• Azzarello
    • Diggle
  6. 6. Carey V Diggle

• Carey
    • Diggle
  7. 7. Mina V Diggle

• Mina
    • Diggle

Newly revised rankings according to Bili and 888.com...

Delano

Diggle

Ellis

Carey

Jenkins

Ennis

Mina

Az.

And in retrospect its been a pretty fine run of it, minor niggles aside.

Ennis vs. Diggle was hard, mostly because Diggle has not completed his run, and it could go anywhere from here. I think in the end I gave the nod to Ennis, but I'm unsure about that choice. It was really a toss-up at this point. It may be far easier to rate the two after Diggle is finished.

I gave the slight nod to Diggle over Ellis at this point, because Ellis' run was far too short and lacking, but if Diggle flounders with the rest of his run, I'd probably take Ellis over Diggle.

I did give Diggle the nod over Carey, because overall, I'm just not a fan of what Carey did on Hellblazer.

The rest of the choices were easy:

Delano, easily.

Jenkins, easily.

Diggle over Azzarello, easily.

Diggle over Mina, easily.

Interestingly, my answers completely line up with the current rankings. But there's a caveat to my answers: I think Diggle's run has been fantastic, so the fact that I rate Delano, Ennis and Jenkins above him is in NO way a sign of my dissatisfaction. The truth is, I just find their runs to be so enjoyable from both a storytelling and nostalgic perspective that despite whatever faults each of those first three runs had (and they all had some faults), I think I'll always rate them above anyone else's. On the other hand, when it comes to Ellis, Azzarello and Mina, it's a no-brainer--Diggle could write circles around their Hellblazer runs with one hand while relieving himself with the other. Carey's was the one run I was on the fence about, but because I found some of his stories great and some boring, he ultimately lost to Diggle, who has yet to disappoint, in my opinion. The real telltale will be how his run ultimately concludes--if he can keep up his current quality until the end, he just might move up there with the first three. He's already pretty close as it is--I gladly eat whatever requisite crow I might have to devour over my expressed wariness before the release of his first issue.

I still like the Garnethill trilogy more than at least two-thirds of Hellblazer, for what that's worth.

Apart from vs Jenkins, Diggle won all of those matches.

But I acknowledge that it's a bit unrepresentative: I've enjoyed every issue of Diggle's so far, but he hasn't gone on long enough yet for me to think his edge is going (the way Ennis & Carey did). If I had to judge the first X no. of Diggle's issues against the corresponding issues from Messrs Ennis & Carey it would be a tougher decision.

For me, it's:

Diggle and Carey battling it out for first place

Ennis and Delano on the second tier, battling,

everyone else in a vast pot of tepid pudding.

Am I in the minority here?