JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #243

20 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #243....

Hellblazer #242

9230_400x600.jpg

Written by Andy Diggle

Art by Giuseppe Camuncoli

Cover by Lee Bermejo

Part 1 of the 2-part "The Mortification of the Flesh." There is a room at the heart of the Vatican known as The Confessional, where any act may be committed without fear of guilt or sin. Here, the temptations of the flesh are drawn out and expunged through indulgence. But when something goes horribly wrong, a priest with a terrible secret is forced to turn to an outsider for help … an outsider named John Constantine.

Should be getting this tomorrow or Friday.

I can't technically rate it yet, but I'm giving it a tentative awesome.

I thought this story was continuing off the last issue? If it is, I don't see it (which may be a very good sign). Or, is this a break between the larger story?

Whichever it is, I enjoyed this far more than the last story.

After being so rough on Andy Diggle, I'm going to give this one an 8, even though on the last page we have continuity raising its vile head again. That's the only thing that took away from it getting a 9, because I want to wait until next issue to see where this is going.

So far, it was just a nice horror story, which is what I'm looking for in an issue of HB at this point.

Art's not so nice though. John looks more like the Mad Hatter half the time.

I assume this is where John was flying off to last issue.

Very good story. I really liked how John conned and bullshit his way into the depths of the Vatican.

I wonder as to the real source of the padre's message. Was it really from God? And Constantine just picked on it and used it to con his way in? Or did Constantine have something to do with sending the message?

I really thought the bit of continuity at the end was done with. Fin. I will still wait to see how Diggle handles it.

The art however, turned me right off. Based on the subject matter in this issue, the art was off the mark in matching the tone.

I give it a 7 with points deducted due to the art.

Also #207.

I haven't seen this issue yet, but generally I really, really like his work.

Yep. One of my favourite issues of Mike Carey's run, that one. At first I thought the art style was a poor match for the tone/content of the book, but I changed my mind fairly quickly. Hopefully the same will be true here - with luck, my local store will have sorted the week's comics by now, iin which case I'll pick my copy up later this afternoon and make my own mind up.

Ta, mate. I should get mine tomorrow - until then we can always speculate...what do you potentially think of page three? :wink:

I really liked this issue. I see what Christian is saying about John looking like the Mad Hatter, i thought the same thing about the panel with him and the waitress. Overall though, i liked the art though. I did think that the faces had a skeletal quality that was somewhat disturbing, but overall, i thought it was quite good.

The sense of dread was palpable at the beginning of the story before we learn what's going on/went on in the locked room. I found John weaseling his way deeper and deeper into the Vatican very enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing whats up with our old friend. I should have guessed it's Identity from the clues scattered thru-out the issue, but i'm not much of a detective, really.

Its been a while since I've shown up here, but now thats my life is back on track I can return to what's important- comics! Anyway, I found this to be a good read, even if John was drawn a bit too block-like for my tastes. I do wish Diggle had given us a new antagonist, but I give the story an eight.

Hey I'm glad to see Ellie back!

Tonally the art didn't work completely for me here, but the plot has thickened nicely.

What has the run so far got to do with Ellie?

Or was this merely a favour on her part to get John into the Vatican library himself.

God knows why she would still owe one to John.

A nice turn around cliffhanger, much like Diggles first issue end to In at the Deep End.

Intrigued.

Anyway, I found this to be a good read, even if John was drawn a bit too block-like for my tastes.

Given your icon, I find this comment somewhat ironic. :tongue:

Hey, I'm all about nicely defined angles. But just look at the way his head's drawn, especially in the pub. It's taking things too far.

Mmm, I really enjoyed that. Good, solid Hellblazer, and I liked Camuncoli's art much more than on his previous efforts on the book.

Nice to see Ellie back, too.

A very promising 8 from me.

I'm not the biggest fan of the art style but it was still good art and it told the story.

Storywise, I really liked that it was Luigi's story pretty much and then old Conjob thrust his way into it. Last issue led me to believe that someone had

called him over to Vatican City so possibly Ellie summoned him across? There were complaints above that someone wished Andy had come up with a new antagonist...as I said, I'm not sure that Ellie is the antagonist here. SO if she's going to John for help since she was screwed by him, well I'm intrigued.

This only loses marks when I realise that the whole issue could have been rendered unnecessary by a voicebox at the end of the last issue saying 'Ellie asked me to pop over the vatican'...but it still gets a strong 8 because of JC still having to bluff his way down there and get the book...but I guess this issue will be more important when we see part II and know what he needs the book from the library for!

Here's hoping for another classic Diggle two-parter!

After a long break, here I am stating opinions... (superb banner by the way)

I've skimmed through the issues published while I was absent. There's not much to say about them. I really wonder where Diggle is going with the story.

