dogpoet

The most faithful film of a comic?

I think it's clearly a technical question of wether or not a film managed to successfully translate a comic book based story from the page to the screen. As far as that goes there is a limited list; ie. Sin City, and really I can't think of another comic book film adaptation that has as much literal translation from book to screen as that film.

Ghost World

The Rocketeer:

Men In Black

(possibly) Doc Savage

(possibly) Flash Gordon

(maybe) Daredevil (they swiped his other half getting stiffed from Frank Miller, even if they changed everything else)

Barbarella

Ghost World: Don't know anything about it so don't know wether it is or not.

The Rocketeer: Didn't know there was a comic book before the film. Will have to investigate further.

Men In Black: Again never read the comic so wouldnt know.

(possibly) Doc Savage: When was there a Doc Savage movie made? (Not counting the 1940s serials.)

(possibly) Flash Gordon: That's a fair call.

(maybe) Daredevil (they swiped his other half getting stiffed from Frank Miller, even if they changed everything else): This is the one that I can't agree with you on. Though it has one element that is totally by the book there are still the glaring holes of a black Wilson Fiske, and Bullseye without the suit. So technically it's not even a candidate.

Barbarella: Don't know anything about Babarella. Pass.

thanks to the comics we read in 2008 thread I just remembered one of my favourite adaptations: the animated version of Corto Maltese in Siberia.

Isn't it kind of cheating to name an animated film?

thanks to the comics we read in 2008 thread I just remembered one of my favourite adaptations: the animated version of Corto Maltese in Siberia.

Not at all. I nominate Akira

When was there a Doc Savage movie made? (Not counting the 1940s serials.)

'76, I think. It's an exercise in low camp, but that aside it follows the first novella quite closely.

And for my 2 cents, I loved Unbreakable as one of the most awesome superhero origin stories in cinema

i concur with you unbreakable and I also enjoyed signs...

Fritz the Cat. I was humping stuffed animals for a month afterward.

Only if by "cheating" you mean "exhibiting prescient foresight transcending the obvious by choosing the obvious because it's the last thing anyone would suspect."

Is that what you meant?

I heard a rumour that a sequel (or two) was initially intended for Unbreakable

that would certainly explain the slow pace of that movie, but I'm still not convinced if they really wanted to make another one

Ah, good. The 'Unbreakable' argument has returned ;)

No, the sequels to Unbreakable were misinterpreted. What M. Night once said was that he was originally writing a realistic superhero origin film but dropped acts 2 and 3 whilst writing because he became more interested in act one where the hero comes to terms with the fact he has powers. This then got interpreted by the clever press that Unbreakable was the first part in a trilogy!

(I think some titles like Unstoppable and er... Unflappable were floated about but I remember M. Night laughing at those)

If it followed the lead set by other contemporary film trilogies, "Unwatchable" and "Unbearable" might have been apt titles for the sequels we were spared...

Why are we discussing Unbreakable anyway? It surely isn't a comic adaptation...

Someone had heard it was based on a comic but it's not - it's just inspired by comics in general. Then I got in a pathetic huff 'cos everyone said it was rubbish and it's one of my favourite films so 'discussing' is maybe a strong word...

:rolleyes:

I make it a point to avoid Bruce Willis movies, even if Samuel Jackson is in them.

Die Hard

Fifth Element

Pulp Fiction

Twelve Monkeys

Sin City

You haven't seen any of them? And don't want to?

Someone had heard it was based on a comic but it's not - it's just inspired by comics in general. Then I got in a pathetic huff 'cos everyone said it was rubbish and it's one of my favourite films

Not everyone - I've stoutly defended this film a number of times (well, at least twice maybe)

Someone had heard it was based on a comic but it's not - it's just inspired by comics in general. Then I got in a pathetic huff 'cos everyone said it was rubbish and it's one of my favourite films

Not everyone - I've stoutly defended this film a number of times (well, at least twice maybe)

:wub:

If I recall correctly, "everyone" in this instance largely amounted to "Mark". I was just a bit more emphatic about it than was strictly necessary at the time. Sorry.

Die Hard

Fifth Element

Pulp Fiction

Twelve Monkeys

Sin City

You haven't seen any of them? And don't want to?

So, off the cuff sarcastic remarks are taken seriously around here, eh? Well well...

Die Hard...meh

Fifth Element...meh (though Gary Oldman was funny)

Pulp Fiction...I liked him OK.

Twelve Monkeys...Terry Gilliam back when he could do no wrong, even casting Bruce Willis

Sin City...his vignette (is that the right word) was the least appealing of the 3 stories, though it WAS a great movie overall)

First it was only Mark...but now Im seeing Red.

...Can't we all just get along?

mars_attacks.jpg

Die Hard...meh

There's something fucking wrong with you, man.

Is this where I announce my meh-attitude towards Die Hard? :D