Sign in to follow this  
slinker

The Boys

Columbia, Moritz call on 'The Boys'

Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson’s ‘The Boys’ ON FILM!

DYNAMITE’S 'THE BOYS' HEADED TO BIG SCREEN?

So, when this book first hit, I was excited: Preacher is greatness (and supposedly being developed by HBO); I had just read his run on Hellblazer; Darick Robertson drew the very best Wolverine in my opinion; and I just started reading Transmetropolitan, which came highly recommended by a new friend of mine who hasn't missed yet on his recommendations. But The Boys didn't do much for me starting off. But I think they finally caught their stride with the recent Russian story arc. So, I've been picking it up each month for about half a year now. For some reason, I feel like it will translate into an even better film than as a comic book, because it demands a quicker pace than I think comics can provide.

Anyone else read the Boys? Shall we play casting director?

Simon Pegg is obvious

Clive Owen as The Butcher?

Ving Rhames as Mothers Milk

Nicki Clyne as the Female

?? as the Frenchman

Do the executives at Warner Bros/DC/Wildstorm know that they are idiots?

I do not see the point, frankly, I actually feel the book went to shit with the Russian arc.

But the again; anal sex with the CIA director, that's got to count for something.

Bill Butcher - Vinnie Jones.

Hughie - Simon Pegg. Foregone conclusion.

MM - Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje or Idris Elba.

The Female - Vanessa Ferlito.

The Frenchman - Benoît Magimel.

Love Sausage - Billy Connolly.

Imagine if Nick Frost googled his own name and that post came up in the results.

EDIT:

The rest of this post was shite so I've deleted it. Great casting suggestions, everyone!

Edited by JasonT

Good suggestions, St Apathy, although...

Bill Butcher - Vinnie Jones.

I would have said Ray Stevenson (Titus Pullo from Rome). Jones's range is limited and he doesn't have the smart eyes that Butcher needs.

pullo-767269.jpg

MM - Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje or Idris Elba.

Adewale's a great choice, but if you're digging around in The Wire's cast, what about Chad L Coleman, AKA Cutty?

The_Wire_Cutty.jpg

I love Elba, but his physique is a bit too wiry for the role, I think.

The Frenchman - Benoît Magimel.

Surely Jean Reno? Benoît looks a bit too handsome to me; Reno looks plausibly weathered. If he's a bit too old these days, I reckon, François Cluzet from Tell No One could do the job well.

2_Tell_071108090824672_wideweb__300x375.jpg

Love Sausage - Billy Connolly.

Good choice - but if we're going for Scots, Robbie Coltrane has the girth - er, I mean, the waistline - for it. And he's done both Russian accents and big beards a few times before.

robbie_coltrane.jpg

I would have said Ray Stevenson (Titus Pullo from Rome). Jones's range is limited and he doesn't have the smart eyes that Butcher needs.

Agreed.

Adewale's a great choice, but if you're digging around in The Wire's cast, what about Chad L Coleman, AKA Cutty?

Have not seen the Wire, so I can't make an informed opinion. But he certainly looks like him.

Surely Jean Reno? Benoît looks a bit too handsome to me; Reno looks plausibly weathered. If he's a bit too old these days, I reckon, François Cluzet from Tell No One could do the job well.

To be frank again, I know only a few young french actors, though Sami Naceri suddenly comes to mind.

Good choice - but if we're going for Scots, Robbie Coltrane has the girth - er, I mean, the waistline - for it. And he's done both Russian accents and big beards a

Ah, but who would you rather hear say 'PREPARE TO TASTE THE SAUSAGE OF LOVE!!'

Then there is Peter Stormare of course.

Have not seen the Wire

You must correct this at once!

As whom?

For some reason, Stormare always reminds me of John Tuturro, who would make a fine Frenchman (assuming he can do the accent).

Have not seen the Wire

You must correct this at once!

437px-Barbarella.jpg

As soon as I'm done with Lost and Sleeper Cell.

As whom?

