A. Heathen

Steve Gerber - No longer trapped in a world he never made

Read #7-#9 last night, the warrior woman stuff I mentioned seeps in from #8 on but the main story bits (with Ethan in solitary) are dead good - very Oz with a Latino offering his services to a crime boss cause his girl is up the duff and Swift (Nazi) struggling in a position of weakness after getting fucked up by Ethan's other self.

Gordon, if you haven't read the first series yet, that may well be a good reason why you don't like this issue.

Sorry, I meant to say that I read Season one: Issue one and found it….a less than credible explanation of why thing’s like Columbine happen, but that having heard that the series improved I was going to give the relaunch a try.

I haven’t read this yet, bogged down with a Sociology essay. (It’s difficult to ‘evaluate the usefulness of Functionalism in the family’ when you don’t give a fuck.)

Gordon.

The first issue is kind of rubbish...and it's hard to defend a series that puts its worst foot forward but even still I'll say that it's up there as one of the best new books from Marvel/DC since I started reading comics.

Good second issue - looks like the sillier elements of the first run (UFO Warrior Woman) has been shunted off (for now) in favour of hardcore prison violence. Handful of new characters introduced here including a new antagonist who looks a right nasty bastard - great cover too.

Hard Time Ends With Issue 7

If you’ve seen the latest Previews, you already know Hard Time: Season 2 has been cancelled.

Mary and I are currently finishing work on issues 6 and 7.

I’ll have a lot more to say on the subject in the next couple of days, but I want to make one thing absolutely clear right now: I do not in any way blame DC for the book’s failure, and neither should you. In fact, shortly after getting the unhappy news, I called both Paul Levitz and Dan DiDio to thank them for supporting the series as long as they did. They were proud of the book and wanted it to succeed.

More to follow in a day or two, as we wind up the final scripts.

Not releasing a second trade collecting the rest of the first series obviously didn't help but, having said that, even with the writing writ so large on the wall DC still went ahead and published seven more issues.

The solit for #7 sounds dead good, so looks like Ethan and co. will be getting a proper sendoff, anyway.

There's a gayer though.

I don't think relaunching it under Vertigo would've made much difference, had the original series appeared under that imprint...well, maybe things would've gone a little better.

I would speculate that Vertigo didn't want it, and (because) Steve Gerber is one of the best comics writers in the history of same (which is clearly not Vertigo's thing)

DCU people recognise him for what he is and gave it a go.

Sad....not unexpected though....

Vertigo gave Gerber a shot with "Nevada".

I'm wondering if Vertigo used the inclusion of a vague superheroey power as reason to not publish it under their banner?

I always found the existense of "Hard Time" very unusual. It's obviously a comic with mature themes, yet it's not under the Vertigo label. They only release one Trade of the first series.

Ah well....it's the comic anomaly....

I actually started reading this once. The TPB, at least. I don't think I liked it at all, since I never finished it. Should I read it?

Yes you should read it.

It's a fine example of what is wrong with the comics industry when this series can be cancelled with very poor publicity & support from the retailers while YET ANOTHER CRISIS OF THE SAME OLD STORYLINES usurps the shelves.

It was almost as if DC was asking for it to be cancelled.

Only one trade. Not launching the book under the Vertigo banner, even though every other Focus DC book failed miserably.

Under Vertigo it would've lasted for at least the rest of this "Season".

I finally caught up with the end of this.

Absolutely ace.

Sad that it's ended but very well handled.

Now DC should bring out one of their Showcase collections of the whole lot (with extras).

And after I finished reading the series last night I watched one of the classic Porridge episodes that just happened to be on telly.

*Sniffles*

That whole Cutter story would've been ace if they'd been given the time to play it out.

Oh, and the limo at the end...if we'd gotten that after the full story had been told, it would've been up there as one of the all-time classic comic endings.

He's working on a couple of series, one possibly something linked to Superman and one (I think) self contained creator-owned