JohnMcMahon

Constantine Adaptation in comic shops this week

More of a heads up for non-comic readers this - the comic adaptation of the Constantine movie comes out this week.

It should be available from Wednesday in the US, and Thursday in the UK.

I guess it won't come out in Holland? Just like the book? And the Premiere magazine?

Gosh. I just LOVE living in a small, not even visible on a globe, blessed with a prime minister that resemles Harry Potter country called Holland. I LOVE it. :icon_twosgun:

People, can I make a dumb question? If it's the movie adaptation, as a comic, all details about the movie are there, aren't? So, it's not a bit "early" to people to know all the elements, developments and plot twists of the movie by reading the comic? :huh: Wouldn't it hurt the movie in someway?

And, Shanice, don't feel bad, you're not alone in the world. Here in Brazil (that, although larger than some can imagine, sometimes isn't visible on the globe too :cool: ) we don't have these things either. Well, who lives in the big cities, yeah, they have some goodies, but I live in a very very small city where the word "comic" is the same as "uh? Ahhh... Do you want a Mickey Mouse Magazine"... :glare:

Oh I'm sure it'll come out in Holland - you'll only find it in comic shops though - I think comics come out in Holland on Thursdays.

It's not unheard of for adaptations to come out this early - the last Star Wars adaptation came out a month or so before the flick aired.

The only people hurt by this early release will be the people who have read the script ;-)

Since I would rather people get the comic ... no more spoilers from me.

I expect Steven R Seagle will have improved some of the story.

At a push, it's going to sell around 40,000 in direct market comics shops, and probably won't hit the proper book shops until the rubbish trade paperback collection comes out.

D'you really think it'll sell 40,000 issues? I'd expect around the same figure as the monthly - half interested Keanu/Rossdale/whoever fans, half Hellblazer fans who want to know the awful truth without paying $10 for a cinema ticket.

Oh if it comes out here I won't buy it untill I've seen the movie. But the comic-movie-Constantine must resemble Keanu though. I don't really get the thought behind those movie comics...It's the same story as the movie right? No differences? So why do they make it anyway? I look forward more to the book, cauze they give lots of extra info like the thoughts feelings etc of the characters. I hope the comics come online somewhere....along with the book. Cos i'm sure that book won't come out in Ollanda.

Let's see:

1.Most movie comic adaptations come out a few months before the movie. I've never understood that either, as it's a Spoiler!

2.Yes, I'm almost positive that Constantine will look like Keanu Reeves in this adaptation.

3.I guess some collectors just like having all sorts of crazy things that are affiliated with the movie!

If you have to wait 6-8 months for the DVD to come out of the movie, you can buy the book and remember your fond memories of the movie over and over until you can purchase the DVD.

They do book adaptations of most films that have nothing to do with comics. As you said, the writers can add "behind the scenes" moments of the characters that the movie could not do (for various reasons). I own the "Star Wars" novel adapatations of the movies.

D'you really think it'll sell 40,000 issues? I'd expect around the same figure as the monthly - half interested Keanu/Rossdale/whoever fans, half Hellblazer fans who want to know the awful truth without paying $10 for a cinema ticket.

Well, it's dealers ordering from Diamond not just the fans, but your probably right.

I'm thinking that they'll add a few on to the regular orders, and there'll be a load more sales outside of comic shop regulars.

I see the Catwoman book sold less than the monthly, but perhaps the negative vibe about that was big where as Constanteen it is just us.

I dunno, I can't imagine anyone who pays to read Hellblazer on a monthly basis will be too thrilled with how the film has turned out. I think the buzz from fans of the book, not just the 30-40 that gather here has been pretty bad. From what I can gather, myself aside, this board gives a pretty moderate opinion of the film compared with most HB readers.

Yeah. I don't movie adaptations are exactly the hottest property in comics.

On the note about H.B. fans not being pleased with this movie; I've got a similar reaction from friends I have who work at comic book stores.

They don't even read "Hellblazer"! They've read a few stories here and there, they know who and what (broadly) John Constantine is. And, they have the same reaction as use devoted John Constantine fans!

Even my girlfriend, who could care less about H.B. other than the fact that I adore J.C., who has only seen John Constantine on the cover of my issues and whose only real expierence of John (other than the few issues of H.B. I have read to her) is from "Sandman" #3 (I got her to become a Neil Gaiman fan! :biggrin: ); said that Hollywood made some awful decisions with this film and doesn't want to see a movie called "Constantine" with Keanu Reeves.

I wish D.C. would have done something interesting by having the "real" John Constantine star in the movie adaptation comic. Have the exact same plot and dialogue but draw our John in place of Keanu. Just for kicks. Sort of like the last few James Bond film novelizations where due to legal reasons it was the literary Bond put into the film Bond's scripts.

Just thinking about the way comics are solicited and written/drawn so far in advance and wondering if the creative team will have had a chance to incorporate any changes made during the recent reshoots.

These things are usually based on the original scripts. I know a lot of novelisations I used to read as a kid were often subtly different to the actual films.

Guest spiderlegs

I will, too. When I read it, I will take an "Elseworlds" approach to it. This is a "what if..?" story that turns JC into a different character, kind of like the trend in the 90s with all the Batman as vampire books. Batman isn't a vampire, and John Constantine isn't a brunette American huckleberry with a holy shotgun. Elseworlds...

What if John Constantine was a Christian?

Someone do me a favour and scan this in. I'd like to see how much of the movie they include but I don't want to have to fork out for it.

What if John Constantine was a Christian?

It could be possible, probally more specifically a Catholic.

It's funny, really, because the script says that he's a lapsed Catholic, but the stuff about only getting into Heaven if you ask for God's forgiveness seems awfully fundamentalist.

Well yes. But so do lots of terrible things.