JohnMcMahon

Comic news in 2008

JD: Narcopolis is a vast mythic city; a multicultural, multi-ethnic civilization inhabiting an island topography of anachronistic and incongruous architectural complexity

Already he's lost half his audience.

And he always will.

I can't believe we're (probably) actually going to see this in 2008.

2008 will be the Year of Delano. Mark it down.

This sounds great. There's an influence of Huxley's Brave New World in the plot.

The art is a bit....off.

Nah it's the one Jose Villarubia did for Eddie Campbell's Egomania magazine in 2002.

You youngsters with your passage of time !

Incidentally I'm popping into town for Brian Wood signing about 1pm if you fancy a pint.

When i saw him back in October time ish, he was grey as a mare.

I would do but i'm at work which in itself is not an excuse but also i didnt sleep a wink last night so although i will be leaving work early it wont be to meet Brian Wood but rather to go straight to bed not passing go and not collecting £200.

Which is a fucking shame as i just got two Wood books in the books this morning.

Alan Moore on Century.

More info here:

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog.php?type=13

I decided to look up Moore's Bumper Book of Magic (mentioned in said interview) because I hadn't heard about it.

I cannot wait to get this.

Best of all, I think it has Willy Wonka on the cover! Although the picture is small for my bad vision and I may be wrong.

"Splendid news for boys and girls, and guaranteed salvation for humanity! Messrs. Steve and Alan Moore, current proprietors of the celebrated Moon & Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels (sorcery by appointment since circa 150 AD) are presently engaged in producing a clear and practical grimoire of the occult sciences that offers endless necromantic fun for all the family. Exquisitely illuminated by a host of adepts including Kevin O'Neill, Melinda Gebbie, John Coulthart, José Villarrubia and other stellar talents (to be named shortly), this marvelous and unprecedented tome promises to provide all that the reader could conceivably need in order to commence a fulfilling new career as a diabolist.

Its contents include profusely illustrated instructional essays upon this ancient sect's theories of magic, notably the key dissertation "Adventures in Thinking" which gives reliable advice as to how entry into the world of magic may be readily achieved. Further to this, a number of "Rainy Day" activity pages present lively and entertaining things-to-do once the magical state has been attained, including such popular pastimes as divination, etheric travel and the conjuring of a colourful multitude of sprits, deities, dead people and infernal entities from the pit, all of whom are sure to become your new best friends.

Also contained within this extravagant compendium of thaumaturgic lore is a history of magic from the last ice-age to the present day, told in a series of easy-to-absorb pictorial biographies of fifty great enchanters and complemented by a variety of picture stories depicting events ranging from the Paleolithic origins of art, magic, language and consciousness to the rib-tickling comedy exploits of Moon & Serpent founder Alexander the False Prophet ("He's fun, he's fake, he's got a talking snake!").

In addition to these manifold delights, the adventurous reader will also discover a series of helpful travel guides to mind-wrenching alien dimensions that are within comfortable walking distance, as well as profiles of the many quaint local inhabitants that one might bump into at these exotic resorts. A full range of entertainments will be provided, encompassing such diverse novelties and pursuits as a lavishly decorated decadent pulp tale of occult adventure recounted in the serial form, a full set of this sinister and deathless cult's never-before-seen Tarot cards, a fold-out Kabalistic board game in which the first player to achieve enlightenment wins providing he or she doesn't make a big deal about it, and even a pop-up Theatre of Marvels that serves as both a Renaissance memory theatre and a handy portable shrine for today's multi-tasking magician on the move.

Completing this almost unimaginable treasure-trove are a matching pair of lengthy theses revealing the ultimate meaning of both the Moon and the Serpent in a manner that makes transparent the much obscured secret of magic, happiness, sex, creativity and the known Universe, while at the same time explaining why these lunar and ophidian symbols feature so prominently in the order's peculiar name. (Manufacturer's disclaimer: this edition does not, however, reveal why the titular cabal of magicians consider themselves to be either grand or Egyptian. Let the buyer beware.)

