romxxii

Incredible Hulk

Did...anyone watch this film yet then? I still have plans to go and see Iron Man and then Incredible Hulk in a Marvel spectacular double bill. Wise move?

Definite yes on the Iron Man part. I'm planning ot watch the Incredible Hulk this weekend so I've no opinion yet.

I second Akhira's yes on Iron Man. Great movie.

Hulk looks like it'll be a middling, well made, moderately entertaining smash-em-up which is fair enough, I suppose. I'm just a little bored of the whole guy gets powers and then engages in 30-60 minute FX extravanganza of blowing shit up on an epic, bloodless, fiery scale. Give me a tightly choreographed fight scene or a Die Hard type scenario ANY day. I'll go watch it though.

I remember reading a Hulk novel written by Peter David back in the early-90s. It was about Betty Banner giving birth to the Hulk's baby, and the Maestro was the villain. It's been a long time.

Didn't David write the novelization for the first film also, and the comic book fans were talking about how much better the novel was than the movie?

I remember reading a Hulk novel written by Peter David back in the early-90s. It was about Betty Banner giving birth to the Hulk's baby, and the Maestro was the villain. It's been a long time.

Didn't David write the novelization for the first film also, and the comic book fans were talking about how much better the novel was than the movie?

I read that novel!

I don't know if he wrote the first Hulk movie, but I wouldn't be surprised. I can tell you he wrote the Iron Man novelization, though, and it was dead on.

(First off, was I the only one proud of humanity looking at the Rio hillside?. We can build some fucking wonderful shit, space shuttles, off-shore drilling rigs, Intensive Care Units in hospitals. With tonnes of cash and experts.

But fuck you up the arse you educated and rich peoples, people like ME, with HAND TOOLS and dogged perserverance AND NOTHING ELSE, can build something better, something living that supports life in hardship. I saw that city and my heart choked me in pride in my species.)

The movie itself?.

Well, I saw it and it was more entertaining than say, a barium meal . . . or , let me be generous now, more entertaining than Star Wars episode one shall I say.

Why do they find it impossible to play it straight ever?.

People have sat down and given THEIR part of the deal, "All Right, I grant you the central premise without choking, a man incredibly strong and durable", what is so hard about playing it straight from that point?.

A titanic blast of air induced by a concussion near a pool of burning aviation fuel DOES NO HARM TO PEOPLE PERCHED ABOVE THE FLAMES, but does put the fire out?. Why would someone do that when they could easily think of a REAL WORLD PHYSICS EQUIVALENT to achieve their dramatic point? ? ????????????????????.

The only thing I liked was the Lobster being warlike, egotistical and brutal. IT IS HIS PROFESSION, he ain't a lamb.

Ah well, the preview for Hellboy made up for it.

*thumbsup*

(First off, was I the only one proud of humanity looking at the Rio hillside?. We can build some fucking wonderful shit, space shuttles, off-shore drilling rigs, Intensive Care Units in hospitals. With tonnes of cash and experts.

But fuck you up the arse you educated and rich peoples, people like ME, with HAND TOOLS and dogged perserverance AND NOTHING ELSE, can build something better, something living that supports life in hardship. I saw that city and my heart choked me in pride in my species.)

This is quite off topic, but to me, the barrios of Rio are both a proud achievment AND a very saddening spectacle. On the one hand, what people are able to achieve with almost no resources is impressive. On the other hand, the fact that so very very many people live in such squalid conditions is nothing other than shameful, given the massive riches of the world.

Now, back to more hulky things.

Yes, that's what I was thinking also. People spending all that money to get to the moon, talking about it as a huge accomplishment for the human race, while ignoring the fact that in the eyes of the worlds' poor who can't even get food and water, it was a spectacle of everything wrong with the Capitalist system. Rather than showing the accomplishments of humanity, as a whole, I see it as showing the very failings of humanity. Once the whole world, rather than a tiny portion of that world can share in such a moment will be the day when the elite can speak of the whole of humanity. Proving the superiority of humanity will be the day when we can equitably share the most basic human needs and say that every individual human is an important part of the whole.

This is far too serious a matter for a Hulk movie.

The assistant at the comic book store I went to today saw the movie and said he enjoyed it more than Iron Man. He said it's a vast improvement over the first movie. Sounds promising, although I'm not sure his taste in movies.

Yes guys, and please to tell me when we will make our push for this better world, I will lubricate the wheels with my blood. HOWEVER, that is our promised land, our castle in the sky.

On that REAL hillside, men and women of determination and ability and justified pride have made a city to live in, raise their children in, with far less than the dole that MY countrymen, my cousins, demand as their "Right". HERE they demand state-houses, there they have built themselves houses . Really quite well built ones.

It could be so far worse,that I don't think there IS anything to feel sad about , looking at them. It made me proud, not sad. Could be better, but it isn't so.

If I had some skill they needed, I would go to them and live with them and share it. But looking at those well made buldings, I would just be an added mouth, they obviously HAVE my skills already. I know that there are doctors and nurses there from New Zealand, and other countries too.

Yeah, I saw the film days ago... Sunday actually, just didn't post about it. It was enjoyable. I've been to various comic sites and seen constant praise over it as if it's one of the best flicks they've seen and honestly I don't see that. It isn't as great or "incredible" as everyone is making it out to be. But once again, it was very enjoyable and had some really good fun factors. The movie also felt extremely short. After reading something a few days ago saying how much they cut out, I can see why it seemed short. All the Hulk parts were fantastic, especially when Abomination comes in and starts wrecking everything. The fight was beautiful. The story was very straight forward but still seemed a little choppy. I'd say that's due to the cutting of scenes once again. The scene where Bruce talks to the shrink that you see in the commercials (Dr. Samson) is cut out. Samson is in the movie for a total of five minutes and we don't even get a name for him.

