JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer in July 2008

Covers available on Newsarama.

HELLBLAZER #246

Written by Jason Aaron

Art by Sean Murphy

Cover by Lee Bermejo

“Newcastle Calling” Part 2 of 2. When a crew of documentary filmmakers conjure up an evil beyond their control while goofing off in Newcastle, it’s up to Constantine to save the day. But can he overcome the memories of his greatest failure to save a crew of ignorant Americans?

HELLBLAZER PRESENTS: CHAS — THE KNOWLEDGE #1

Written by Simon Oliver

Art by Goran Sudzuka

Cover by Glenn Fabry

Cab driver Francis “Chas” Chandler leads an unremarkable existence. His greatest moments have come tagging along with John Constantine -- as a chauffeur. His home life is nothing special, and his beloved London is becoming a soulless metropolis. In middle age, Chas is stuck in a rut.

But Chas is a master of “The Knowledge,” the elaborate system of routes and landmarks which every London cabbie must memorize. Until now, The Knowledge has been just a tool for Chas. But now, he’s about to discover a more sinister significance of The Knowledge.

An ominous entity from London’s grim history has reemerged, and only someone with The Knowledge can stop it. Is Chas up to the task, on his own?

From the feverish mind of Simon Oliver (THE EXTERMINATORS, GEN 13) with lush artwork by Goran Sudzuka (Y: THE LAST MAN, LADY CONSTANTINE), THE KNOWLEDGE is Chas’s chance to make his own mark on the dark universe of HELLBLAZER.

HELLBLAZER: THE LAUGHING MAGICIAN TP

Written by Andy Diggle

Art by Leonardo Manco and Danijel Zezelj

Cover by Lee Bermejo

This new HELLBLAZER trade paperback begins as John Constantine receives a perplexing birthday gift: a memory wrapped up in a warning. Collecting issues #238-242 of Vertigo’s longest running series, written by Andy Diggle (THE LOSERS, GREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE).

Advance-solicited; on sale August 27

YES!

Written by Simon Oliver

Art by Goran Sudzuka

Cover by Glenn Fabry

Cab driver Francis “Chas” Chandler leads an unremarkable existence. His greatest moments have come tagging along with John Constantine -- as a chauffeur. His home life is nothing special, and his beloved London is becoming a soulless metropolis. In middle age, Chas is stuck in a rut.

But Chas is a master of “The Knowledge,” the elaborate system of routes and landmarks which every London cabbie must memorize. Until now, The Knowledge has been just a tool for Chas. But now, he’s about to discover a more sinister significance of The Knowledge.

An ominous entity from London’s grim history has reemerged, and only someone with The Knowledge can stop it. Is Chas up to the task, on his own?

From the feverish mind of Simon Oliver (THE EXTERMINATORS, GEN 13) with lush artwork by Goran Sudzuka (Y: THE LAST MAN, LADY CONSTANTINE), THE KNOWLEDGE is Chas’s chance to make his own mark on the dark universe of HELLBLAZER.

Quality creative team but I'm a bit precious when it comes to Chas, he's meant to be John's touchstone in the mundane world so I'm wary of him galavanting off having his own adventures with the weird'n'wonderful.

I'm really really really really really really really excited about Newcastle Calling. I'll be in Dublin for June, July, and August--what's the best place to buy comics there?

You won't exactly be spoiled for choice, I personally recommend Sub City - it's right off Grafton Street in the middle of Dublin City Center. It's a small, cramped place but the two boys who run it are top chaps and it never hurts to support the small guys. They carry a good selection of locally published Irish comics too, so you should ask them about that - like I said, they're personable types, especially the owner (the bald one). I tend to drop in there once or twice a month to pick up any trades I'm looking for, so you might catch me there on a Friday evening around home time!

There's a Forbidden Planet about ten minutes walk away along the Quays, much bigger but not as friendly, does have a better selection of stock though.

HELLBLAZER #246

http://i.newsarama.com/dcnew/July08/8/hlb_...6sk_solicit.jpg

Written by Jason Aaron

Art by Sean Murphy

Cover by Lee Bermejo

“Newcastle Calling” Part 2 of 2. When a crew of documentary filmmakers conjure up an evil beyond their control while goofing off in Newcastle, it’s up to Constantine to save the day. But can he overcome the memories of his greatest failure to save a crew of ignorant Americans?

