JohnMcMahon

Charley's War

Thanks for your email.  The first Charley's War book should be available in November 2004 but the second book has yet to be properly scheduled but it probably won't be until the latter half of 2005.  The books will be hardbacks at £14.99.

So it's a case of a little bad and some very good news for us aging Charley's War readers. The first book has been pushed back a few weeks but there's a definite second collection in the works!

From renowned UK comics writer Pat Mills (Marshal Law, Sláine) and legendary artist Joe Colquhoun (Johnny Red) comes a truly classic piece of British comics history, by turns thrilling, humorous and horrifying.

In 1916, Charley Bourne lies about his age to enlist and fight on the battlefields of France. But thoughts of glory and patriotism are swept aside by the bloody artillery barrage of horror and needless sacrifice amidst the trenches of the First World War.

Rich in the detailed minutiae of the terror-punctuated existence of a ‘Tommy’, Charley’s War features a brand new introduction and ‘director’s commentary’ by Pat Mills, a cultural history of the comic, and an essay on the Battle of the Somme.

I'm sure there was a CW collection towards the tail-end of the 80's.

You might be able to pick one up second hand.

Did you ever read through all those Battle Action Force comics on that website I showed you?

I'm sure there was a CW collection towards the tail-end of the 80's.

Yeah, I think the two upcoming books are just reprints of the material found in two collections printed back in the early eighties. The old collections tend to go for a few quid on e-bay and the fact that these new books will be hardbacks really makes them must buy material. I'm a little disappointed that the first book won't be out for the Con at the end of this month.

While the vast majority of the old Action Force strips didn't stand up to rereading, they were worth perusing for the nostalgia buzz - there's a story where some Action Force dudes get stuck in the jungle and have to use these melting blocks of ice to protect themselves from hordes of cobra snakes which damn near reduced me to a mess of blubbering nostgia goo.

Yup.

My guess is that Rogan had already been to the site hosting the picture, so it was still sitting around in his cache when he came to this thread.

The printing on the first couple of story pages is a little on the dark side but it soon clears up.

The introduction by Pat Mills is fascinating, he decrys Charley's War as a creative Cul-De-Sac as he doesn't feel that anyone has built on the creative foundations he formed with it. Interesting, and timely, as Marvel are about to publish a ra-ra-ra comic set during the recent invasion of Iraq.

There's a brilliant series time-line put together by this chap who gives an overview of the entire series, it does spoil plot-points for stories in this volume so bear that in mind.

Pat Mills also provides a paragraph summary for each story, providing background information and the like for same.

Me : Excuse me, have you got a copy of the Charley's War Volume II collection ?

Bookshop Woman : Let me just check on the computer here....

*taptaptaptap*

Bookshop Woman : We do indeed sir, you'll find it in the "Graphic Art Book" section, down there and to your left....

"Graphic Art Book" - not another name for trades, cause they have a comic section, but "Graphic Art Book" where they've got all these big hardback comics/art books mixed in together.

Silly world, this.