St. Apathy

This is not funny

Well if wanted tanks at the box office... there will be no Kick ass

But for it to be even considered...

Has the film industry grown so reluctant to make anything original that they've resorted to make movies based upon comic series with 1 issue out is rediculous.

Has the film industry grown so reluctant to make anything original that they've resorted to make movies based upon comic series with 1 issue out is rediculous.

It's not unusual, and it's not specific to comics. Any time a writer with a history of producing bankable ideas (and while Millar hasn't had any successful films made from his work yet, he's been trying to get into Hollywood for a long time now - they know who he is, and what sort of work he does) comes up with a new project, there'll be interest in the film rights to that project before it ever sees print. Same goes for novels by best-selling authors - it's all about getting the rights before the competition can. Once a book's come out for long enough to see if it's a success, it's often too late to grab the rights to it, therefore the film companies like to get in first - a pre-emptive strike, if you will. If the book flops, they can always just drop the project/let the rights slip, without losing too much money. It makes perfect business sense.

And, the best part is, if you shop the project to Hollywood quick enough, you can write the story specifically with a mind to the upcoming movie (I'm looking at you Whitley Streiber).

Yep, that too. I wasn't arguing that Millar isn't a shameless hack who's clearly desperate to "make it" in Hollywood, just that the practise of buying the rights to a project before the public have ever even seen it isn't particularly new, unusual or problematic.

lol. Well, I would watch it anyway, if it was funny like the trailer. Hopefully it wasn't the only jokes packed into 2 minutes.

And they need someone with "Lightning powers" obviously. A cute dark girl with a blonde wig and a bandoleer of Tazers!. :)

Sounds like it could have a good soundtrack.

Other than that .... a definite wait till it's in the supermarket bargain bin for less than the cost of rental.

Sorry about posting the other thread. I was confounded by the oscured title of this thread. Please delete the other one.

Well, I am sorry that I have no taste, but I think this is going to entertain more people and make slightly more money than Synecdoche or Benjamin Button et al.

the movie totally kicks ass. I watched it in the Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival.

I mean. Violence, aggression, Nicholas Cage pointing with a gun to an eleven year old little girl... Hell, the last time I got so much adrenaline was with Crank.

Also, quite funny. The movie tricked me a couple of times, I thought it was a serious movie with disgusting violence (the serious one, that makes you feel bad), just to suddenly turn into a circus of violence and blood spillage in a spectacular way, putting you again into the 'this is a movie not a reflection of reality' feeling. I liked the contrast.

Overall, the movie said to me "crude real violence totally sucks and you should be empathic with victims, but violence in fiction is okay, so here you have it. Enjoy motherfucker".

I know some people will find a problem on the offensive language, specially coming from a small kid, but it gives to the movie part of its childish fun. Good entertainment.

To reference the topic title, it actually IS quite funny. Totally over-the-top silliness, and quite entertaining mostly. It is just fluff though, don't go expecting anything deep...

I had to post this snippet from Vern's review, he's not a comic book guy but I think you'd be hard pressed to argue with this paragraph :

I guess the comic book this is based on is by the same guy that wrote the one WANTED was based on. Makes sense. Both are hollow and derivative and seem overly convinced of their own genius.

As much as I enjoyed the movie, I didn't find it very funny. I mean, I laughed my ass off when Hitgirl said [ Spoiler : the signal looked like a cock. ] And really, Hitgirl had all the best lines, PLUS it's the old Hollywood standby: cute kids cussing. That's always a crowd pleaser.

And of course KickAss is derivative. Spider-Man is mentioned 10 times, in one of the opening scenes, someone is reading Runaways. BadDaddy dresses like Batman, they all hang out at a comic shop. I think that critic is mistaking "satire" as being derivative. In order to satirize something, you pretty much have to take things from the source you are satirizing, unless they changed another definition on me and "satire" means "toaster" now.

You forgot the fact that the entire last ten-minute fight is lifted almost directly from the Matrix.

Well I loved it. Much more so than Iron Man 2. Didn't find it to be as much a laugh riot as I was led to believe.

But that was OK, right? It seems like people think it's a disappointment if it's not as funny as they expected, but even though it wasn't all that funny, it kicked ass. The action sequences were clever and tight, the cinematography really got dowin through the whole movie. The cast was solid. It was better than I expected, just not as funny. I can live with that.