JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #243

20 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for Hellblazer #243....

Is egging violent? I thought it was symbolic of violence without really being violent.

Throwing shit at people is violent in my book yes.

Catholicism is the very worst of earth's organized religions, invented by the ruling class to control and tax the peasants when they started to doubt the divinity of their kings and queens. Popes have been among the worst human beings ever to shit on earth, responsible for more cruelty and violence than Hitler could ever dream of. I love many Catholics, understand. But I loathe the devotion which misguides them and programs them wrong. Pedophiles make horrible spiritual guides.

This post shows you have a very poor grasp on the early history of the Catholic church. And I cannot believe you fall for the hobby horse of "all priests are pedophiles". Atheist you might be, but you are not terribly skeptical.

Ade or James, please feel free to peel this bit out of the monthly discussion and toss it in the lockup.

Is egging violent? I thought it was symbolic of violence without really being violent.

I have to agree, Bill. As a fellow athiest, I'd be cringing pretty badly to have someone's egg-throwing childishness cast such a negative pall over those who share my beliefs. We're athiests, not terrorists or criminals--they're no reason to resort to violence, whether real or symbolic, and nothing is accomplished by it anyway, other than to make the pope look sympathetic in the eyes of the world. Going out of your way to make yourself and those around you look bad is beyond counter-productive, and throwing something at a person just makes them look sympathetic and the thrower look uncivilized and immature.

And yeah...to imply all priests are pedophiles is ridiculous.

Catholicism is the very worst of earth's organized religions, invented by the ruling class to control and tax the peasants when they started to doubt the divinity of their kings and queens. Popes have been among the worst human beings ever to shit on earth, responsible for more cruelty and violence than Hitler could ever dream of. I love many Catholics, understand. But I loathe the devotion which misguides them and programs them wrong. Pedophiles make horrible spiritual guides.

This post shows you have a very poor grasp on the early history of the Catholic church. And I cannot believe you fall for the hobby horse of "all priests are pedophiles". Atheist you might be, but you are not terribly skeptical.

Ade or James, please feel free to peel this bit out of the monthly discussion and toss it in the lockup.

Please don't ever take anything I write that seriously again. I frightens me. You don't know me, of course, but I make awful jokes that no one laughs at. I'm not funny, obviously, yet still, I feel compelled to joke about something someone takes seriously. I NEED HELP! But it never comes, and instead, I inspire a gaggle of detractors to call me out on something I don't even care about, but that I made a flippant joke about. *sigh*

Catholicism IS Christian voodoo, though. And all priests are sexually repressed. :tongue:

I really liked this issue. It had a nice feel, and I too love the way John messes with screwed-up dogmatic priests (of any religion, really).

The fact that it was Ellie was sort of obvious quite early on IMHO, as soon as the succubus part was outed, she popped right into my head.

Curious to see where this'll go though.

I really liked this issue. It had a nice feel, and I too love the way John messes with screwed-up dogmatic priests (of any religion, really).

The fact that it was Ellie was sort of obvious quite early on IMHO, as soon as the succubus part was outed, she popped right into my head.

Curious to see where this'll go though.

I thought the same when

I saw the angel in the priest's dream--I thought she looked like Ellie's Astra. Then as he started discussing what happened with the girl, it confirmed it. Its a total scam, I just wonder what Ellie's angle is?

So how about this for a future story. Some knucklehead eggs the Pope, who puts some kind of hex on the guy, who needs John to sort it out....

Did something in the last issue mention that John was going to the Vatican? I didn't remember that. I'll have to go look it up.

"Did something in the last issue mention that John was going to the Vatican? I didn't remember that. I'll have to go look it up."

No but the last issue ended with him getting on a plane and saying something was up with synchronicity...and he was off to find out why! I think we have to assume the two are connected otherwise (what with the Newcastle two-parter after this two-parter) it'll be four issues between Constantine saying 'right Im gonna do something' and then actually doing it!

So Im pretty dang intrigued by the end of this two parter!

I like this one though I had to adjust my eyes to non sketchy art :) The drawing was not obscure enough for my taste, but I liked it, especially the colours chosen. (worst art critic ever written)

I can assure you there's much worse, and some of them get paid for it.

I liked it, liked the story and rather liked the art, much more so than with his last foray into Hellblazer. Father Luigi looked very Italian and I didn't think John looked at all like the Mad Hatter, except possibly while ordering beer. Mind you, Ellie's looking a bit rough, think she's been forgetting to moisteurise.

Got it today.

Loved the writing. This is a fantastic comeback by Diggle after that Laughing Magician mess.

The art was a bit off, but nothing terrible.

9/10

Quite liked it.

I loved this one.Diggle grabs you right from the get go,I especially loved his intro combined with Camuncoli's use of wider panels to start the tale.This is exactly the type of wild story concept that this book,in its history,has been second to none with.Camuncoli's art reminds me in equal parts,Frusin towards the latter half of his run with Carey,and Doug Alexander Gregory during that same era.I was especially impressed with his layouts,a significant improvement on an already fine style,compared to his other three issues of this title.No real solid guess as to where Diggle is taking this one.Don't care.lovin it.

Dunno what more to say than whats already been said! Love it! Loved the writing and the art. Everything was great.

Solid eight. Would have been more if Andy had been a little more historically correct about Roderic Borgia. He wouldn't have fucking cared if the world knew he was screwing little boys. A Pope who acknowledged his son by a mistress and elevated her brother to the state of cardinal. During his pontificate, his son threw the Banquet of Chestnuts in the Papal Palace. He really didn't need a place set aside to fuck boys. I'm a little disappointed that it was for screwing little boys--with a little effort, Andy could have come up with a less stereotypical and more sinister.

That aside, effin' brilliant. Nice to see Ellie. She's got something devious and nasty that she wants, John has something devious and nasty that he wants, and it's all going to go down the toilet in a glorious fashion.

Loving Andy's run. Short arcs that feed into the longer arc... excellent structure.