Ocean

Constantine Rating at MPAA Site

Keep expanding your options, you haven't got me yet.

(at least you seem to have understood the hyperbole of the "legion" comment - unlike some people)

I strongly disagree.  The mood, tone, and subject matter has EVERYTHING to do with the R rating.

You may well be right, but I never said otherwise. If you're going to quote me, at least try to accurately respond to what I said, not whatever prejudices you bring to the discussion. I claimed that the 'R' rating won't make the film any more faithful to the content of the popular DC/Vertigo serial Hellblazer than would be the case if it were a PG13, and I stand by that. The tone of the film in its own right may well be strongly affected by the scenes responsible for the R rating, but that wasn't my point, so I'm honestly not sure why you brought it up in response to what I thought was a fairly clear post.

Thankyou.

Tears, I'm prett sure noone here has said the "R" rating is a reason to dislike the film, just that for some, this doesn't change anything.

My position is that even though the "R" rating won't mean it'l necessarily be a better adaptation of the comic, I'll probably enjoy it more as a movie.

And WTF, was Dogma rated R? :o WHY?

Religious themes are a hot ticket with the US Film Classification Board (or whatever they call themselves). Play around with religion in a remotely controversial way, and you're going to have an 'R' rated film - hence Dogma. That's probably the main reason for Constantine's rating too, as I haven't seen any evidence so far that it'll be any more gory, violent or packed with strong language than any number of PG13-rated films.

Religious themes are a hot ticket with the US Film Classification Board (or whatever they call themselves). Play around with religion in a remotely controversial way, and you're going to have an 'R' rated film - hence Dogma. That's probably the main reason for Constantine's rating too, as I haven't seen any evidence so far that it'll be any more gory, violent or packed with strong language than any number of PG13-rated films.

Ah, I really think it was Smith's incessant use of the word "fuck" that got him an R rating, rather than the religious imagery. And do you REALLY think Constantine is going to come up with anything nearly as 'blasphemous' as: "Knew [Jesus]? Shit... Nigga owes me twelve bucks."

And at least Dogma had some erudition to it. "God and the Devil made a bet"? What kind of twelve year-old thinks Omniscient Christian God would make a bet with a rebel? I kean, it might work if we have some sort of Zoroastrian co-creators of the universe interpretation going on, but somehow, I get the feeling this isn't likely.

On the other hand, some days, I just wish America would get over it's shit and just install a fucking insane religious dictator like Cromwell for a couple of years so the fundies will KNOW the kind of craziness they're really working towards.

Guest spiderlegs
On the other hand, some days, I just wish America would get over it's shit and just install a fucking insane religious dictator like Cromwell for a couple of years so the fundies will KNOW the kind of craziness they're really working towards.

Uh...yeah...well, the guy we have in place claims god actually speaks to him, which indicates to me that he is schizophrenic. So, he's a schizophrenic fundie. That's bad enough. Sure it could be worse, but I have the expectation that "we ain't seen nothin' yet." Sorry to derail this thread, back to the discussion at hand...

And at least Dogma had some erudition to it.  "God and the Devil made a bet"?  What kind of twelve year-old thinks Omniscient Christian God would make a bet with a rebel?

Have you read the Book of Job? :)

Incidentally, Dogma was a piece of shit. Lazy, lazy writing, cheap gags, truly monstrous direction (the Golgothan sequence was one of the most embarassingly poor pieces of editing/shot direction I've seen in a major film), mediocre acting from a cast who, by and large, should have known better...and if the central thesis of your film is a 'witty' deconstruction of accepted beliefs surrounding Biblical texts and characters, surely you should at least get the salient details of said Biblical texts correct? I'm no Christian scholar (I'm an agnostic, but I have at least read the Bible, out of intellectual curiosity, if nothing else), but even I was frustrated by the various cock-ups, misunderstandings, and blatant misrepresentations regarding scripture in the Dogma screenplay.

*ahem*

OK, sorry. Back on-topic? Or do any Kevin Smith fans want to argue this one out?

Nope, it's my least favourite of his films by quite a long chalk mostly for the reasons you describe. Although I quite like the Damon/Affleck interplay in it.

Guest spiderlegs

It is my belief that Dogma was not meant to be taken seriously, and I'm sorry, but that first conversation with Bartleby and (* I forgot the other angel's name) was sheer genius. I laughed so hard I almost choked on my popcorn, and the bit with the nun? Come on!

I loved Dogma, but I can't be arsed to argue about it. I'll just chalk it up to your bad taste :D

Guest Guest_matadoor_*
I strongly disagree.  The mood, tone, and subject matter has EVERYTHING to do with the R rating.

