Sign in to follow this  
Avaunt

Louis Leterrier attempts the impossible. 1602

1602....gah!

I think Hollywood execs who have little knowledge of superhero comics and think they're revolutionizing the genre is the future of superhero movies. That's the impression I get with all these non-comic based superhero movies that are starting to crop up, like the new Will Smith movie. I can just imagine someone thinking, "Here's a totally fresh take on the superhero motif. A superhero who isn't moral and doesn't want to use his powers to help others, or at best, is interested only in the fame." Not realizing that the theme has been done to death in comic books.

But, I think the market for superhero movies will be dropping very soon anyway.

But, I think the market for superhero movies will be dropping very soon anyway.

God, I hope so. I loves me some pervert-suit action as much as the next guy (probably rather a lot more than the next guy, in fact, provided the next guy isn't a comic reader), and even I'm getting sick of the endless stream of superhero films. Time for a break, guys.

That said, speaking with my fanboy hat on, I'm actually half-interested in what Marvel seem to be planning for their next wave of movies. I agree totally with the bloke in that article who points out that, if superhero films are to continue, the studios are going to have to come up with a couple of interesting new twists. The Marvel plan - a WW2-era Captain America movie, then a Thor adaptation with substantial mythological elements and set partly in Asgard, followed by a big ol' superhero team-up epic version of The Avengers (which is old hat in comics, but hasn't really been done properly in live-action yet) - seems to cover a couple of potentially-entertaining bases which we haven't really seen onscreen yet. If they can do it justice - and really, Volume One of The Ultimates is a pretty straightforward template for the best superhero action movie ever, especially if they can get rid of a few of the more irritating Millarisms while adapting it - I'll be impressed. Realistically, though, the bubble has to burst soon.

Is it true that the professional wrestler, Triple H, is currently scheduled for the role of Thor? Does anyone know?

If they are planning to go ahead with an epic mythology version of Thor, they really ought to reconsider casting Triple H in that role.....

At least Marvel seems to be wising up that "guy getting powers and fighting evil villain with powers" is a formula that will only hasten the end of the superhero movie boom, and are starting to try to diversify a bit.

Is it true that the professional wrestler, Triple H, is currently scheduled for the role of Thor?

I sure hope so.

:boogie: