Mark

Hellblazer #241

Hellblazer #241  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Marks out of ten for this issue? Go on, don't be shy.

• 10 - Laughing
    • 1 - Crying

9061_400x600.jpg

Written by Andy Diggle

Art by Leonardo Manco

Cover by Glenn Fabry

"The Laughing Magician" Part 2 of 3. As bloodthirsty war-mage Mako carves a bloody swath through London's occult underworld, John Constantine tries to rally his former allies. But he has burned a lot of bridges lately, and he's starting to look like a man with a target on his back.

Read this today. Which, on reflection, was probably a mistake.

This story is still doing less than nothing for me, Manco's art is as upsettingly scrappy/inconsistent as it's ever been (with the added frustration that last month's issue serves as an all-too-recent reminder of just how much better than this he's still capable of), and the cover was horrendous.

5/10. But then again, most of the rest of you enjoyed #239 and #240 a lot more than me too, so my comments probably shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Glenn Fabry - fucking up perfectly simple top-down perspective grids since 1993.

I think this latest monstrosity is actually my least favourite Hellblazer cover ever. It's not even got anything to do with the interior contents. At all.

(something it shares with the solicitation text for this issue, incidentally)

I think it's my least favourite comic cover, period.

I didn't really enjoy this issue either.

I thought the art was a mess.

I enjoyed the first couple of pages, but I didn't like the rest of the issue. This doesn't really feel like a H.B. story.

Since it's not the end of the story-arc, I was thinking I might give it a 7 to be nice, but then I look at the cover, and I have to go with a 6 as my highest. And, I have to admit that my enjoyment in this story has steadily decreased since the prologue, so I don't think this story-arc is going to pull it all together.

I raved the past issues prior to this but I didn't really get into this one. It just seemed so... off. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. There were some good moments here and there, but not much to keep me too interested or really- wowed. The art didn't do much for me, either. I'll give this a 6.

I have to concur with the criticism of the cover. If I had to choose it's probably my absolute least favourite, which is a shame. The interior art was really messy which I think took away from certain scenes, but overall I very much enjoyed the issue. I laughed out loud at what Constantine did with the root.

Also, I was born in Mayday hospital y'know. :D

I don't usually comment in these issue threads, but I'd just like to say on record that Leo had to face an impossible art deadline because I was running horribly late with the script. Leo did a great job under difficult circumstances, so you should blame me if you don't like the end result.

I shall now retreat back into the shadows.

I felt the art looked very rushed, which was why I didn't want to make too big a deal out of it, wondering if perhaps dead-line issues affected the content. Compared to last issue, this looked "amateurish" at best, and while some have criticised Manco's work, I felt it at least has usually looked professional in the past.

Now, if only someone could think of any possible excuse for that cover, which I refuse to hedge around.

The only thing i'm going to say about the art, is that first shot of John in the chair, he looks like Jason Bateman to me.

I do too, but he doesn't scream Constantine to me. I guess it could have been worse and been Keanu...

I rather liked this issue. John on the streets, trying to whip up a cloaking spell, the bit of con-jobbing he starts, all of it.

Well.....almost. That cover is terrible. It looks like something from the rejected file of the reject file. Really bad.

The art was not up to Manco's usual.

I rather liked this issue. John on the streets, trying to whip up a cloaking spell, the bit of con-jobbing he starts, all of it.

Well.....almost. That cover is terrible. It looks like something from the rejected file of the reject file. Really bad.

The art was not up to Manco's usual.

Yeah bad art (Cheers for the context though Andy) and a piss poor cover (Um Andy?)

Jesus I remember strongly disliking Greg Lauren's covers.

But nevertheless I liked John scrounging about in this issue.

I'll back it all up later ofcourse.

Parts of it read a little weird, like "The running street battles kick off like clockwork. You could set your watch by it.", which is a little redundant.

Liked the various magic bits, from John in the Jacks to the *cough* Magiphage's disarming trick. Got a good chuckle out of Constantine's use of the stick, made the issue for me that.

So, yeah, decent enough issue for me.

The cover: Fengis out of context of the story, poorly executed as has been said since this was promoed, but we had Mako in similar pose in 239 and Constantine on the last issue. Incidentally this was solicited as the cover for 242 ...

