Sign in to follow this  
slinker

Free Comic Day

This is my first free comic day. Anyone else talking part?

To me free comics are a burden, because I probably don't want them yet I cant just throw them away, I tend to steer clear of participating comics shops on FCBD.

Here is the link with a list of the comics: http://www.freecomicbookday.com/the_comics.asp

However, availability may vary from retailer to retailer.

Highlights:

The Hellboy comic was excellent with 3 short stories; 1 featuring Hellboy, 1 featuring the BPRD, and 1 featuring Prof. "Broom"

The X-Men comic by Carey and Land was excellent. It's about a mutant named Pixie from Wales who takes on some N'Gari with help from the X-Men. If the regular X-Men were this good, I may buy it.

There is also a reprint of All Star Superman #1. A great idea, but I already have it.

This is the one book I would really want from that list:

E.C. COMICS SAMPLER—FCBD 2008 EDITION

by Various

Wally Wood’s cover from Tales From the Crypt #26 wraps four classic stories from the EC Archives: Al Feldstein’s “Spawn of Venus” from Weird Science #6; Alex Toth and Harvey Kurtzman’s “Dying City” from Two-Fisted Tales #22; Johnny Craig’s “Curse of the Full Moon” from Tales From the Crypt #17; and Wally Wood’s “Under Cover” from Shock SuspenStories #6!

But, it probably wouldn't have been available in any of the stores around here anyway.

I got the Hellboy one. indeed excellent, as said above.

would have loved the Shonen Jump, Gegika (Drawn & Quarterly) , Ignatz (Fantagraphics) or EC Comics one as well, but alas, it was Hellboy or something superhero.

Stopped at the comic store today, the remnants of free comic day allowed me to scavenge a copy of the Hellboy issue. That was about all that was left.

3 short stories. The Hellboy story wasn't that great, because the story idea is tired. I'm not really sure about the second story, because I'm not a regular Hellboy reader, and have never read BPRD. The third story was a nice little Lovecraftian-style tale.

According to the owner of my local store, "there were more people here than there were comics on the shelves". I presume he meant the comics that were on sale.

Not like I have anything to do on a Saturday...so I went to the comic shop.

I missed out on the Avengers title. I believe it was written by Stern, so I did kinda want it.

Didn't see much that looked interesting. Looked like a lot of kiddie books. Nothing wrong with that, since this is basically "Legal Crack Day"...first one's free, then you're hooked and you gotta pay...it's just a shame that there aren't many books on the racks each week for those kids after they get their free taste of addiction.

I picked up the 2000 A.D. sampler, which looks really good. Wagner on Judge Dredd, a Mills Slaine story, plus stories from Abnett and Robbie Morrison. Not bad, at all.

Since the store has a "buy a comic, get 2 free comic book day titles", I grabbed the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" comic too.

I managed to convince my family to change the plan for the day so I could go to the town where I get my comics. Turns out that my local comic shop had decided not to partake in comic book day as it's too expensive for them.

I'm going out n a limb to declare this the worst FCBD of all the years they've been doing it. I usually end the day with a stack of comics--usually, the shops I go to have a sale on GNs or half off titles that didn't sell well, whatever. But none of the stores had anything on sale, hardly (except their regular discount rack). We hit a half price books where they were knocking off 20% on GNs and I got #13-15 of the Walking Dead GNs for $6 ea. That was cool. But the free comics for today's free comic day sucked donkey balls until they became poodle balls. Lamest selection they ever did. Guess the industry is losing interest. Watch and see if next year's doesn't suck even worse than this year's.

strongly disagree: there was a great Firefly comic by Dark Horse with art by Fabio Moon (though in the same comic there was also a rather lame Han Solo/Chewbacca story), Archaia had a free HARDCOVER (!!) with Moue Guard, Labyrinth and other stories which was lovely, and I several others by the smaller publishers sounded great too.

There didn't look to be any good comics for this year's. It looked like kid's books were the main focus. My store barely even advertised for it.

