Sign in to follow this  
Jon

covers

Being a bit of an artist myself and being into graphic desing and shit, i have always been fascinated by some comic book covers.

There are some amazing artists out there so i thought maybe we cols all post some pics of our favourite covers.

Here is my current favourite cover:

detective comics 577

Oh boy....there are so many great covers. Part of the fun of collecting comics is just to have those old issues in the box after reading them so you can look through the covers.

Most of the Marvel books from the 60s-late 70s had just plain amazing covers that were such a joy to look at. They don't make covers like that anymore, that's for sure.

I'm also a sucker for painted covers. Anything with a painted cover draws my attention. McKean and Sienkiewicz are, of course, masters; but I mean really any painted cover. I admit it.

I'll try to get back to this topic.

Great picks Christian,except for the Sienkiewicz* one.He's one of the all time great cover artists but that's hardly his best.

*If you trick him into saying this backwards he has to draw a cover for you or return to his homeworld for 30 days.

he he

Yeah, I'm drawing a blank about great Sienkiewicz covers at the minute. I wanted to include a really awesome Sienkiewicz cover, but Moon Knight covers were all I could come up with....and I thought that was one was pretty cool looking....but I know it's not his best work.

What else did he do covers on?

Oh. New Mutants....

ummm

God, sometimes my memory goes so blank!

he he

Yeah, I'm drawing a blank about great Sienkiewicz covers at the minute. I wanted to include a really awesome Sienkiewicz cover, but Moon Knight covers were all I could come up with....and I thought that was one was pretty cool looking....but I know it's not his best work.

What else did he do covers on?

Oh. New Mutants....

ummm

God, sometimes my memory goes so blank!

Elektra :Assassin.Yeah his New Mutants covers kicked ass.

3-1.jpg

This has always been a favorite of mine. Love the way the blood looks really wet. Got my copy signed by Fabry *breaks arm patting self on back*

Whats not to love about a great cover on a comic book... I do have to say Vertigo has soome of the best covers around especially in the 90's some the hellblazers covers were extraordinary... I love Tony Harris on Starman an dy the last man has one of my all time favorite covers with ampersand doing shakespeare's macbeth... on my myspace the background is from fables the good prince and features bufkin although I'm going to change it and loveless has some timeless covers also...

In high school I put all my comics boarded on my wall so that each wall had a different section of x-men... then I crossed to dc and my walls looked ten times better...

Tim Brastreet's Punisher covers are some of the best ever.His Transmetropolitan covers were a departure from the previous artist and the one following him. Sandman had some wicked covers.

That's a great cover. And it's amazing how well it goes with your current av. 8-)

Looking at that makes the quality of his current Hellblazer stuff even more depressing.

For all his hits he sure had a few misses but at the time I had never seen covers like these (I didn't get the HB stuff til later).

Kent Williams is another fave that comes to mind.

Bad Planet and Cal MacDonald too.

Can anyone think of covers where actual classical or modern art paintings have been used (other than swiped ... you know what I mean, Greg Lauren).

Jesus, can't believe I forgot about that and sure I only reread the first Max trade there the other evening. Wonder if he'll stick around when Garth finishes up.

The first issue was by an artist who then could not complete, so they put it on hold until the new guy caught up.

However this makes interesting reading:

"BAD PLANET" WEEK: TALKING WITH JANE & NILES, PART 1

by Jonah Weiland, Executive Producer

Posted: October 17, 2005

"Bad Planet's" Thomas Jane, Steve Niles & Tim Bradstreet at Comic-Con International in July, 2005.

With the six-issue mini-series "Bad Planet" set to launch this December from Image Comics,

BAD PLANET #1 fired the opening shot from Raw Entertainment – a joint venture between actor Thomas Jane (The Punisher) and writer Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) to present the best in bleeding-edge horror and science fiction. After overwhelmingly positive response, BAD PLANET was devastated by a catastrophic medical emergency causing an unavoidable delay. Now, a year-and-a-half after the release of the first issue, Raw and Image have brought BAD PLANET back with a vengeance! With the next four issues drawn and ready to go, BAD PLANET #2 will be hitting stores July 18th and taking no prisoners.

OCT051704 BAD PLANET #1 (OF 6) $2.99

“Our penciler, Lewis Larosa, had to drop out due to illness. It killed us to delay the book, but we needed to find the perfect guy to fill Larosa's shoes," explains co-writer Jane. "We found him in James Daly, who not only fills Larosa’s shoes – he splits them at the seams and breaks the laces! "

August 8th 2007

MAY071866 BAD PLANET #2 (OF 6) (RES) (MR) $2.99

MAY071867 BAD PLANET NEW PTG #1 (OF 6) (MR) $2.99

September 12th 2007

JUN071908 BAD PLANET #3 (OF 6) (RES) (MR) $3.99

http://timbradstreet.typepad.com/the_onlin...lanet-ship.html

Just a quick note to inform folks that Bad Planet issue 3 will not ship the first week of September as we had hoped. We were just informed of some printer setbacks which has forced a two to three week delay in shipping issue #3. Bad Planet #3 (In SUPERTERROR 3D!) will be worth the wait not only for the incredible Mark Schultz cover, but for the 14 pages of stereoscopic wonderment to be found within.

It's been on a less than monthly schedule since then, 4 came out at the end of November and 5 was just recently previewed here.

But do you know, it's FUN.