I claimed that the 'R' rating won't make the film any more faithful to the content of the popular DC/Vertigo serial Hellblazer than would be the case if it were a PG13, and I stand by that. The tone of the film in its own right may well be strongly affected by the scenes responsible for the R rating, but that wasn't my point, so I'm honestly not sure why you brought it up in response to what I thought was a fairly clear post.

Thankyou.

Again, I disagree with you. The R rating represents the subject content, being more faithful to REPRESENTING the "type of material" in the source. Would you feel the same way if it were rated "G"? I think not. Why then? Because of the subject matter. The R rating is a degree closer to representing the comic source than the PG13 whether THAT degree is significant or not to YOU is your call. We already have had the debate between the perceived motivation differences between the comic and the film, we already know the rating doesn't change that.

No, since you're quoting me as Gospel in your signature, that implies I'm some sort of an authority when it comes to you. The reverse can't be claimed.

Nah-nah-nah. I win! *does victory dance*

Guest spiderlegs

By that logic, anything with an "R" rating from an "erotic thriller" to Richard Pryor: Live on SUnset Strip would be closer to the source material simply because of their ratings.

Guest Guest_matadoor_*
Keep expanding your options, you haven't got me yet.

(at least you seem to have understood the hyperbole of the "legion" comment - unlike some people)

So answer the question and stop riding the fence. Which side are you on again?

POS + "R" rating, or POS + "PG13" rating?

Again, I disagree with you.  The R rating represents the subject content, being more faithful to REPRESENTING the "type of material" in the source.  Would you feel the same way if it were rated "G"?  I think not.  Why then?  Because of the subject matter.  The R rating is a degree closer to representing the comic source than the PG13 whether THAT degree is significant or not to YOU is your call.  We already have had the debate between the perceived motivation differences between the comic and the film, we already know the rating doesn't change that.

And it's those motivational differences above all else (yes, even more than making the character an American ;)) which make this, for me and a fair few other people here, a bad adaptation. As I acknowledged, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a bad film - I haven't seen it, and while initial impressions don't look too promising, I'm prepared to be surprised, if the finished product is generally well-received. But for those of us who get worked up about such things, the quality of the adaptation is the overriding issue which means that we, as fans of the comic, aren't going to enjoy the film. A little more 'adult' content isn't going to change that one way or another.

But seriously, thanks for actually responding to my post.

Guest Guest_matadoor_*
Again, I disagree with you.  The R rating represents the subject content, being more faithful to REPRESENTING the "type of material" in the source.  Would you feel the same way if it were rated "G"?  I think not.  Why then?  Because of the subject matter.  The R rating is a degree closer to representing the comic source than the PG13 whether THAT degree is significant or not to YOU is your call.  We already have had the debate between the perceived motivation differences between the comic and the film, we already know the rating doesn't change that.

And it's those motivational differences above all else (yes, even more than making the character an American ;)) which make this, for me and a fair few other people here, a bad adaptation. As I acknowledged, that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a bad film - I haven't seen it, and while initial impressions don't look too promising, I'm prepared to be surprised, if the finished product is generally well-received. But for those of us who get worked up about such things, the quality of the adaptation is the overriding issue which means that we, as fans of the comic, aren't going to enjoy the film. A little more 'adult' content isn't going to change that one way or another.

But seriously, thanks for actually responding to my post.

Thanks for your civility. Much appreciated.

So answer the question and stop riding the fence.  Which side are you on again?  POS + "R" rating, or POS + "PG13" rating?

Shoud be decent enogh Sunday afternoon fare, up there with the likes of Equilibrium and Versus for me.

In terms of being an adaptation of Hellblazer - total abortion I'm afraid, which in truth will probably stop me from spending any money on it.

Guest Guest_matadoor_*
So answer the question and stop riding the fence.  Which side are you on again?  POS + "R" rating, or POS + "PG13" rating?

Shoud be decent enogh Sunday afternoon fare, up there with the likes of Equilibrium and Versus for me.

In terms of being an adaptation of Hellblazer - total abortion I'm afraid, which in truth will probably stop me from spending any money on it.

Even if the sequel would "get it right."

I concur with the gentleman from Wales.

Chosing not to spend money on the first flick doesn't preclude me from going to see any sequels should they appeal to my tastes.

Guest Guest_matadoor_*
How the fuck will it do that?

He's already given up the fags and found God!

Given up the fags becuz of the gum chewing. Well, then all smokers who have tried to give it were successful eh? Found God? I didn't get that from this movie that I have seen.