Sign in to follow this  
wolvy

Kick-Ass by Mark Millar

So I read the first today and it was OK. I didn't feel that it had the realism Millar was going for.

The main character gets stabbed in the chest and then hit by a car and continues to fight crime after nearly dying. He also gets his bollocks tortured by the mob too.

It was also way too short for a book thats 4 bucks a pop. I mean I was expecting something more but the actual story ended before you get a chance to close the book. Then it goes onto have Millar talk about the book and a few more advertisements. Also the character didn't really have any heart, he was just a bored high school student.

Yet I pissed myself reading it, moreso than any recent Ennis comedy.

But yeah Millar's covered the same stuff in his own work already, especially in the early issues of Wanted and the Defenders of Ultimates 2.

That's why I gave it a miss. Something that's been done to death already and something Millar himself has done before.

I'm getting sick of this idea of putting a shiny cover or a card-stock cover on a book and charging you an extra dollar for a regular sized comic. It's not as if comics are anything remotely close to cheap anymore.

Well it's still only #1, so Millar's got room to still take it somewhere, he probably wont but hey.

I thought it was decent enough w/minimal instances of first issue-itis.The main character needs some quirks or whathaveyou,but considering the storyline(comic reading dweeb tries to fight crime)I thought the dialogue would be ten times worse than it turned out to be.I can't wait to see what happens in the second issue which is alot more than a first issue usually leaves me with.

p.s.Romita jr. is Eric Clapton.

The same riffs over and over again?

At least Romita's Clapton (who plays the same riffs over and over with a bit of panache and the odd decent solo) rather than Francis Rossi (who doesn't), which is more the level Millar seems to be styling himself after.

I really, really wish Romita Jr. would work on a few more comics I'd be interested in reading. He's one of my favourite superhero artists, but a lot of the stuff he's chosen to illustrate lately has been...not to my tastes, shall we say. Repeatedly working with Millar is a pretty good example of that (although their Wolverine run was a lot of fun).

I hear you. To be fair though, wasn't his last Millarless project The Eternals?

Ummm...yes. :icon_cry: My hopes were so high for that one, too.

So I had the chance to fully read the issue and not skim it. It was still OK. I'll see where it goes from here.

That really didn't spoil much. Care to spoil it for me here? I'm sure I'll never read this rag. Main character turn out to be a hermaphrodite or something?

I haven't read it, yet. But it appears that

the book's protagonist is out fighting for truth and justice when he gets sodomized by a pimp

What does he get? A mud hole stomped in his arse. Literally?

Meh, I read the issue in the shop. Didn't look all that thrilling. [spoilers]It looked like the pimp was intending to sodomize the hero with a broken bottle before the intervention.

No if it was Ennis, the pimp would to have stuck a broken bottle up his arse, and possibly pissed on him afterwards...