David D.

Simon Oliver will be taking over after Diggle

When was the first time "fuck" was used in Hellblazer? Wasn't it by Ellis?

I'd argue this trend first started with Garth Ennis' immature version of John Constantine, and then went away with Campbell and Jenkins, but then the "edgy" John was brought back by Ellis, and never really went away.

Jenkins was the first one to use 'fuck'. Ennis was the first one to use '[over-used word]', when he came back for Son Of Man.

I'd argue this trend first started with Garth Ennis' immature version of John Constantine, and then went away with Campbell and Jenkins, but then the "edgy" John was brought back by Ellis, and never really went away.

Jenkins was the first one to use 'fuck'. Ennis was the first one to use '[over-used word]', when he came back for Son Of Man.

He tried to have [over-used word] in during his main run, but got asked to change it.

Actually, Ennis used it at the very final page of of the Rake at the Gates of Hell arc.

Ouote: "Goodnight and God bless--Now fuck off to bed."

Yeah, that line didn't really make sense within the ending of the story, but it's kinda nice that Ennis ends his run with a Pogues quote.

Yeah, that line didn't really make sense within the ending of the story, but it's kinda predictable that Ennis ends his run with a Pogues quote.

Fixed that for ya!

Look, Delano ended with a great character story, Azz ended with a vague and grimy overdrawn story, Jenkins ended with a logical end to the character arc.

Garf ended with a Pogues quote. It's fitting.

You are exactly on the money. Other writers have written good Constantine stories, but I'd argue that Jenkins and, to an extent, Carey (keeping in mind that I've somehow managed to not read any of Diggle's run yet) are the only writers who really understood the character as Delano had built him up. Meaning that they understood what made the character unique. Hypercool edginess isn't unique, and I'd think that tendency would be pretty boring to any well-socialized person over the age of 25. Maybe I'm just past the target age at this point.

Please stop posting my opinions. :smile:

Unfortunately we have to remember that publishing comics is a business, and the X-Force version of Hellblazer, with splash panels and attitude and cigarette-posturing, is probably going to sell more units than the high-concept version.

Please stop posting my opinions. :smile:

Unfortunately we have to remember that publishing comics is a business, and the X-Force version of Hellblazer, with splash panels and attitude and cigarette-posturing, is probably going to sell more units than the high-concept version.

But didn't Carey sell better than Diggle, overall? JMac, you have these figures don't you?

Never read Exterminators, but I'm willing to give Oliver a chance. If he's good, that's fantastic. If he's awful, well ... I'm sure I've suffered through at least one run on the book that is worse.

I don't know if it's just silly nostalgia, but I would like to see a run more in the vein of Paul Jenkins, a John Constantine who actually lives somewhere and knows people who don't just want him dead. I liked that about Paul's stint: his take on the character seemed to be the logical transition from his roots.

But good luck to Simon Oliver, whatever direction he may take the book.

But didn't Carey sell better than Diggle, overall? JMac, you have these figures don't you?

What are you, my nemesis? :smile:

What are you, my nemesis? :smile:

You should be so lucky.