jae

another one bites the dust....

I bought the first five issues of the Un-Men for a bargain price the other day so will not switch my Vertigo funds to that, once Crossing Midnight sadly concludes.

I do think that the big Vertigo success stories have been the ones that have surprised the editors quite how much they've crossed into the mainstream (ie - Sandman, Lucifer, and Y the LM) so it is unpredictable what will be the next offbeat yet mainstream hit.

Godawful rehashes of Sandman Mystery Theatre and Deadman are NOT the way to do it.

I like that Vertigo has its own universe and do wish there'd be a proper Phantom Stranger series (ooh, baby) but I think a number of Vertigo creators are making strange choices for what they think will be popular considering the opportunities they have for audiences outside the medium.

Wow, now that was some wittered bullshit! Better get back to my pitch for a Phantom Stranger series, hadn't I! :rolleyes:

Hellblazer, DMZ, Scalped, Crossing Midnight & Northlanders.

What else have you got for us Karen Berger ?

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/cr...y_interview_13/

For obvious reasons I am looking forward to The Alcoholic. But hasn't it been two years since it was announced?

SPURGEON: Let me ask you a kind of silly question. I was looking at forthcoming books and the issue number on Hellblazer made my eyes pop.

BERGER: That's our longest-running title.

SPURGEON: It's kind of an underplayed success story in comics, for a character that's not a superhero character or attending Riverdale High to have a comic for that long -- not just in terms of modern-day books, but for the history of comics, period. I was wondering about this the other day: is John Constantine just a demented version of Dr. Who, in that the appeal is to see all these different writers play him, or is it something else?

BERGER: [laughs] I'd never heard it put like that before.

SPURGEON: You always hear about various writers' versions: Warren [Ellis]' or Jamie [Delano]'s and now Andy [Diggle]'s... Seriously, though, do you have any special insight as to what's appealing about that character? Because very few characters of any kind with that level of recognition and potency, that kind of pop culture weight, have been created in the last 30 years.

BERGER: Beats me. [laughs] He just happens to be a great character. He's got the great fuck-you attitude we want all of our anti-heroes to have. He's got that haunted deep side that makes him more complex. His stories have social relevance -- starting with what Alan [Moore] and Jamie did back in the day. That's always been part of the series, the political backdrop. Some writers mine that differently than other. Some play into the straight, supernatural aspects, too, which is great. I think it's a great horror book, and different writers bring out different aspects of that. He's just such a cool character. That's my take on it.

It does seem there have been quite a few appealing titles announced as coming from Vertigo....but they never appear.

The Alcoholic was announced at the same time as Jason Aaron's "The Other Side" was announced.

Hmm, so what Vertigo titles have been announced but not solicited? Not counting stuff like Bizarre Boys, which is long dormant, or Love Street, which has been buried.

The Alcoholic

City Lights

Denise Mina's serial killer graphic novel

Ian Rankin's Hellblazer graphic novel/miniseries/whatever

City Lights and The Alcoholic were the two that came to my mind.

I do seem to have vague memories, when The Alcoholic was announced, of Vertigo announcing they planned to have a non-genre line of comics.

Reading the one shot that Vertigo put out to celebrate there tenth anniversary is a bit like listening to Scott Dunbier,two years ago,talk about all the exciting projects Wildstorm has lined up in the near future.

When does 100 Bullets finish? You fear they're looking at heat death after that's ended now that's Y: The Last Man is done, Rak?

Issue #88 just came out, so if it stays on schedule, it should be done in exactly 12 months' time. Either way, I can't imagine it won't be over before the end of 2009, which will leave a hell of a gap in Vertigo's line.

Won't it just? I think Rak may be onto something, when you piut it like that.

Same here - haven't heard much about it one way or another, but Wood's generally pretty solid. If the word's good, I'll pick it up.

Anyone reading Northlanders ?

Brian Wood writing vikings, I'm waiting for the trade myself.

I like nearly everything Brian Wood has done, but Northlanders #1 sucked one ball dry before having a go at the other. The protagonist is a dick, a viking dick, at that. And it's the age old redoing of 'Hamlet': uncle evil kills daddy and takes his kingdom until his son comes back to claim his throne, then uncle kicks his nephew's ass but the nephew comes back 'from the dead' to wreak havoc." Blah. My dog shits more interesting turds.

"My dog shits more interesting turds."

:)

I wonder if they'll use that as a quote for the back of the bind up?

Expect the next Vertigo title that goes under to be 'The Un-Men'.

...by simple of virtue of the fact that I've just started reading and enjoying it. Hence it's inevitable demise :(

Anyone reading Northlanders ?

Brian Wood writing vikings, I'm waiting for the trade myself.

I like nearly everything Brian Wood has done, but Northlanders #1 sucked one ball dry before having a go at the other. The protagonist is a dick, a viking dick, at that. And it's the age old redoing of 'Hamlet': uncle evil kills daddy and takes his kingdom until his son comes back to claim his throne, then uncle kicks his nephew's ass but the nephew comes back 'from the dead' to wreak havoc." Blah. My dog shits more interesting turds.

Send me one of your Dogs turds then, because i liked the three issues of this so far, and one reads better when paired with the second issue, so waiting for the trade may be the way to go for you guys.

I just can't stand Sven. He's not a likable hero to me and part of reading comics for me is rooting for the hero to win or rooting for the bad guys to kick the good guys asses. When the good guy is a dick, it hurts my puny brain sized pea. I meant pea sized brain.

I just can't stand Sven. He's not a likable hero to me and part of reading comics for me is rooting for the hero to win or rooting for the bad guys to kick the good guys asses. When the good guy is a dick, it hurts my puny brain sized pea. I meant pea sized brain.

Your loss

I'm pretty sure that part of Sven's journey will be his turning into a more likeable less hard character.

what fun is it to read about a character who is all virtue. It's one of the reasons i don't like Superman, I don't want to read wonderbread.

With a new character in a new book, i expect some hard edges that will be softened during the course of the story.

Still, we don't have to like the same thing, that's why Post makes both Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles.

I think having an unlikable character gives it more of story. I have to agree i cant stand superman due to that fact. make superman into a complete jerk adds some story to the character