies.

Well, according to series inker John Lucas on the Stablepop podcast on the 25th of freaking November, the book is cancelled from issue 30, shipping in May. Either no one cares about "Exterminators" as much as I do, or no one listens to Stablepop.

Well that slashed the number of Vertigo titles i was picking up by approximately half. What a fuck cock of a decision.

That was a long time coming and if you went on bkv.tv Simon actually posted that the series would end sometime this year but he wasn't sure when it would end... oh well it was good series while it lasted...

Christ, I hope not. I haven't heard any word of cancellation. Ade?

I thought I read something about it going away over Christmas, you know how that season goes, so hang on a mo...

Here you go.

A little further digging shows that Williams was just talking about his own involvement in the series, so ignore me then (yay!).

St. Finn, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but Sandman Mystery Theatre was cancelled about 10 years ago.

I was really sad too, as it is one of the best titles Vertigo ever published, but I probably got over it after about a year. You need to let go.

Hey man I hold a grudge like nobody else.

i'm still pissed off at what happened to the invisibles Ithink he never should have split into volumes and people sometimes don't let a great story come around and so what if the matrix stole his idea I would used it anyway and sued the wachowskis...

I loved the 2nd story arc where they went back in time... to get the marquis de sade and then Dane reawakens in the present with orlando cutting his finger off

Deep breaths young man, deep breaths.

Now, what exactly happened to The Invisibles ?

Some quick figures from November care of The Beat...

(These are normally off by up to thousands but are useful for trending and base comparison purposes)

204 - THE EXTERMINATORS (Vertigo)

09/2007: The Exterminators #21 — 7,950 (- 4.1%)

10/2007: The Exterminators #22 — 7,792 (- 2.0%)

11/2007: The Exterminators #23 — 7,461 (- 4.3%)

206 - SCALPED (Vertigo)

09/2007: Scalped #9 — 7,678 (- 3.3%)

10/2007: Scalped #10 — 7,536 (- 1.9%)

11/2007: Scalped #11 — 7,323 (- 2.8%)

210 - AMERICAN VIRGIN (Vertigo)

09/2007: American Virgin #19 — 7,487 (- 3.1%)

10/2007: American Virgin #20 — 7,228 (- 3.5%)

11/2007: American Virgin #21 — 6,893 (- 4.6%)

218 - ARMY@LOVE (Vertigo)

09/2007: Army@Love #7 — 7,310 (- 7.0%)

10/2007: Army@Love #8 — 7,010 (- 4.1%)

11/2007: Army@Love #9 — 6,617 (- 5.6%)

232 - TESTAMENT (Vertigo)

05/2007: Testament #18 — 6,963 (- 3.2%)

06/2007: –

07/2007: Testament #19 — 6,225 (-10.6%)

08/2007: –

09/2007: Testament #20 — 6,061 (- 2.6%)

10/2007: –

11/2007: Testament #21 — 5,596 (- 7.7%)

234 - CROSSING MIDNIGHT (Vertigo)

09/2007: Crossing Midnight #11 — 5,870 (- 4.4%)

10/2007: Crossing Midnight #12 — 5,754 (- 2.0%)

11/2007: Crossing Midnight #13 — 5,519 (- 4.1%)

i'm still pissed off at what happened to the invisibles Ithink he never should have split into volumes and people sometimes don't let a great story come around and so what if the matrix stole his idea I would used it anyway and sued the wachowskis...

Whoa there...less haste, more coherence, young grasshopper. Punctuation, capitalisation and intelligible sentence structures are not the enemy. They are your friends, to be loved, cherished and gainfully employed as often as possible.

Anyway...what are you on about? So far as I'm aware, The Invisibles didn't get cancelled, it finished. There's a difference. Or are you referring to something else?

234 - CROSSING MIDNIGHT (Vertigo)

09/2007: Crossing Midnight #11 — 5,870 (- 4.4%)

10/2007: Crossing Midnight #12 — 5,754 (- 2.0%)

11/2007: Crossing Midnight #13 — 5,519 (- 4.1%)

Fucking hell! I was really looking forward to seeing this one blossom, too.

And regarding The Invisibles - as Mark says, it wasn't cancelled, it reached the conclusion that Morrison was always aiming for. The volumes thing was the result of poor sales, but the re-tooled second volume is what kept the series afloat. I'm all for allowing stories to reach their natural conclusion, but you can't blame companies for pulling the plug on comics that are selling bugger all so that there's a slot free for someone else who might have a better idea.

Also, the splitting-into-volumes thing isn't all bad - I'd say that the jarring tonal shifts between volumes works contribute nicely to the overall effectiveness of the structure of the series. Dunno if that's how Morrison would have told the story anyway, or a result of adapting to fit the new publishing structure, but it worked out pretty well either way.

He's said in interviews that the change to a more action-based style was done intentionally to make it more accessible after the de Sade arc almost killed the entire series.

See also the more accessible Phil Jiminez/Chris Weston art. Of course it still goes mental right at the end, but it's considerably less hardcore in its crazy sci-fi shit than the first volume.

Whoa there...less haste, more coherence, young grasshopper. Punctuation, capitalisation and intelligible sentence structures are not the enemy. They are your friends, to be loved, cherished and gainfully employed as often as possible.

Anyway...what are you on about? So far as I'm aware, The Invisibles didn't get cancelled, it finished. There's a difference. Or are you referring to something else?

I know it didn't get cancelled... but I hate it when i writer has to write a story for everybody and not for the people who love mind blowing shit that makes you think... I loved the one shots with crow and the soldier king mob shot at the harmony house... I like the second volume too. The third volume the art work was shite but sometimes it happens to books that sell a lot to... look for instance at uncanny x men after john romita jr took over after brandon peterson I think it was issue 300... (it's a joke) I always felt that the invisibles could have been something more... it's why if I ever become famous for being or a writer... I'm buying the rights to it and making hbo series or a movie out of it...

Hopefully Grant Morrison loves The Invisibles too much to ever let anyone get their hands on it.

Besides the poor ending (which I believe Morrison would've ended up with, regardless), I found The Invisibles to be near perfect.

The Matrix nabbed a lot of ideas from The Invisibles, and dumbed them down, but they stole a lot of other science fiction writers ideas also. I don't have a huge problem with The Matrix using actually good fiction as reference material, especially since Morrison nabbed a lot of his ideas from Robert Anton Wilson and Terence McKenna to start with.

True Morrison grabbed his ideas from other but what made it spectacualr was that he made them his own and incorparated them into a really cool comic... and i swear one day I will own the rights to the invisibles...

Arse. Maybe I should start buying Spawn and see if they cancel that?

Yes, but I'm sure Steven Seagle meant well.

Oh. You mean it's canceled? I thought you were just referring to the fact that it had no soul.

Are there any ongoing titles left at Vertigo besides Hellblazer at this point?

Scalped, which is quite good but is down around all the other dead titles in terms of numbers.

There's a fair few actually, now that I think about it - Northlanders, Fables, 100 Bullets, Jack Of Fables, DMZ, Loveless and The Un-Men.

Scalped is excellent. I can only hope the trades shore it up.

And John, how could you forget The Vinyl Underground?

John had the foresight to realize if it makes it to 10 issues, it'll be sheer luck/incompetence/nepotism.

God, a lot of those Vertigo titles are pretty bad. I had no idea most of the lot were ongoing books.

scalped is awesome my book at the comic bookstore only gets in fables, exterminators, jack, north, dmz and hellblazer wow

vinyl underground dont even waste yr time...

and virgin never had a soul it was cantenkerous flop from issue one..