Ocean

Constantine Rating at MPAA Site

Him coming off the fags seems to be a symbol of a change in his character, kicking the bad - nay, dangerous - habits that have put him in precarious situations in the past. These habits being both smoking and his antagonistic relationship with god. The fact that he chews gum whilst talking about figuring out his place in god's Big Plan seems to me to be a clear link between the two. Of course, this scene has allegedly been cut, so we'll see (via BitTorrent) how the ending finally plays out.

Guest Guest
So answer the question and stop riding the fence.  Which side are you on again?  POS + "R" rating, or POS + "PG13" rating?

Shoud be decent enogh Sunday afternoon fare, up there with the likes of Equilibrium and Versus for me.

In terms of being an adaptation of Hellblazer - total abortion I'm afraid, which in truth will probably stop me from spending any money on it.

Even if the sequel would "get it right."

You should have had gotten it right the first time. The whole if the sequel would "get it right" is forgive me for saying it out right is crap.

Have you read the Book of Job? :)

Incidentally, Dogma was a piece of shit. Lazy, lazy writing, cheap gags, truly monstrous direction (the Golgothan sequence was one of the most embarassingly poor pieces of editing/shot direction I've seen in a major film), mediocre acting from a cast who, by and large, should have known better...and if the central thesis of your film is a 'witty' deconstruction of accepted beliefs surrounding Biblical texts and characters, surely you should at least get the salient details of said Biblical texts correct? I'm no Christian scholar (I'm an agnostic, but I have at least read the Bible, out of intellectual curiosity, if nothing else), but even I was frustrated by the various cock-ups, misunderstandings, and blatant misrepresentations regarding scripture in the Dogma screenplay.

*ahem*

OK, sorry. Back on-topic? Or do any Kevin Smith fans want to argue this one out?

The film's title, Dogma refers to Catholic dogma, which is not the same as the Protestant claim that all Christianity should be based entirely on Scripture.

It's not a witty deconstruction of anything, it's an exploration of Kevin Smith's faith.

And I've read sections of the Bible, but not Job. Is all of Job's suffering because God and Satan made a bet, or because Old Testament JWH wants to test Job's breaking point?

Is all of Job's suffering because God and Satan made a bet?

In essence, yes. God and Satan meet up (presumably for a few beers - no more credible explanation is offered, anyway), and Satan claims that the only reason Job worships God is because he's done so well out of him - nice house, prosperity, wife, family, etc. God says "bugger that - I'll prove you a liar yet", and step by step, robs poor old Job of all that lovely stuff - destroys his crops, burns down his house, kills his family, and so on. As each new tragedy strikes, Job remains secure in his faith and continues to worship God, Satan is proved wrong, The End.

Really. That's about the long and short of it.

Again, I disagree with you.  The R rating represents the subject content, being more faithful to REPRESENTING the "type of material" in the source.  Would you feel the same way if it were rated "G"?  I think not.  Why then?  Because of the subject matter.  The R rating is a degree closer to representing the comic source than the PG13 whether THAT degree is significant or not to YOU is your call.  We already have had the debate between the perceived motivation differences between the comic and the film, we already know the rating doesn't change that.

See, the 'R' rating represents a complex melange of things to many of us. Akiva Goldsman, ruiner of many things, worked the script that Frank Capello was confident Goldsman would never touch in order to ramp it down to a more marketable PG-13. The rewrite was done, and it's still 'R'. And I bet Goldsman's work hasn't been ignored. It wasn't likely to have been filmed around. So the script was cut down to be more bland, and still it's an 'R'. Of course, Capello's track record is not so great in itself, but I can't escape the feeling that Goldsman peed in it so he'd like the smell better.

Religious themes are a hot ticket with the US Film Classification Board (or whatever they call themselves). Play around with religion in a remotely controversial way, and you're going to have an 'R' rated film - hence Dogma. That's probably the main reason for Constantine's rating too, as I haven't seen any evidence so far that it'll be any more gory, violent or packed with strong language than any number of PG13-rated films.

Ah, I really think it was Smith's incessant use of the word "fuck" that got him an R rating, rather than the religious imagery. And do you REALLY think Constantine is going to come up with anything nearly as 'blasphemous' as: "Knew [Jesus]? Shit... Nigga owes me twelve bucks."

"MPAA Rating: R for strong language including sex-related dialogue, violence, crude humor and some drug content. "

Keep expanding your options, you haven't got me yet.

(at least you seem to have understood the hyperbole of the "legion" comment - unlike some people)

So answer the question and stop riding the fence. Which side are you on again?

POS + "R" rating, or POS + "PG13" rating?

No, I refuse to do your thinking for you any more.

Read the threads.

The clues to what people think is when they post stuff to a discussion.

Do you see ?