Ocean

Constantine Rating at MPAA Site

Guys I didn't saw this posted here yet, but I just checked MPAA site and now there's Constantine listed:

Constantine (2004)

Warner Bros. Pictures Inc.

R Rated R for violence and demonic images.

It wasn't until some days ago. Guess Warner lost. Can we consider this definitive?

I would like to think that the 'R' rating is for adult content and situations but instead it's probably just means Keanu can say 'fuck' a few times and we can see more demonic gore. I would like to see the Ellie bed scene, although I doubt that contains anything 'R' rated.

Yay! Excellent - and indeed let's hope Warner Bros includes the tailswishing Ellie bit in the movie... ;)

Guest Guest
Guys I didn't saw this posted here yet, but I just checked MPAA site and now there's Constantine listed:

Constantine (2004)

Warner Bros. Pictures Inc. 

R Rated R for violence and demonic images.

It wasn't until some days ago. Guess Warner lost. Can we consider this definitive?

This may be the reason that Warner starts to promote the movie heavily overseas, esp. in Asia.

It will not make money in America - only PG13 movies are successful.

There is enough time yet to bring it back to a PG-13. If it stays R, I will be more inclinded to see it.

Maybe.

For what it's worth--I saw an ad for Constantine during the Steelers/Jets game today and it still said "this film is not yet rated".

I wonder how Warners feels about this - they hire writers/director/producers to give them a PG13 flick and they fail to deliver, can't be too happy about that.

Oh fucking please. Goldsman, who rewrote the script to tone it down, got jobs after two Batman films and Lost in Space. Apparently, he'd be able to get jobs if he murdered his mother in broad daylight in front of a police station.

Still, the "R" rating is a win-win situation as far as I'm concerned. Cool, possibly even scary demonic creatures, and a greater possibility it'll fail and we won't get a sequel. Makes me wish they'd bring back the intensity of the Lisa Gerrard music, but I'll take what crumbs of comfort I can.

Do you really think it will make less money because of this, Guest?

Almost certainly - 'R'-rated films generally don't do as well at the US box office as PG-13s, for the simple reason that fewer people are allowed to go and see them. That's why the studios are generally so keen to avoid the dreaded 'R' rating for their films, and go to absurd lengths when editing said films to keep them nice and family-friendly.

That is because your depth of perception in this matter is stunted.

ie you are not going to see it so it does not matter to you.

But I suggest you go and see a PG13 "horror" film some time, then you'll understand.

I think it's the difference between the qualities of Constantine as FILM and ADAPTATION which is the main problem. Making it an R isn't going to make the film any more faithful to the comics, so Tom's having none of it. An understandable attitude, but not one guaranteed to mesh well with the debates of people who've accepted that it'll be a shitty adaptation, but are still curious as to whether it'll be a decent (or at least tolerable) film.

I'm slightly more in Tom's camp, though, so I can't really lay claim to any kind of objectivity. If this film was nothing to do with Hellblazer, then based on the trailer and pre-release information put out so far I wouldn't have the slightest interest in seeing it (Keanu Reeves? CGI demons? Kid sidekick? Supernatural gadgetry? Over-use of coloured filters? No thanks...), and the unfaithful adaptation would just have me standing up in the cinema and shouting at the screen like a crazy person, so why should I put myself to the trouble?

As was stated before there are PG-13 films such as 'The Ring' which are able to convey a sense of dread without relying on scenes of gore and there are PG-13 films that can be adult such as the 'Bourne' films without having to show titties. I would prefer 'Constantine' to be rated-R but I think it could be a decent film if rated PG-13. However it could just as easily be a crap film with either a PG-13 or R rating. Honestly the difference between the two ratings is usually just a few more curse words or scenes of nudity. Whether the filmmakers decide to treat the audience as adults or as sniggering schoolkids usually has nothing to do with ratings. Just look at all the moronic comedies that are rated R to get a sense of how arbritary the "restricted to those under the age of 17" thing really is.

That is because your depth of perception in this matter is stunted.

ie you are not going to see it so it does not matter to you.

But I suggest you go and see a PG13 "horror" film some time, then you'll understand.

That's harsh man.

I quite like The Ring and Sixth Sense. Both of which are PG13 "horror films".

Next!