On sale July 16 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

HELLBLAZER: THE LAUGHING MAGICIAN TP

http://i.newsarama.com/dcnew/July08/8/hlb_lm_tpb_solicit.jpg

Written by Andy Diggle

Art by Leonardo Manco and Danijel Zezelj

Cover by Lee Bermejo

This new HELLBLAZER trade paperback begins as John Constantine receives a perplexing birthday gift: a memory wrapped up in a warning. Collecting issues #238-242 of Vertigo’s longest running series, written by Andy Diggle (THE LOSERS, GREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE).

Advance-solicited; on sale August 27 • 128 pg, FC, $14.99 US

MATURE READERS

http://i.newsarama.com/dcnew/July08/8/hlb_...cv1_solicit.jpg

Written by Simon Oliver

Art by Goran Sudzuka

Cover by Glenn Fabry

Retailers: Please see this month’s Previews Order Form for a special ordering incentive on this issue.

On sale July 2 • 1 of 5, 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

FABLES #25

Heh. The staff there weren't exactly warm in late 2005. Funny to think nothing's changed.

They've actually improved somewhat, their was significant turnover in their staff a year or two back. Truth to tell I don't really go in there much any more.

Will this be available as TPB in the end?

It's a fair question, I'd lean towards no, or at least not in the near future.

..... and there's that green trenchcoat again.

Green trenchcoat or not, look at how much better this cover is compared to recent Fabry Hellblazer covers. Looks like at least one of them it appears to be a collabration with Tony Lukes, so in one case maybe Fabry should not get all the credit and in the other not get all the blame.

Next up was "Hellblazer Presents Chas: The Knowledge." Berger explained that in England, becoming a cab driver is a lot more involved than it is in the States: it involves extensive schooling, mentoring under a professional cab driver, and studying "The Knowledge," a book detailing every arcane alley, street and secret passageway in the city of London. "Hellblazer Presents Chas: The Knowledge" tells the story of an underground supernatural force that dictates the magic underneath London. With Constantine in the South of France with his new girlfriend, his cabbie Chas has no choice but to battle these demons alone. Berger said that the writer himself was once a London cabbie.

This has to be a comedy....right ?

I've just caught up on the last year's worth of Exterminators so want to see Simon Oliver do the demon thing. Colour of trenchcoat aside, that cover's just not particularly impressive.

In response to the 'is it a comedy?' debate, I like that Oliver's the Exterminators is pretty feckin' funny but is always played straight...so hopefully that'll appease you both?

That green trenchcoat thing gets me, too. Why does Fabry keep doing that??

I think he bought a job lot of green paint. We all suffer when he gets in a a new lot of cheap paint from "Paint u Like".

In response to the 'is it a comedy?' debate, I like that Oliver's the Exterminators is pretty feckin' funny but is always played straight...so hopefully that'll appease you both?

That is pretty much what I'd hope for.

This does sound like a great comic, let alone a fantastic addition to the world of Hellblazer. My only concern is that from reading Exterminators is that I noticed that Simon Oliver goes too far over the top every now and again, and not in a good way. I really hope he keeps it in check for the Chas mini.

DC offeres retailer incentive for "Hellblazer Special: Chas"

Official Press Release

This July, one of comics' perennial sidekicks takes the spotlight in HELLBLAZER SPECIAL: CHAS - THE KNOWLEDGE #1, the first issue of a 5-part Vertigo miniseries.

DC Comics offers qualifying retailers a special ordering incentive on this debut issue: Retailers who place orders on HELLBLAZER SPECIAL: CHAS - THE KNOWLEDGE #1 equal to or greater than their final orders on HELLBLAZER #242 (JAN080252) may make returns of up to 50% on this issue.

HELLBLAZER PRESENTS: CHAS - THE KNOWLEDGE is written by Simon Oliver (THE EXTERMINATORS, GEN13), with art by Goran Sudzuka (Y: THE LAST MAN) and covers by Glenn Fabry (PREACHER).

As issue #1 opens, cab driver Francis "Chas" Chandler is leading an unremarkable existence. His greatest moments have come tagging along with John Constantine - as a chauffeur. His home life is nothing special, and his beloved London is becoming a soulless metropolis. In middle age, Chas is stuck in a rut.

But Chas is a master of "The Knowledge," the elaborate system of routes and landmarks which every London cabbie must memorize. Until now, The Knowledge has been just a tool for Chas. And now, he's about to discover a more sinister significance of The Knowledge. An ominous entity from London's grim past has reemerged, and only someone with The Knowledge can stop it. Is Chas up to the task, on his own?

DC will announce the return window for this issue at a later date. HELLBLAZER SPECIAL: CHAS - THE KNOWLEDGE #1 is solicited in the May Previews, and is scheduled to arrive in stores on July 2.

Does that mean that if you ordered the same amount of Chas as HB #242 say, 40, that you could send 20 of them back?