Mercury727

Hellboy 2

I enjoyed this one a lot myself. The fact that it was a sort of modern dress fantasy epic made up for the fact that the tonk out of Bros was playing a smudgy photocopy of Elric Of Melnibone. I like urban fantasies a lot, but this was the first one I've seen that makes this work onscreen properly, and the mixing of huge swathes of Bond type "diplomacy" into a trad Fantasy Trilogy sort of plot was a very nice touch. The character stuff was great as well.

I enjoyed this one a lot myself. The fact that it was a sort of modern dress fantasy epic made up for the fact that the tonk out of Bros was playing a smudgy photocopy of Elric Of Melnibone. I like urban fantasies a lot, but this was the first one I've seen that makes this work onscreen properly, and the mixing of huge swathes of Bond type "diplomacy" into a trad Fantasy Trilogy sort of plot was a very nice touch. The character stuff was great as well.

Just what I thought too. Didn't quite understand the lukewarm response this got, myself.

The brilliant swathes of imagination on display alone made me love this movie.

Very true. (The hidden market scenes in particular give precisely the same frisson as you got from watching the cantina scene in Star Wars when your age was still in single figures.) I could probably have done without the Barry Manilow singalong, though.

Just saw this on a flight the other day. What a loose, fun romp. Visually stunning. Loved it! Never saw the first or read the books, but might have to check them out now.

Read the comics from the beginning (the ones that Mignola wrote AND drew).

Some of the best comics of the '90s. That may sound like damning praise, but it ain't.

The official site has gone live. I just watched the intro from Abe Sapien and I have to say the original actor's voice doesn't sound a whole lot different from that of that bloke from Frasier who voiced him in the first film, wonder why they bothered really, not that Niles did a bad job or anything.

If you look at the special features on the original Hellboy, Doug Jones (actor IN the suit) actually recorded Abe's lines. His voice is a little too theatrical and childish. David Hyde Pierce did a much better job. In Hellboy II, Doug Jones did his best to stay true to Hyde Pierce's representation of the character. That is my best guess as to 1) why it didn't sound too different from the first Abe and 2) why he wasn't used in the first place.

The hidden market scenes in particular give precisely the same frisson as you got from watching the cantina scene in Star Wars when your age was still in single figures.

I've just seen it on DVD and I thought the exact same thing when that scene unfolded :)

I didn't like it much as the first, in its entirety, even though it felt tighter than its precedessor, but you got to hand it to Del Toro, he's a master when it comes to art design, which is what redeemed the film for me, in combination with the few, characteristically Hellboyish teenage romance sequences that made the first one so charming. Krauss was a great addition to the cast as well, even with his clearly British German accent, but none of the them came even close to Kroenen, who's unchangedly, still the best villains of all time. Of all time!!! Selma Blair could still not act for shit, however, and I missed more scenes with John Hurt and the former voice actor of Sapien, respectively. This film also marks the first time that I was bored by an Elfman score, the loose, uninspired tunes just could not hold a candle to Del Toro's incredibly amazing creature designs (Especially the golden army suits and Hellboy's death blew me away). There was a distinct lack of substance, too, and many lines did not deliver in the humour department, but the visuals, some technical limitations aside, really were worth the time and dough.

On a side note, am I the only one who thought the prince looked uncannily reminiscent of Cruise's eldering Lestat?