slinker

Hellblazer #245

19 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10, please...

That to me is what HB has always been about; a man whose bravado far out-stretches his abilities, who gets by mostly on luck and a willingness to take a risk.

Well, that and disposable friends. To his credit however, he feels REALLY BAD about that subsequently...

By the way, if you look at the page where JC is buying his ticket, you can see the cuffs of his coat and he's got conventional trench coat cuffs with the usual tape tags. It is only in that final page that his sleeves are zippered. Now THAT does NOT make sense, it is a silly loss of continuity.

Might we have jumped back in time to his "punk days"? Of course, zippered sleeved coats were not exactly en mode in 1976...

It wasn't bad and the main thing is that I will now go and look at Jason Aaron's other work which I've always ummmed and aaaahed about about picking up. I definitely will now.

You really should. SCALPED in particular is fucking aces.

It wasn't bad and the main thing is that I will now go and look at Jason Aaron's other work which I've always ummmed and aaaahed about about picking up. I definitely will now.

You really should. SCALPED in particular is fucking aces.

Indeed. It really is.

It was a full page splash panel of him buying a train ticket.

Hey! I wasn't defending that.

I was merely suggesting that I do think Constantine is a poser.

I still agree that the essence of the character, whatever else, is that he's a "down to earth magician". That's what had always appealed to me about the character, that he came from a working class family, that he would spend time at the pub talking with the other people. It juxtaposed nicely with the other part of his life.

Surely who he is at heart and who he has to pretend to be to play this game don't have to be the same thing! And the character's allowed to get lost somewhere in between from time to time too*

* The character that is - not the writer.

(Maybe we're just arguing the semantics of "poser" here...)

Somebody who pretends to be something else other than what they actually are. Constantine has always done this a lot, as it's rather in the nature of any sort of bluff or con trick to adopt a pose.

He must have got a whopping discount on that train ticket then.

Conceivably I'm using a different definition of "poser".

A confusing question?

Well, sure, I'd agree that John probably isn't a confusing question very often, but it's strange you'd even bring that idea into the conversation. :smile:

As far as I'm aware, there are only two accepted definitions of the word "poser".

(Maybe we're just arguing the semantics of "poser" here...)

Somebody who pretends to be something else other than what they actually are. Constantine has always done this a lot, as it's rather in the nature of any sort of bluff or con trick to adopt a pose.

"Poser" to me is exclusively a pejorative term, used to describe someone who puts on a certain image just to be considered "cool" or "in" or something. That's not what JC does at all.

Like I said, semantics.

A person who poses for effect, or behaves affectedly. (French, from poser.)

According to the OED (which just has the English spelling poser which everybody actually uses, and has been using all thread and in the comic, as a tricky problem.)

Doesn't strike me as that unreasonable a description of Constantine's behaviour, and there's no mention of it being innately pejorative there (though it's definitely normally used as a pejorative).

I think what we are talking about here is the difference between being a Con man and a "Poser". The latter in my mind, being someone who dresses the part, but cannot act it. the Poser will almost alway back down when challenged. The con, on the other hand, will find some way of getting the best of the other party, if he's good at what he does anyway.

I enjoyed it. Dialog's a little goofy, but there were some fun moments: "Pull me" was pretty good.

Good issue. Not the Knowledge but certainly vastly more interesting that, say War that Time Forgot.

I think it's an entertaining privilege of a long-running book to occasionally dig up the back story and look at it with fresh eyes. Part one was fun, and I look forward to part 2.

Everyone knows that if US kids came to England to see some minute speck in the history of punk they'd go to London. And then Manchester if they knew a bit more about anything. But perhaps I have forgotten some big story about Mucous Membrane's Newcastle gig ?

Actually, I didn't a problem with that, or even take it as a leap of faith: a lot of American punks seem to have a fairly bizarre and misplaced approach to history and massively overvalue the really shitty shit that barely qualifies as z list stuff. These people take dreck like Anti Nowhere League and UK/Decay seriously after all, so a trainspotterish fixation with a band who've always been dismissed throughout the comic's history as complete and utter shit ties in with that approach pretty tidily. It doesn't matter how crap a band were, somebody will be fixated on them, and probably self published a book or made a crap documentary about them. (That's how viral media works, sadly. It isn't just there for stuff that's actually worth bothering with.)

No, I'd say it was a fairly obscure bit of minutiae that they were working on for a reason.

If you're a bunch of kids, new of the documentary scene, do you really want your first piece to be another one on the Sex Pistols, done to death, and done far better compared to their low-budget approach?

It's a band that in cultural memory is connected to a mysterious murder. That gives the band an interesting twist, regardless of the quality of their music.

I thought it made total sense.