Sign in to follow this  
adamb0nd

Shagging Lesbians, Sucked off by dogs.

As a newer reader of hellblazer, it's often hard for me to judge the exact scale of John "power's". There seems to be nothing innately magical about him, and compared to other dabblers of the occult (Map for example), he seems relatively weak.

What is the exact extent of Johns magic? He seems to utilize smaller tricks, using his wit to make them far more useful than they should ever be. It's also unclear if he has to prepare his spells before casting them. Obviously some spells seem to require intricate rituals. Other things he seems to perform on the fly. Lets make a list:

1. Basic illusions (Masking the yellow pages as a biblical text, his trench coat as a tuxedo, etc...)

2. Summoning spirits and demons

3. Warding demons and spirits

4. Bind demons and spirits

5. Exercising demons and spirits

6. Manipulation (forcing others to do his will... like when he turned the prison he was locked in into a mad house)

7. Astral projection

8. Hypnotism

Feel free to extend the list as ideas come to you.

He seems to accomplish most of his tricks via psychological trickery. Changing the way people perceive things or want to act rather than the actual circumstances. You know, the ultimate conman. I'm sure that's why the series rarely delves into the particulars of his use of magic--since what he's actually doing is much less important than what people think he's doing.

Ask St. Apathy. He lost his powers when he cut his hair. Maybe, apart of 'hairstyle shifting' power, he lost 'bullshitting': then undoubtely it's a power.

XD

Ah, he also makes tricks with randomness. I mean John. He's very good at bingo and roulette. Maybe he's just making anybody believe he has the right numbers, anyway.

As a newer reader of hellblazer, it's often hard for me to judge the exact scale of John "power's". There seems to be nothing innately magical about him, and compared to other dabblers of the occult (Map for example), he seems relatively weak.

What is the exact extent of Johns magic? He seems to utilize smaller tricks, using his wit to make them far more useful than they should ever be. It's also unclear if he has to prepare his spells before casting them. Obviously some spells seem to require intricate rituals. Other things he seems to perform on the fly. Lets make a list:

1. Basic illusions (Masking the yellow pages as a biblical text, his trench coat as a tuxedo, etc...)

2. Summoning spirits and demons

3. Warding demons and spirits

4. Bind demons and spirits

5. Exercising demons and spirits

6. Manipulation (forcing others to do his will... like when he turned the prison he was locked in into a mad house)

7. Astral projection

8. Hypnotism

Feel free to extend the list as ideas come to you.

One of the really good things about this comic is the fact that both his "powers" and his tricks are not quantified or listed or defined in any hard-set way. I would also say that he's displayed quite different abilities under different writers. Clearly defining what he can and cannot do would limit the stories, IMHO.

Welcome, btw, Byslexic!

Under Delano, he was able to bluff people decently when he wasn't having a breakdown.

Under Garf, he could do illusiony type things.

Under Jenkins, about the same as Garf.

Under Azz, he could get sucked off by a dog and give a rich guy a handjob.

Under Carey, he was borderline superhero.

Spain wrote "Opening doors to hell.

Rolling giant joints.

Waking up golems"

dont forget, shagging lesbians.

sometimes its hard to tell what John can do, but John's big trick that somehow he is able to tap into the Synchronicity Highway, it like a giant web that connects to the universe, John bascliy use it to be in the right place at exactly the right time and also has led John to have uncanny luck.

to see more uses of John's powers, see this link http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5219

dont forget, shagging lesbians.

Can't we? Can't we all just sort of let this go?

Please?

Slitting his wrists might be put on a list of his "powers"?

Yeah, we all know about the freedom that the character gives to the writers about the way John makes 'magic', but I think this thread is not a lose of time anyway (easy sex jokes aside).

Example.

I look at the list and see no Alchemy. Numerology, adivination by I Ching, or Kabballah, John did something like, but Alchemy? Or Astrology? Well, maybe the comic doesn't want to get too mystical, but... my personal opinion, Alchemy is nice.

And really, for making that giant joint in his birthday, he must have used magic.

Yeah, we all know about the freedom that the character gives to the writers about the way John makes 'magic', but I think this thread is not a lose of time anyway (easy sex jokes aside).

Example.

I look at the list and see no Alchemy. Numerology, adivination by I Ching, or Kabballah, John did something like, but Alchemy? Or Astrology? Well, maybe the comic doesn't want to get too mystical, but... my personal opinion, Alchemy is nice.

And really, for making that giant joint in his birthday, he must have used magic.

I'm pretty sure it was swampthing who made the joint

In that Sandman Presents: Love Street mini-series, John just about shat himself when he found out his Rabbi friend knew Kabbalah, so apparently that area of expertise is outside of John's abilities....either that, or it was just bad writing....take your pick.