I like this one though I had to adjust my eyes to non sketchy art :) The drawing was not obscure enough for my taste, but I liked it, especially the colours chosen. (worst art critic ever written)

As for the story, I detested the scene Constantine, popped into existence in a confession room in sistine chapel. Constantine got that habit recently I presume, last time was the shipment from sudan, where he popped into existence and had a look at the branch. Said "Hmm.. Interesting." and vanished back to realms of plot holes and unwritten arcs or whatever it is.

But that's the way comic books are I suppose (I'm not your average comic reader), you need to be quick and witty about the story, but it gets less detailed. Even those details which glues the story together, so us readers won't have where are we? memento moments.

Nevertheless, It is good to see John not trying to save his skin or the world (both comes in a package frequently). He's having another day on the job. As it is the same with all writers, Constantine changed with Diggle run. In my opininon we need to see more "another day on the job" style issues to get into new character before he goes scheming tiger, brooding dragon(that's my definition of long story arc).

seven, for all that stuff, and a half for the "I hate my life" bartender chick.

Evening, gentlemen. :hattip:

Art was absolutely splendid, although initially I wasn't quite convinced by his Constantine face. Everything else top-notch, though - a refreshing change from Manco's recent work, and if Camuncoli were to come back in a more full-time capacity, I'd be delighted.

Story was OK, if a little thin - as with Diggle's earlier two-parters, this opening portion of the story could easily have been done in about half an issue without losing much of real note (other than a few nice big panels of art, which aren't entirely to be sniffed at), and I'm not thrilled about that final-page reveal. Still, I enjoyed it enough to bring me back next month, which after The Laughing Magician wasn't as much of a certainty as it once was. As to Ellie's return - well, I'll admit my first thought was "oh no, not more bloody archeology". But that depends on what happens next month - Ellie made for a decent supporting character back in the day, and provided she's not just here to provide an excuse to dwell in the past, I'm not averse to seeing her return.

Well,as this is the first issue (and my first post here!) for 2 years, I would say...gawd I've missed the cheeky blighter. Now I just have 2 years of continuity to catch up on.

8 from me.

Obviously Ellie and John are running a con to get the book, but now I'm wondering how they got together because, as I recall, they didn't part last time on the best of terms.

I am underwhelmed on the art, I much prefer Manco's style to this style, which reminds me of old Mage books than Hellblazer. Still, some panels were rocking, such as John's first appearance.

I note John is wearing his coat over his shoulders in this issue. Very old school.

Anyway, I found this to be a good read, even if John was drawn a bit too block-like for my tastes. I give the story an eight.

I will concur with the above and add that I really loved the art--everything except John. That would be my least favorite depiction of John that I can remember, but I loved everything else drawn around him, especially the prostitute who only had a mouth on her face. The cover was especially rocking--my favorite for quite a while.

But I love stories that have to do with Catholic dogma. I'm a staunch anti-Catholic atheist who almost got close enough to egg the pope last week. And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those darned meddling police officers on horseback. I was threatened with being tazed.

Question: does John believe in the Judeao/Christian god? I know he's had several dealings in hell, but I don't recall him ever being linked so closely to Jehovah, or is that just another of his tricks? When he drew the sigil on the door with his ciggie, I about died laughing. That were fresh, boyee!

Hated the preview of "Dumb Liars" or whatever. What a waste of paper to take up part of my HELLBLAZER page count!

But I love stories that have to do with Catholic dogma. I'm a staunch anti-Catholic atheist who almost got close enough to egg the pope last week. And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those darned meddling police officers on horseback. I was threatened with being tazed.

Stop at "anti-catholic" should you ever actually egg the Pope and are interviewed about your motivations. As an atheist myself, I'd really rather not be associated with such boorish behaviour.

Seriously, what is it about catholicism that would provoke you to violence anyway?

Is egging violent? I thought it was symbolic of violence without really being violent. Like "if this were a rock, it would hurt a whole lot more, but it's an egg so it will just leave you messyt!"

Catholicism is the very worst of earth's organized religions, invented by the ruling class to control and tax the peasants when they started to doubt the divinity of their kings and queens. Popes have been among the worst human beings ever to shit on earth, responsible for more cruelty and violence than Hitler could ever dream of. I love many Catholics, understand. But I loathe the devotion which misguides them and programs them wrong. Pedophiles make horrible spiritual guides.

You can apply the same types of critiques to any of the organized religions, really.

Catholicism is just a part of the Christian faith, you do realize that, correct? It's not a different religion. Catholicism has the same roots as other Christian denominations.

The term "Catholic church" can be traced all the way back to St. Ignatius.

I'm not totally disagreeing with your points, mind.

Yes, John believes in the Judeo-Christian god for the sole reason that he knows that Yahweh exists. He isn't a Christian (or Jewish) though. He believes that Yahweh is like Barack Obama, "the lesser of two evils", but recognizes that it's still the same thing. He hates the fact that God doesn't allow humans to be free and he hates the control elements, and he sees Heaven as just as bad as Hell because Heaven would be total boredom.

He has used Heaven and associated iconography as a weapon when dealing with demons though.