Sign in to follow this  
Venkman

The Stranded

Mike Carey's 'The Stranded' for Virgin Comics has been commissioned for a pilot with Mike as the writer!

I've been enjoying the comic series so far and generally find Virgin's attitude really refreshing so I've got good hopes for this. I was originally surprised by the art for the comic as it was a lot more 'giant pecs' than I was expective from the cover art so I will be interested to see what they do with the look of the show.

Anyway, Mike Carey doing a big TV sci-fi is gosh darn good news imo.

That's ace news. Venkman - do you know which station has commissioned it, or have any related links we could read?

It's commissioned by the Sc-Fi channel - I originally read it in a press release from their new line-up where the details were basically 'it's called The Stranded' based on the Virgin Comic 'The Stranded'.

But then Mike said on his own site

In this case, it stops when it reaches today's press release from Virgin and Sci-Fi about The Stranded. Basically, it's been approved for pilot development by NBC/Universal, with me attached as writer for the next stage of the process. All this was working itself out over the last week or so, with the last planks being hammered into place on Sunday afternoon. Yes. I made lawyers work on a Sunday.

It's all very cool. I love the core premise of The Stranded, and the cast we've built up. I really want to carry on telling their story, in as many different formats as I can - including semaphor where appropriate.

And I since asked whether it followed on from the series or was just 'based on it' to which Mike said that he'd be using the same broad story strokes but telling it to best suit it being a tele series - so it sounds like the best of both worlds!

There's not many comics writers I would say I want to see writing their own live-action stuff themselves but Mike's certainly at the top of the list!

Sci Fi channel and Virgin have a deal which gives them first refusal on TV rights I think.

This is the first one to be optioned isn't it ? (Although there are some films, mentioning no names.)