dogpoet

The most faithful film of a comic?

"rubbish" is in the eye of the beholders, apparently.

Indeed. It's definitely my favourite Shymalan movie, and probably one of my favourite superhero movies in general.

I've never read the comics of HellBoy... but how does that comic compare with the film? I actually liked HellBoy, interested enough to read the comics.

Hellboy is one of the funnest comics ever.

"rubbish" is in the eye of the beholders, apparently.

Indeed. It's definitely my favourite Shymalan movie, and probably one of my favourite superhero movies in general.

Yeah, there's a big difference between you/one 'finding something rubbish' and stating that 'it is rubbish' that I find quite frustrating.

Sorry, I usually assume that there's a great big unspoken "in my opinion, obviously" implied whenever I make a statement like that. It was just a glibly dismissive one-liner, not intended as a serious analysis of the film (which means it was a bit pointless, and I probably shouldn't have bothered, but that's hindsight for you). That said, the stating of opinion as though it were fact does piss me off enormously when I see other people do it, so if that's the way my post came across (and it is, apparently), I apologize.

Ha. I guess I'm just overly-protective of my M. Night collection.

Tell you what, when his new film comes out, I'll devote a thread to and everyone can verbally beat the shit out of me for still being a hopeless devotee :blush:

Yeah, on an internet Forum, unless we're stating a (mostly) inarguable fact, such as "Max Planck created the term theory of relativity" or "George W. Bush is the Great Satan", it's always taken for granted that everyone is speaking solely of their opinion.

My opinion being that Unbreakable was not bad, but was hardly a great film, yet it still stands as M. Night's second best work.

The Sixth Sense was the only thing by M. Night that didn't make me question the huge deal everyone makes about him...even though I still don't understand why everyone said it had a "surprise ending", as I figured out the big reveal in the first half of the film.

Unbreakable was booooooring, and WAY too easily seen through. IMHO

Just to rudely shoulder in again, I'll give my take on that, just because it's a criticism I might make myself.

Without wanting to speak for Pål, I'd imagine that, like me, he saw the twist coming from a fairly early stage. If (as some of you clearly do) you find a lot more of substance to enjoy about the story than that fairly prosaic bait-and-switch reveal, that wouldn't be a serious problem (the fact that I knew the ending of The Usual Suspects going in didn't make the journey itself any less entertaining, for example), but if, like me and, presumably, Pål, you're not convinced by the deeper emotional content, and are watching it on a purely narrative level, it makes the whole thing seem a bit pointless. That's my problem with Shyamalan, in a nutshell - I don't usually find the emotional, character-driven elements of his films to be compelling in themselves, while the self-consciously twisty endings he loves so much aren't generally nearly as clever as he seems to think they are.

I can see that if you don't buy into the films emotionally then there's not a lot there. All his films are pretty much parables of broken people disguised as episodes of the Twilight Zone.

Obviously because Im a genius (;)) I'm rarely surprised by a surprise ending - unless you count 'Lucky Number Slevin', but Im still not sure what the hell that film was all about - but because Im a sentimental git, I still find loads to like in M. Night films.

I can't fault a lot of people's negative opinions on all his films - especially about them maybe being too ponderous - and I guess that's just a matter of taste. But what I genuinely don't get is why the majority still like the Sixth Sense but not the others. Was it just because it was first and we weren't familiar with the M. Night schtick?

Perhaps. But, I just think The Sixth Sense was a better written movie with characters you could care about.

There's been a steady decent from The Sixth Sense with each of M. Night's other films in those areas.

While it's not like his films have ever reached this level, it's a bit like asking, "Why do you like the first Batman film and not the next three?".

Oh...if only M. Night were making films like The Twilight Zone....

I'd have to agree that Sin City was, by far, the most accurate and faithful dramatization. However, I feel that it worked mainly because of the source material's noir/pulp feel. I'd shudder to think of say, Zack Snyder doing the same with Watchmen.

For me, I think the most Recent "Punisher" with Thomas Jane is one of the most accurate comic book movies in a long, long time. I loved everything EXCEPT John Travolta.

And for my 2 cents, I loved Unbreakable as one of the most awesome superhero origin stories in cinema.

For me, I think the most Recent "Punisher" with Thomas Jane is one of the most accurate comic book movies in a long, long time. I loved everything EXCEPT John Travolta.

If that's true, expect me to never pick up an issue of Punisher.

I'd have to agree that Sin City was, by far, the most accurate and faithful dramatization. However, I feel that it worked mainly because of the source material's noir/pulp feel. I'd shudder to think of say, Zack Snyder doing the same with Watchmen.

You misspelled 'excess violence and scantily clad women with uzis'.

You misspelled 'excess violence and scantily clad women with uzis'.

Kate, I love you! :lol:

And for my 2 cents, I loved Unbreakable as one of the most awesome superhero origin stories in cinema.

The Thomas Jane Punisher, while a decent action movie, and a better translation than the Dolf Lundgren disaster of '91, is still has it's problems when it comes to direct book to film translation. I don't really think this is a topic for opinion at all I think it's clearly a technical question of wether or not a film managed to successfully translate a comic book based story from the page to the screen. As far as that goes there is a limited list; ie. Sin City, and really I can't think of another comic book film adaptation that has as much literal translation from book to screen as that film. I mean every single comic book film has it's own little parts that aren't the same as the comic book so they technically don't directly translate the work.

I think it's clearly a technical question of wether or not a film managed to successfully translate a comic book based story from the page to the screen. As far as that goes there is a limited list; ie. Sin City, and really I can't think of another comic book film adaptation that has as much literal translation from book to screen as that film.

Ghost World

The Rocketeer

Men In Black

(possibly) Doc Savage

(possibly) Flash Gordon

(maybe) Daredevil (they swiped his other half getting stiffed from Frank Miller, even if they changed everything else)

Barbarella

thanks to the comics we read in 2008 thread I just remembered one of my favourite adaptations: the animated version of Corto Maltese in Siberia.