Sign in to follow this  
Kejoxen

If you could only read the output of one publisher...

If you could only read the output of one publisher...  

18 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only read the output of one publisher...

• DC
    • Marvel
    • Dark Horse
    • Vertigo
    • Oni
    • IDW
    • AiT/Planet Lar

If you could only read the output of one publisher and the quality of that publishers output remained perpetually at the level it is today what publisher would you pick? You don't have to read everything they put out but you can only take you picks from their output.

I'm not including Wildstorm as a separate publisher because DC has fucked it to death and it can soon be considered as DC cannon. Vertigo gets a separate mention for almost exact opposite reasons.

Obviously there are others but ask yourself this, would you honestly want to only be able to read the slim to none output of Gary Spencer Millidge/Abiogenesis Press for the rest of your days?

To put it another way what would you miss more? Hellboy or Invincible? Fables or Punisher? Gravel or Transformers?

I'd like to be able to read Top Shelf or Fantagraphics or D&Q the rest of my days. They don't have the output of the Big Two, or probably even Dark Horse, but they put out more than Abiogenesis.

I guess since Piranha Press (and others) is out of business, they don't qualify? So, we're just talking current output?

Well, out of names on the list, I'll go with Marvel. I read more from Marvel on a monthly basis than other companies.

Dark Horse's quality output is so slim, for my tastes.

Vertigo is not publishing books that catch my interest anymore (or very rarely).

I'm more of a fan of the Marvel Universe than the DCU, even though I'll give DC the nod as far as better stories.

Oni is just so uneven. There's more characters I have fond memories of at Marvel, and having to slog through all the random Oni titles to get to their works that appeal to me just isn't worth it. I quite enjoy Fantagraphics and Top Shelf and D&Q far over Oni.

New World Order will be the first Image title I've read since 1999, I think.

I have no idea who IDW or Planet Lars even are.

Avatar is really quite bad, overall.

No mention of Sirius or Amaze Ink/Slave Labour? They've both published some pretty good stuff.

My heart is with stuff from small, independent publishers, so this would be a really miserable choice for me. If I said Marvel, I could still get Hulk books. If I said DC, I could grab the occasional DC superhero book that interested me - but DC superhero titles never keep my attention for long. If I said Dark Horse, I could keep getting my Star Wars books, and the occasional other good stuff they put out. And if I said Vertigo, I could keep getting Hellblazer, and pretty much nothing else. And Fantagraphics, whatever good stuff they have out, as (in)frequent as that is.

So no more A Distant Soil, no more Strangers in Paradise if anything new comes out based on that storyline, no more Courtney Crumriin, if anything more is seen of that title, no more Jane's World, Dykes to Watch Out For and a few other titles that are infrequent but that I re-read avidly and love.

A truly shitty deal, having to stick to one publisher.

I would do some soul searching, grit my teeth, vote for my make-the-best-of-it choice, and then put my heart into webcomics....

Since I only collect vertigo comics the choice was very easy... although I wouldnt mind picking dc titles again I just don't have the space for all the comics

Fantagraphics, because I cannot do without Love & Rockets.

second place is probably shared between Oni (Multiple Warheads, Scott Pilgrim and some other great books) and Tokyopop, which is fast becoming a great publisher of manga-sized graphic novel by great US talent (my fave book of this past year, King City, was published by these guys).

Is Fantagraphics on the list? Because, if so, it's invisible to me.

Sethos is the second person to mention Fantagraphics, like it was an option.

If it is an option, that would be my choice....although Top Shelf and Drawn & Quarterly (which I'm almost positive are not on the list) would rank pretty much as highly. It'd be really hard to pick between the three.

Pantheon Press is also one of my favourites, but besides the Top Shelf books they buy the rights to and reprint, they only publish about one GN a year.

Slave Labour isn't a bad choice. I'd choose Oni over them, but they're about in the same league.

Sirius doesn't have very much output. I wouldn't include them on the list.

Poe was the only comic from them I really liked.

Is Fantagraphics on the list? Because, if so, it's invisible to me.

Sethos is the second person to mention Fantagraphics, like it was an option.

no, it's not an option. but it should be.

Sirius doesn't have very much output. I wouldn't include them on the list.

Poe was the only comic from them I really liked.

I'm very taken with Voltaire's stuff, and enjoyed Dogwitch a lot.

There was a time when DC would be the obvious choice by virtue of Vertigo but after the last DMZ trade, which was disappointingly hilariously bad, and my waning interest in Hellblazer I went for Image - cause The Walking Dead is alright and Pirates Of Coney Island was aces.

Since in the last year or two I have dropped Daredevil and Illuminati is just a mini,I gotta go with Vertigo.

100 Bullets,Hellblazer,Sentences:the life of M.F.Grimm,Scalped and Sandman Mystery Theatre tpbs are some of my favorites,plus if forced to read only one publisher,this would give me an opportunity to check out stuff like DMZ and Northlanders.

Although a part of me will be with Marvel and DC, the one I would choose is Dark Horse. Over the last few years it has been the most consistent in quality and publishes some of my all time favorite books such as Usagi Yojimbo, Hellboy, and Star Wars: Legacy. And if DH was the only one I could have then I could easliy see myself being happy with the likes of Conan, BPRD, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Fear Agent, Grendel, and The Goon.

I am a DC kid through and through. But I also chose Dark Horse. If only for Conan, Hellboy, SW: KotOR, and the upcoming Savage Sword reprints.