A colossal and audacious publishing triumph of three hundred and twenty pages, beautifully produced in the finest tradition of educational literature for young people, The Moon and Serpent Bumper Book of Magic will transform your lives, your reality, and any spare lead that you happen to have laying around into the purest and most radiant gold.

A 320-Page Super-Deluxe Hardcover, co-written by Alan Moore and Steve Moore, and illustrated by various luminaries from the comic book field.

Cover design by John Coulthart. "

I'm not sure if that's accurate.

I hope not, because the magic book isn't listed until 2010, and we'll probably all be dead by then. Besides, I'm in love, I want satisfaction.

Anyway, it lists 2009 for LOEG, but it says in the blurb that it'll be available later in 2008. Although with that being a 3 vol. series, it could mean that it'll be complete in 2009.

But, I don't want to wait until 2010 for the magic book.

I hope you're right.

Still, it has Jerry Cornelius, Mack the Knife and hopefully Jack Carter, so I'm happy.

EDIT: Actually, I remember the Wildstorm page from ayear ago saying that Black Dossier was going the most talked about book of 2006, when the release date below said october 2007.

Yeah, but if he's working on Black Panther, he can keep it.

I was so glad when Panther and Storm left the F.F. (now I'm waiting for McDuffie to leave). I can't believe Marvel managed to make me hate one of their best female characters.

And, I can't believe how bad this Black Panther series is compared with the Christopher Priest series (pure gold!).

Oh,yeah agreed on that.But that cover(and all he's doing apparently is the cover)is badass,no matter how stupid making a woman who controls the whether someones"love interest"may be.

Actually when I first saw the cover I thought it was a new FF cover from Bryan Hitch.Which would make John Byrne spin in his grave.

Gorgeous cover, that.

This is true.Though it does look like Storm's about to say"Hey T'challa If your hungry I can use a bolt of lightning and fry you up a grilled cheese sandwhich?"

Gorgeous cover, that.

This is true.Though it does look like Storm's about to say"Hey T'challa If your hungry I can use a bolt of lightning and fry you up a grilled cheese sandwhich?"

:laugh:

I hate to be that guy, you know, the get that points out the obvious, but has Black Panther always looked like Batman?

JAMES ROBINSON NAMED AS NEW SUPERMAN WRITER

James Robinson will be the new regular writer on Superman starting with issue #676 in June

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=146029

This will be all kinds of awesome. I loved his work on Starman, JSA, Golden Age and "Face the Face" Batman story.

With Action Comics written by Johns and Superman by Robinson, I may be getting back into Superman.

On the one hand, Robinson's a decent writer, and I'm sure he'd be capable of producing some entertaining stuff if left to his own devices. On the other, I was really enjoying Busiek's run, and the way he's been fucked around with since taking over the book leaves a bit of nasty taste in my mouth. I know it's pretty much par for the course with corporate superhero books, and always has been, but both DC and Marvel seem to be particularly bad at the moment in terms of poorly-thought-out editorial fiats overriding the better judgement of the actual writers of their books. I've got little to no interest in what's going on in either Universe right now (outside of a couple of isolated, largely self-contained titles), and I'm sceptical about any writer being able to rise above the morass to tell a consistent run of good stories on any of the core titles.

It's depressing how quickly DC, in particular, managed to burn up the surprisingly-large store of goodwill they'd earned from me in the immediate aftermath of Infinite Crisis.

Good point. In fact it's that kind of thing that has keep from some of the books. I remember the same thing frustrated me when I read Starman on a montly basis. There would be some great story going on and then BAM Jack Knight would have to be involved in Genesis or some other damn thing. I would like to hope DC has learned its lesson and will keep the cross-over impact to a minimum but with Final Crisis and some Green Lantern stuff it's doubtful.

For what it is worth, based on what I see of the amount of comics I pull off the shelf everyweek, I would say there are more issues of cross-overs left unsold than the issues that aren't involved with cross-overs. A prime example: The Return of Ras Al Ghul has had more issues of Detective and Batman unsold at our store than the non cross-over. Those move quickly and often sell out.