As Love Sausage, though I now say it with less conviction than when I first thought about it.

Kickstart Entertainment, the company that developed WANTED, is developing The Boys, PREACHER, Proof, Voltron, Robotech, The Couriers, RedStar, Crossed, and others.

Set up at Sony; Neal Moritz and Original Films is producing. Based on the graphic novel by Garth Ennis. Manfredi and Hay (CLASH OF THE TITANS, AEON FLUX) are adapting the screenplay.

Preacher is set up at Sony with Neil Moritz producing, Sam Mendes (REVOLUTIONARY ROAD, ROAD TO PERDITION) attached to direct. John August (HANCOCK, MINORITY REPORT) IS adapting the screenplay. Based on the comic, Garth Ennis.

by Rick Marshall

Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson's wild comic book series "The Boys" caused a fair share of controversy when it first hit shelves back in 2006, and with a live-action adaptation of the project announced back in 2008, fans are eagerly anticipating the arrival of Wee Hughie, Billy Butcher and the rest of the black ops team on the big screen.

I spoke to Robertson recently about his "Conan: The Weight of the Crown" one-shot comic, but I also managed to sneak in a few questions about the status of "The Boys" movie. What he had to say about the project should be music to fan's ears.

"I had a nice meeting with the people at Kickstart [the film's producers] and they were really cool," Robertson told MTV News. "I can say that I think it’s in good hands over there. Apparently, the first draft of the screenplay is great. They’re very happy with the first draft and everybody is very enthusiastic about it."

Robertson said that, while the comic's creative team isn't directly involved in the film's development, they're both being kept appraised of its progress — including a recently completed first draft of the screenplay.

"We’ll get a draft of that to read soon, but they were very open to me saying I’d like to be involved," he explained. "I feel very confident — especially when we discussed the screenplay — that it’s faithful and they really are happy with it. They wanted it to be faithful and the writers seem to have delivered."

"When they told me stuff that was in the script, it was all scenes from the comic," he added.

However, Robertson was quick to add that everything is still at an early stage — and a lot can change before "The Boys" appears on a theater marquee.

"That’s the first draft, so that can turn around before you see it on screen, but I was enthusiastic just to hear they were being so faithful at the start," he said. "If that’s what they’re starting with, then we’re in good shape."

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/03/02/darick-robertson-on-the-boys-movie-were-in-good-shape/

If they can get Simon Pegg to play Wee Hughie, it'll make my Simon Pegg-signed copy of the first tpb increase in value by literally pennies.

July 23, 2010

Adam McKay confirms he's directing 'The Boys'

Adam McKay confirmed he is directing “The Boys,” an adaptation of a violent Garth Ennis comic series.

McKay, whose involvement was rumored for several weeks, made the announcement during the panel for “Other Guys,” his upcoming action comedy starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg.

"As of today, I'm directing," he said.

The series, illustrated by Darick Robertson, follows a group of government squad known as “The Boys” who are charged with keeping an eye on superheroes and keep them in line.

Neal Moritz is producing.

but no.

The Boys

Okay, so Garth Ennis' bizarrely funny graphic novel about hooligans who beat up superheroes wasn't published by DC past its first six issues, but I didn't know where else to stick this. Columbia was all set to make a Boys movie with a number of writers, including Seth Rogen, taking a crack at the script. And then Adam McKay (Anchorman) signed on to direct and co-write, and there was talk of Simon Pegg playing Wee Hughie. But then Columbia pulled the plug.

Columbia Pictures Drops Comic Book Adaptation 'The Boys'

Columbia is no longer part of The Boys club.

The studio was developing the adaptation of the violent and edgy comic book from writer Garth Ennis and artist Darick Robertson but has put the project into turnaround.

Missed this. Did the Superhero bubble burst? Did they miss the window for the spoof/reversal of the genre which launched Kick-Ass? Or did they simply find out they couldn't agree on who should play Love Sausage (Rade Šerbedžija, obviously) either?

• Upvote 1