JohnMcMahon

Any French Speakers ?

I got a mail from some crowd who appear to be running a competition through the French Constantine site - naturally enough, it's in French.

The gist of it seems to be them offering me a chance to host one of the flash elements from the French site, if someone could confirm that and maybe help me draft a reply in French that'd be great -

Warner Bros. France m'a chargée d'établir une liste de partenaires pour annoncer la sortie de leur prochain film, Constantine. Il s'agit de la prochaine super production issu de la BD culte de science fiction, " Hellblazer ". Je vous invite à visiter le site pour vous faire une idée : www.labviral.com/tracker/track.php?iD=48

Bref, nous organisons un grand jeu-concours avec des sites à grand trafic (type Allociné, Yahoo...) ainsi qu'avec des sites de passionnés. A ce titre, nous aimerions beaucoup collaboré avec vous.

Le principe du jeu-concours est simple : nous disposons des éléments exclusifs du film sur les sites partenaires et nous invitons les internautes à collectionner tous ces éléments dans un album spécial.

Au delà du trafic que ce concours va générer sur votre site, Warner vous offre également des places du film en avant-première à conserver ou à redistribuer à vos visiteurs.

Merci de me dire si cette proposition vous intéresse. Si c'est le cas, je vous donnerai tous les détails.

Bien à vous,

I think you're right John.

I know French a little cos we have like 4 languages at school here. You English folks are lucky!

Mais je pense c'est un meilleur idée quand une personne Français aide toi.

Oh my God, my French really sucks ahhaha.

Yeah, they're going to hava a contest where people have to find different bits of info scattered on various webpages related to the film. As recompense for the "trouble" the added traffic to your webpage would be, they're offering you tickets to the advance premiere of the film, if I understand it correctly, which you can use yourself or distribute among others, as you choose.

I'm really not proficient enough to pen an entire letter for you though, John. Sorry. But you should DEFINITELY take them up on the offer.

Pretty strange that they haven't written to you in english, though...

I can throw together an "I'm interested but my French is terrible" reply though I think the way I write "I'm interested" will make the second part unnecessary.

It's being run through the French site so the tickets are probably for the French premier, shame we don't have anyone in that neck of the woods.

That might change if you take part in this though!

And why not just try responding in english? They're a big company, surely someone there must know english?

I think it'd be rude to make that assumption - I've done up a pigeon French reply that I've sent to a few people to check over -

Bonjour,

Je suis très intéressé mais je suis en Irlande et mon Français est terrible

!

Je suis Désolé,

I wanted to keep it simple - the unspoken gist being that if French is the deal breaker here then I'm no good to them.

Give thatn it's for a French site and a French audience, I'd imagine it is.

I wouldn't be so sure, John. Let that be their call. I have a hunch there just aren't that many french HB sites, you know.

I'd say something like

"Bonjour, et merci pour votre proposition.

Je suis en Irelande, et je ne parle pas francais, mais si ce n'est pas un problem, je suis intéressé."

Mind you, I haven't had french in school for, oh, 12 years now, so there might be huge errors in there...

John, if you can let me know exactly what you want to say I can have a word with my French friend and I reckon he could translate it for you. Might take a couple of days though.

You should respond in english, but appologize several times for your inability to speak french. That way, they will know you aren't trying to be insulting.

Mes Chers Grenouilles,

je suis desolé que Quaiannou n'est pas mon choix pour cet film, mais il a beaucoups de filles charmantes qui vous aiment. Donc, je prends trop de plaisir.

J'ai intendé que je prend beaucoup de plaisir pour accepter votre gesture.

Pardonnez mon franglais méchant.

Salut, maintenant.

Jean Fils Macon.

Guest spiderlegs

Whenever I try and understand a french speaking person, the term "lentement" comes in quite handy, even though it insults the speaker.

Mes Chers Grenouilles,

je suis desolé que Quaiannou n'est pas mon choix pour cet film, mais il a beaucoups de filles charmantes qui vous aiment. Donc, je prends trop de plaisir.

Salut, maintenant.

Jean Fils Macon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Je ne parle pas Francais. Je suis American et je parle anglais.

7 years year of French and that is the best I can do. I was very fluent at point, but the need for French aroung here is none and it was so long ago.

Mes Chers Grenouilles,
Dear frogs

je suis desolé que Quaiannou n'est pas mon choix pour cet film, mais il a beaucoups de filles charmantes qui vous aiment.
Sadly, Keanu (spelt horribly horribly strange) isn't my choice for this film, but he's got lots of charming girls who dig him.
Donc, je prends trop de plaisir.
So I get lots of joy!

I think I will get lots of pleasure out of accepting your offer.

Pardon my shitty french

Salut, maintenant.

Jean Fils Macon.

Bye for now

Jean son of Macon

strangely enough, i got most of that before Red translated it, and i haven't had a single french lesson in my entire life...

Yo no hablo frances, solamente espanol y ingles.

¿¿Espanol?? Tío, hazte instalar la eñe en el teclado :biggrin:

Buen rollo.