Sign in to follow this  
Spain

AKIRA the live action movie

NEW MANHATTAN????

Pass the absinth.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2008/02/...-star-in-l.html

Iconic anime film Akira is being remade as a two-part, live-action, Hollywood blockbuster starring Leonardo DiCaprio. The first part, set in New Manhattan — supposedly rebuilt with Japanese money — will premiere next summer.

The original is credited with helping anime find a market outside Japan. Released in 1988, it tells the story of a teenage biker gang member subjected to government experimentation in a post-apocalyptic New Tokyo. It featured some of the most imaginative motorcycles ever conceived. Let’s hope the new version does too.

The films will mark the directorial debut of Ruairí Robinson, who was able to sell Warner Bros. on his vision of a re-imagined Akira. In addition to starring in them, DiCaprio will also produce the films.

Reuters

EDIT: I can see you, James... pimping threads, eh? :D

OH MY GOD THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE FUCKING TRAVESTY I WILL NOT BE SEEING THIS MOVING AND I WILL BE BURNING MY AKIRA SPECIAL EDITION DVD IN PROTEST BECAUSE IT IS NOW TAINTED BY THE HOLLYWOOD SLEEZE MACHINE. *

*not

"Akhira in live action movie" was what I so wanted to see....I guess I was deluding myself.

Actually I wrote "A KI RA WITH REAL ACTORS" and then "DICAPRIO PRODUCER", luckily our administrators managed to change it fast to a much more flematic and british style, hence much more better than my hot-blooded and aggresive title. All Hail Mods!

:tongue:

Anyway, I was thinking... Manhattan is rebuilded with japanese money, according to the webpage, and oddly enough, first tests with nuclear bombs (which were firstly used as weapon in Japan) were part of Manhattan Project...

Coincidence? Or maybe this Ruairí Robinson has something in mind?

meh. Hollywood adaptation=crap. And they probably wouldn't get the point of the anime as well, and fuck everything up, just to pander to their target demographic.

I've checked iMDB, and this Ruari guy only has two movies to his directorial credit: The Silent City and Fifty Percent Grey.

Anyone seen these films? And should we be expecting another blockbuster of a travesty?

Live action Akira?

No, thank you. Why mess with perfection? That's like someone wanting to do a re-make of The Godfather. Or Citizen Kane. Or Ghostbusters. Or making "Special Editions" of the Star Wars trilogy*.

It just shoud not be done.

*You heard me.

They must hate the film if they want to remake it into live-action. Taking the main characters awy from their nativity and setting them up in America. Anybody else see disturbing parallels with Constanteen? I wont even pretend to burn my copy of Akira though.

"Akhira in live action movie" was what I so wanted to see....I guess I was deluding myself.

:tongue:

Live action Akira?

No, thank you. Why mess with perfection? That's like someone wanting to do a re-make of The Godfather. Or Citizen Kane. Or Ghostbusters. Or making "Special Editions" of the Star Wars trilogy*.

...Or Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Hollywood is th eonly place the give yo ugold for spitting out crap is what i have always said...

I was always thinking about this kind of thing, to move everything to USA, as those hillbillies that can not understand and fear everything that is not their born place.

I mean, their unability to see through and to think on a different level. Like when during dictatorship, all main characters in Spain had the same name of the actor. A different name would blown the mind of the audience, apparently?

Why they made a remake of all japanese movies? Do population of USA not swallow a movie with japanese actors? Is it going to be more understandable if the actors are american? Just one american, so they can feel identified with him or her (The Grudge)?

Or Abre los Ojos- sorry, Vanilla Sky. Change Noriega for Cruise. Change Nimri for Cameron Diaz. Don't change Penelope Cruz. Come on!! Dub the friggin' movie and stop spending money on remakes! Give it to artists with good ideas!!

Hollywood producers underestimate american audience. I think.

I'm not too hyped by the sound of this. However can you really be too surprised by it, I mean I'm more surprised that it took this long to make. I mean this film has been around for twenty years. The fact of the matter is that Hollywood actually underestimates the intelligence of their audience and then insults them by putting out schlock that they feel the audience can easily understand, Ie. the WB, UPN, BET... and on and on ad infinitum.

Twenty years? The film came out in 1995.

That's very incorrect. I hate to be Pop-Culture bully on this one but this is from the wikipedia article on Akira,

Akira (アキラ, Akira?) (pronounced [ɑkiɺɑ] ah-kee-rah) is a 1988 Japanese animated film co-written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo based on his manga of the same name.

It's also in the lead off post of this thread.

NEW MANHATTAN????

Pass the absinth.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2008/02/...-star-in-l.html

Iconic anime film Akira is being remade as a two-part, live-action, Hollywood blockbuster starring Leonardo DiCaprio. The first part, set in New Manhattan — supposedly rebuilt with Japanese money — will premiere next summer.

The original is credited with helping anime find a market outside Japan. Released in 1988, it tells the story of a teenage biker gang member subjected to government experimentation in a post-apocalyptic New Tokyo. It featured some of the most imaginative motorcycles ever conceived. Let’s hope the new version does too.

The films will mark the directorial debut of Ruairí Robinson, who was able to sell Warner Bros. on his vision of a re-imagined Akira. In addition to starring in them, DiCaprio will also produce the films.

Reuters

EDIT: I can see you, James... pimping threads, eh? :D

I was always thinking about this kind of thing, to move everything to USA, as those hillbillies that can not understand and fear everything that is not their born place.

I mean, their unability to see through and to think on a different level. Like when during dictatorship, all main characters in Spain had the same name of the actor. A different name would blown the mind of the audience, apparently?

Why they made a remake of all japanese movies? Do population of USA not swallow a movie with japanese actors? Is it going to be more understandable if the actors are american? Just one american, so they can feel identified with him or her (The Grudge)?

Or Abre los Ojos- sorry, Vanilla Sky. Change Noriega for Cruise. Change Nimri for Cameron Diaz. Don't change Penelope Cruz. Come on!! Dub the friggin' movie and stop spending money on remakes! Give it to artists with good ideas!!

Hollywood producers underestimate american audience. I think.

Americans only like movies that are in english i have tried with hand and foot to get my friends to see abra los ojos and films like vidoqc or brotherhood of the wolf. Americans cannot stand a movie that has nothing blowing up or is about somethin gthe is not a thriller. Which is what are Motion Picutre industry believes which is untrue. Hollywood loves to jump on ship and recreate every genre of movie again and again I bet there is some really good american horror film that cannot be greenllighted because Hollywood just wants to do remakes of Japanes horror films. I say leave the foreign films alone and lets make our own movies. To them its all about cash but remember if speed racer does poorly you will not see Akhira live action probably...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_DarhYERwI&NR=1

Ghost in the Shell also will be grinded by the american industry.

See the "Sesam Street" of japanese culture:

"manga" is like comics in America.

"anime" is adaptations in cartoon.

this is "up"

this is "down"

One adaptatio, two adaptations, three adaptations, four adaptations, five! Five adaptations! Ha ha ha ha

Live action Akira?

...Or Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Meh. I liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory better.

Meh. I liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory better.

You are high.

Don't leap to conclusions, he might just be very wrong.

Get off the set Zac Efron. You too, PG - 13 rating. Call the R rating on the way out & tell it that we have an interview.