The art: rushed maybe but somehow more consistent than some of those when Manco has had to rush one or two pages. The colouring is better than usual too. I like the expressions and the characterisation in the Constantine pages. The sex club page does nothing.

The story: one for the "nothing happened in this issue" people. In this issue, things happen. It moves the story along, but reminds me of the issues in Carey's run where all the supporting cast got killed, except here there is a clear narrative reason as Mako seeks Constantine. A bit worrying that Mako might be an ally for Lord Burnham. Then again, he might end up realising that Constantine is not his enemy.

Godamnit I miss you discerning bastards!

Sorry to see Bermejo not gracing this cover.

Sad to see Fabry didn't return in style.

SteeeRange cover to be sure.

All my best to you magnificent fuckers.

- TB

6 out of 10.

It's a terrible case of judging the book by its cover but I've been able to tell if I was interested in all of this run's issues by their solicitations. It's all a matter of personal opinion but the next two parter sounds great whereas this Laughing Magician story is doing nothing for me.

It pained me quite a lot but I've now taken Hellblazer off my monthly order at the shop - though I'll no doubt still get the collections - but I'm not finding it must-read stuff. I spend a certain amount on single-issue comics every month (rather than 'waiting for the trade') since I gave up smoking and so the last thing I want to do is just be buying something out of habit!

Poop.

I don't usually comment in these issue threads, but I'd just like to say on record that Leo had to face an impossible art deadline because I was running horribly late with the script. Leo did a great job under difficult circumstances, so you should blame me if you don't like the end result.

I shall now retreat back into the shadows.

Boo! Hiss! :D

I rather like this story arc. It's reasonably fast-paced, the violence and creepiness of Mako works (even if he seems a bit shallow), and I like John. The art and the cover are the main niggles for me. I gave it an 8.

I was going to give a more detailed critique of the issue, but really, there's not a lot of point. Aside from the messy art, for which Andy has already accounted*, it's a perfectly reasonable comic. Well-enough told, good dialogue, with decent pacing (which would be more gratifying if this wasn't the third part of the story - Ade's dig at the '"nothing happened this issue" people' doesn't seem to take account of the fact that, when it comes to the pacing of multi-part arcs, this isn't a self-contained issue-by-issue problem).

I'm just not enjoying this story at all, for largely subjective reasons which I've already made clear enough in the comments for the previous two issues. I don't have a problem with real-world horror elements - done well, it could make an effective contrast to the more psychological/supernatural horrors we've seen in Hellblazer over the last few years - I just like my antagonists with a bit more depth than we've seen from Mako so far. So, unless next month's issue is either substantially better or worse, I'll just shut up until the next arc starts, because "I don't like it because it's not the sort of thing I like" isn't particularly scintillating commentary.

*Thanks for that, incidentally, and also for stepping up to take responsibility - was this a one-off problem, by the way, or are future issues likely to be similarly affected/delayed? No serious criticism intended, I'm just curious. Deadline pressure happens to most of us now and again, and so long as things aren't getting towards All-Star territory - which they clearly aren't - the occasional delayed comic doesn't bother me too much.

Hmmm.

Cover is terrible, but I can ignore that.

Art does feel sloppy.

This is more of a plot-advancing issue, and I'd prefer to rate the storyline as a whole. This would probably be a 5/10 if the arc ends badly.

It's a terrible case of judging the book by its cover ...

Haha, today I was in Nostalgia and Comics in Brum, thinking how very nice are the covers for Denise Mina's run.

Just goes to show.

(PS Hello Tim, stop being such a stranger !)

*Thanks for that, incidentally, and also for stepping up to take responsibility - was this a one-off problem, by the way, or are future issues likely to be similarly affected/delayed? No serious criticism intended, I'm just curious. Deadline pressure happens to most of us now and again, and so long as things aren't getting towards All-Star territory - which they clearly aren't - the occasional delayed comic doesn't bother me too much.

Me neither, and with fill-in artists available I am quite happy as I've said before to see 8 or 9 issues per year by a regular artist (ideally Manco at his best) and then again I am not a big fan of the next fill-in artist.