When walking out, my brother said to me how Iron Man was the better movie, but he had more fun watching the Hulk. I'd say Iron Man was the better and more fun for me, but don't get me wrong, I did have a bit of fun watching Incredible Hulk, especially the fight between him and Abomination. I just don't think it's as fantastic as everyone is making it out to be on various message boards. That's my opinion.

Also, I'm not a person who needs constant action in his films. Heck, Iron Man didn't have that much action, when you think about it. But for a movie that was pushed as being more action packed, etc... it could have used a bit more action... if that makes sense. :blink: I'll leave it to you guys to see for yourselves.

I saw it today and was pleasantly surprised. It actually is quite good. The only major drawbacks were Liv Tyler (which is down to the typical annoying and underwritten women's roles in most of these recent superhero movies as much as her non-acting) and the occasionally lacking FX. It is, however, wonderfully acted (other than Tyler) and very competently made. Tim Roth kicks all manner of ass and Edward Norton does not slack in the acting department either. A lot of fun and also a fanboy wet dream. The movie is RIFE with Marvel universe references/injokes and there is an extremely fun setup for a future villain (as well as future collaboration between the Hulk and other Marvel superheroes). Well worth watching. It's really a relief that Marvel is putting some effort into these movies, taking them seriously and hiring actual actors to star in them. It's doing them a world of good.

Not as good as Iron Man though.

I thought it was too fanboy friendly at times. With the somewhat cringe worthy "You're the man[, Ferigno]!" and the "Hulk......SMASH!"

It is as if the writer spent a weekend at the IMDb boards.

Roth did a good job with what he had, I don't think the character was particularly well written. They could have used with establishing that he couldn't turn back as well. While we're on thr matter, why didn't they have Blonsky as a Russian born American?

Overall, it was a lot of smashing fun. NYPD cruisers used as boxing gloves, man, NYPD CRUISERS USED AS A BOXING GLOVES!!

. While we're on thr matter, why didn't they have Blonsky as a Russian born American?

Well, of COURSE they couldn't have him be an actual sworn US Marine, St Apathy. He turns evil, doesn't he. And a major US movie house and comic stable simply can not portray an EVIL US serviceman nowadays.

No, they had to find some sly way to put him into the picture. Of course the US Army has no need at all of Russian serviceman input, the evil commie barstards, but BRITISH, well SOME British people must be noble and valiant, the Blitz you know, Churchill, maybe one or two brave acts by the race, stands to reason that they might be worthy inter-service guests.

So of COURSE it would be possible that the US Special Forces might allow a British officer to come along, how are THEY to know that actually he is evil. Aside from the fact they should have suspected him, one the grounds of his not being born under the stars and bars.

:icon_rolleyes:

I liked the part he played, I am sure 90 % of the Royal Marines WOULD jump at the chance to step up to super-soldierhood. The boofheads.

Ids it true that Banner can turn into the Hulk if he gets too horny?

Has the Hulk title ever gone beyond PG-13?

Saw it yesterday and thought it was pretty good. Liv Tyler is the only thing about the movie which irritates me. Can't her go beyond husky at all? Not on par with Iron man ofcourse. Especially in the humour department. On the other hand Edward Norton delivers. I thought it suited his everyman acting.

Am I the only one who thinks General Ross's mannerisms when interacting Tony Stark was disturbingly similar to Obediah Stane's?

Is it true that Banner can turn into the Hulk if he gets too horny?

That sounds like an idea Ennis or Azzarello would have pitched with the Hulk.

I think maybe that Startling Stories: Banner mini-series by Azzarello might have used that idea, but I'm not sure.

It's actually mentioned in the movie, that's why I asked.

I am reading the ultimates right now.

"Thor's hammer just make Hulk horny for betty again, hippie!" :boogie:

I thought the scene was hilarious. But if he's already the Hulk it doesn't make any difference right?

I thought the scene was hilarious. But if he's already the Hulk it doesn't make any difference right?

As starfox learned the hardway, no, it does not.

I forget, was there any reference to gama radiation at all?

There was a reference to radiation poisoning, and that his blood itself is poisonous methinks.

Saw it today, and enjoyed it. Not a great movie, and not as entertaining as Iron Man, but still OK. As most Hollywood movies these days, it is about 20-30 minutes too long. It could have been way better paced had they cut some of the slower parts some. Still, LOTS better than the previous Hulk-film.

B-

Saw it last night, had a great time. not a great movie by any means but very entertaining, I loved the title sequence, with the Hulk POV, the Stark cameo and the fact that it really was comic book Hulk, with the air clap, ground smash etc. some of the FX were dodgy, Liv Tyler was indeed very not good, but overall a good time was had.

and please, do not complain about a movie featuring a guy turning into a giant green monster not following the laws of physics. I think you are missing the point.

Well, that point had not escaped me sethos. I just think if they treated it as if only the FIRST bit of the fantasy, there being this super-creature with powers so-and-so, had to be choked down, it would make for a more enjoyable ride.

As it was, basically they were treating it as if "Hulk did it so it was ok" was their reasoning.

Wouldn't we all dislike Hulk walking out on a thin branch and it not bending?. Or him landing on a car and it not getting a dent?.

If they portrayed that, it would merely break the spell of willing suspension of disbelief.

Which is what happened to me when I saw the sonic cannons distorting the very flesh of "The Incredible Hulk", flesh that can stop a stream of fifty cal bullets . . . but the sonic cannon had no effect on the grass he was standing on . . . . .

And it would have been simplicity itself for them to have INCLUDED an effect on the grass. Or have placed the flames he puts out with his clap SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN UNDERNEATH PEOPLE WHO DON"T BURN.

It just seemed lazy to me.