Here's what I was doing instead. With my girlfriend, in the cold, cold May weather, hanging out in a swamp.

post-32-0-34584600-1399166035_thumb.jpg

nope. i'm going to say my post 4 posts ago in this thread from 2012 is much more accurate describing this year. Underwhelmed is the word that best describes each stop i made. this was also my first solo FCD expedition - GF had to work, other friends excuses ranged from lacerated wrists to hangovers to hadn't come down from their night previous. But i went to my 5 stops with my stack of ads for comics i'll never read and lamented the deaths of the glades and glades of trees FCD must devour. Let's start a green comics movement and demand comics be printed on hemp fiber paper. They'll be more durable and last longer and hold color better. long live the trees! no fucking chip n dale comics printed on thecorprses of our great oxygenators!

Christian, that's the first pic i've seen of you. we could be cousins, we look similarly. only. i'm no longer photogenic, i look like you if you crashed into a tree at the bottom of a ravine. but before that happened, i'd say we must have the same european roots. How tall are you?

Haha that is the first CC sighting on these boards. Looking good, man.

I think FCD is for people that don't normally go to comic stores.

I have actually posted a few pictures on here now. This isn't my first.

I think FCBD is, Lou, but sometimes they have some comics to lure regular fans in to the store...like the first chapter of a cross-over from one of the big two...or an exclusive Hellboy short story...or something like that.

This time, I didn't see any thing like that.

Slinker-I'm 5'7''.

I've never seen a pic of you before. I'd be like your long lost distant cousin from the northern Europes, I suppose. I'm 6'4". You kind of look like my auntie's kid brother who took off in the 70s before I started highschool, but you probably aren't him, as he'd beay least 56 by now. everybody told me I favored him and my grandad (whom i never met, him having died in Korea,)

They used to always have a STAR WARS comic or 4 every year, and whichever DC or Marvel franchise was due with a blockbuster sumer movie would get like 10 prequels all with the FCD logo on them. One of the comic shops I went to was in front of an apartment complex which caught on fire, so the fire trucks blocked in my car and everyone else who parked along the side and front of the store (only the headshop patrons were given access to leave).for, are you ready for this? 4 and a half hours! It was a conflagration that required two firehouse's worth of trucks and firemen. there were many injuries and I believe 2 deaths from smoke inhalation (I haven't read about it yet, I got that news second hand). This stupid lady reporter tried to ambush me live for "my eye witness" account and I said "lady, I was stuck in the comic store for 4 hours, I didn't see shit. oh, and I cuss too much, not very news friendly." You might think I'm joking, but it's true. 4 hours. And just after maybe an hour in a store packed full of unhappy people who couldn't leave, the airconditioner stopped working, so it became swampy, hot and fart smelly for the remainder of the 3 hours, an hour and a half of which we were told to stay inside because the firemen set up base camp in front of the store and didn't want any civilians in the cross fire. They ordered us pizza, though, and gave us some posters for horrible new 52 comics, and this hip Asian kid with cool hair got me and another guy high in the bathroom--the 3 of us became fire lockdown stoner buddies. but it sucked. Oh, and I flirted with an adorable little girl who was either in highschool or college--far too young to sully with my scar tissue, but engaging enough to make a shitty day suck less. well, that and the dude who smoked us out. it could have been worse, but not by much. the FCD comics were the pits, though.

And then I went to see Spider-Man 2 which made my shitty day shittier, child/puppy kicking shitty. horrible movie, don't waste your money.

I went again this year, mainly because there was a new Hellboy story....sandwiched in between a Serenity and Aliens comic from Dark Horse. It was only 8 pages. It wasn't great. But, Hellboy completest, and all. I have zero interest in Serenity, so didn't bother to even read that story. The Aliens story was, well, not really even a story.

Also:

Civil War II #0-Reading this makes me want to read Civil War II even less. Bendis writes the single worst iteration of Thanos, ever. Two superheroes die....I guess! Gasp. Horrible, horrible, horrible. This might even make the Mark Millar fiasco look genius.

ROM #1-Not as good as the Micronauts relaunch. It was ok. I thought Marvel owned the rights to the Dire Wraiths? Even though this were blatantly different designs of the aliens, they still called them Dire Wraiths. Just a quick tease of the upcoming series. I won't be buying it.

Avatarex preview by Grant Morrison-It was just the first couple pages of the upcoming first issue, I'm pretty sure. Not enough here to even whet the appetite of what Morrison's next project will be about.

So, basically a waste. My girlfriend picked up a new Love and Rockets comic, and the first chapter of John Lewis' biography of his activism in the Civil Rights movement. Her choices may have been better.

Not much worth your time, unless you absolutely can't miss any Hellboy-related stories.