A. Heathen

Steve Gerber - No longer trapped in a world he never made

steve-gerber.jpg

Today (5th August 2012 that is) I decided we needed a Steve Gerber thread here at Straight to Hell, and this is it.

A celebration of his excellent work, if you don't know of him, start here or here http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/steve_gerber_1947_2008/ .

He'd have been 65 next month.

Edited by A. Heathen
Intro post to thread written

Can someone tell me what issues are collected in the first "Hard Time" Trade (50 to Life)? I can't seem to find this info anywhere!

I somehow managed to miss the entire series, even though I love Steve Gerber! I guess I'm just used to him working at Marvel. I haven't loved everything Gerber's written, but when he's on top of his game (as reviews of H.T. seem to suggest he was), like in his Howard the Duck, Man-Thing, and Foolkiller, he's hard to beat!

I'm asking because I can get H.T. 1-4 for a little bit less than the Trade, but if the Trade has the first 5 issues, the Trade will be the better deal.

Ah! Thanks Adrian!

I have been visiting the site quite frequently, and have even been in conversation with Steve Gerber! I just haven't been there in a few days.

You scared the fuck out of me though! I knew that Gerber had contracted pneumonia, and when you said bad news, I was thinking he might've passed away......

How does that make any kind of sense at all?

because otherwise I'd never have read the rest of the story? I bought the trade of the first 6 issues, couldn't find the others at my local store, and decided to download the issues I hadn't read. now I'm glad I did, cause as Gerber says, a trade could be very far away, if it ever shows up. I just hope the second series will happen.

No, I'm talking about DC's decision not to allow new readers to catch up with the series before it begins its second "season". Surely they're limiting the potential audience off the bat?

No, I'm talking about DC's decision not to allow new readers to catch up with the series before it begins its second "season". Surely they're limiting the potential audience off the bat?

yeah, that's my thinking as well. I mean, with Sleeper they managed to bring out the second trade of the first series right when the second series hit, which made it possible for me to get into the second series in the first place! really dumb of them not to do this with Hard Time.

The only thing I can thnk is that after committing to a second season they've already decided that it's going to be a failure, so there's no point sending good money after bad.

The only thing I can thnk is that after committing to a second season they've already decided that it's going to be a failure, so there's no point sending good money after bad.

but then why even continue with publishing? it'd be cheaper to allow Gerber take it to another company.

Because they've already committed and they'd look shitty and weak to drop it without giving it a trial. So they spend minimal money on it and if it works - great! They do the trades. If not, the loss is minimal and at least they didn't look overbearingly shitty by promising something then taking right away again.

If only someone had given you this link,

http://www.stevegerber.com/sgblog/

you would be able to see yesterday's post and the bad news.

Phew....for a second there I thought they'd pulled the plug on the second series.

Still, as James said, this just shows that they have no faith in the thing and it'll probably be left to die a quiet, quick death. Truth to tell the series was getting a bit dodgy near the end but it was pretty good stuff overall.

Neither of them are Vertigo. They came out from the "DC:Focus" line, a line of comics "suggested for mature readers" but still under the DC house. It never made sense to me either....Anyway, it died in the water, VERY quickly. Only "Hard Time" survived, and I think some of these new Warren Ellis non-superhero DC books are going to be under the "DC:Focus" banner also.

i know all that, Christian. But there were confirmed rumors that Hard Time will start its 2nd season through Vertigo, since DC shut down its Focus line.

so, it's still going through Focus/DCU, eh?

Seems stupid to keep an entire imprint open for one book, no matter how good it was...

think Transmet.

besiddes, it's not like Vertigo couldn't use a GOOD ongoing mature readers title.

also, nice to talk to you again, John, missed you, man.

(the way i talked about you, Milica think i'm gay for you.... ;))

no hurry - i still have to repay you by mailing the serbian edition of HB to you... ;)

so, you got the card, huh? it wasn't full of gibberish, i hope? (i was drunk when i was writing the lot of em - 33 to be exact...)

Hmmm... is it wise to publish it through DC, methinks? Vertigo NEEDS a shot in the arm, and Hard Time would be better with all the cussing left intact...

So, I know that ‘Hard Time’ had a warm reception around these parts, and because of both this and Brian Hurtt’s Blog I think I’ll give the Second Season Premier a shot. (I bought the very first issue and hated it at the time, I’m afraid.)

Who else is buying? Thoughts?

htv21.jpeg

I'm rereading the first series to get back into the grove - the opening six isses are as strong as I remember them, and the first has actually aged better with time (I remember it being plagued by dumb humour but it's really not all that bad).

The decision not to trade the second half of the series doesn't strike me as a smart one. Obviously it was prompted by sales of the first collection but publishing a second series without the backing of a complete collection of the first would seem to doom such a low seller right out the gates.

I wasn't overly fond of the direction the non-collected issues went in (the alien/warrior princess stuff) but the strong central cast were always there to carry it through the dodgy parts and I'm looking forward to being reunited with Ethan and company.

Preview Pages For V2#1

I enjoyed the first Trade, even though it had a few problems which I addressed in some thread after I read the book. I'm buying this series in Trades only, which may mean I'll never read anymore of this series!

It's far from Steve Gerber's best work, but it reads as well as any "mature readers" author working at Vertigo currently.

Gerber certainly worked very hard to make Ethan a sympathetic character, and it worked, although I do wonder as to just how realistic a character Ethan is.

Gordon, if you haven't read the first series yet, that may well be a good reason why you don't like this issue.