dogpoet

The most faithful film of a comic?

What is it?

I'd say it's probably a toss up between Ghost World and The Rocketeer, myself.

I don't recall the comic being quite as crap in either case, though.

(Fair point, mind. So much for that discussion.)

I hate Sin City. Now the fanboy public expects nothing but scrutinous translations for every illustrated piece of rubbish there is out there.

EDIT: I don't actually HATE Sin City, quite the opposite. I just dislike the effect it has had on upcoming comic to film adaptations.

For all its obvious flaws, I enjoyed the film a lot, but still feel roughly the same way as you about panel-for-panel screen adaptations. Sin City was a fun experiment, and I'm glad it was done, but the idea that future comic adaptations could, or should, be done the same way is absurd. What works in a comic often doesn't work on the screen, as SC proved repeatedly.

I hate Sin City. Now the fanboy public expects nothing but scrutinous translations for every illustrated piece of rubbish there is out there.

They're not going to get it though.

I have heard that Unbreakable (by the same director of 6th sense) is based on a comic. Is this true?

Yes, and if it had bothered with any actual plot beyond that, it might even have been a decent film as well. With careful editing, it would have made for quite a good opening half-hour or so.

Mark, I have to strongly disagree with you there.

Unbreakable was a fabulous film. It exactly lived up to Joshua's theory in the film that superhero stories are based on real stories but given a twist to suit the comic genre. This film was an origin story untwisted, and I loved that it took so long to get through the origin part of the story.

Don't know how much I'm going to say will count as a spoiler so....

The "foiling bad guy" final act was - almost an afterthought - just the right length because the story wasn't about a vicious serial criminal getting his just desserts. It was about how a normal guy dealt with learning he had an amazing power, how it affected his relationship with himself, his family and ultimately how he and Joshua fitted into their places in the world.

I didn't want to see an hour and a half of him tackling baddies or putting away some Mr Big, I was more interested in how he found himself, his role in life, and how that made him content and brought him back to his wife and kid. The joy on their faces in the final family scene almost brought a tear to my eye (but then, I can be a wuss like that).

Of course being and M Night Shyamalam film the final twist was absolutely necessary and was both surprising and blatantly obvious (once you connect the dots, but you only think to connect the dots after the event).

That's exactly how I feel about Unbreakable too, i just couldn't be arsed to put it into words, or for that mater argue with Mark.

So Mark, what is the best thing ever, out of everything?

Feh...I just found the whole thing profoundly drab and joyless. It was technically well-done, but left me completely cold on an emotional level, like most of Shyamalan's films have. Clearly he's got something going for him, since I've heard plenty of reviews like Atticus' from people whose tastes I have lots of respect for. But whatever it is, it does absolutely nothing for me.

Matt - Mulholland Dr.. Or possibly the version of A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall which Dylan did with the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra in 1994. Or the bit where Jagger slurs "Ohhhh, yeaaahhh" at the start of 'Rocks Off', and then the full band kicks in behind the riff. Or even that stretch of singletrack which runs from Ullevålseter down to the bottom edge of Sognsvann which you find if you turn off the main trail at just the right point. You know the one, just past that broken tree stump. You can't miss it, just ride over the little ridge and down to the left.

What a strange question. Why do you ask?

What if i was to say, perhaps, that off the top of my head, I can't recall you making a statement of positivity without a caveat of some sort.

I'm not saying that as a negative criticism or to say that in some way you should change the way you comment on things, I'm just stating a personal observation.

Well, then I'd say that was bollocks. Or possibly just that, since I assume you don't pay close attention to everything I say, you're probably just overlooking some stuff. I'd also probably add something needlessly [over-used word]ish, though, you'd respond in kind, and we'd end up getting into a silly pissing match about something which really doesn't matter at all. So if it's all the same with you, I'll just drop out of this before that happens.

EDIT: Ah, you've edited your post, possibly because you came to the same conclusion as me. Thanks for that, I appreciate it. You're right, I do usually take more time dwelling on the negatives of stuff than extolling the positives, but that's mainly because I find it difficult to say much more than "that was fantastic" when something's genuinely great, whereas it's very easy - too easy, really - to really go into detail about things you didn't like so much. That's not to say that I don't make loads of positive comments to make about stuff that I love, but they do tend to be a lot shorter than the negative ones, or even the qualified positives, so it's understandable if you get the wrong impression. Shame, but there's not a lot I can do about it now.

Fair point and you're right there's only so many ways to say something is awesome. As you're the most critical* member of the forum i guess that's why i made that connection.

Does anyone remember that Capitan America film that was pretty faithful

* as in characteristic of critics or criticism, not; inclined to judge severely and find fault, fraught with danger or indispensable

Does anyone remember that Capitan America film that was pretty faithful.

No it wasn't. He only got into one dust up with the Red Skull before getting frozen for heaven's sake. That's well out of order. (And they completely changed the Red Skull as well, come to that. A mutilated child musical prodigy? Fuck right off, you halfwits.)

You might as well claim that Howard the Duck was a very faithful adaptation because Howard was a duck in it and his girlfriend had the same name as she has in the comics.

okay then, I'm detecting a bit of repressed resentment there,

what about The Ultimate Avengers straight to dvd movie? or the live action JLA feature length pilot or the first Fantastic four movie from the 90's.

Ah, sarcasm. My mistake, old boy: didn't realise that was where you were coming from.

Nick Fury with Hasselhof.

This forum is a fountain of wisdom and knowledge. I have to get a copy of that.