JohnMcMahon

The Matt In San Diego Thread

Dave Navarro out of Jane's Addiction and RHCP, I told him to leave me alone but he kept following me.

Today I took a tour bus around San Diego and learned a lot of interesting things, the city isn't as big as it seems, a few locales are still riding the buzz from appearing in Top Gun and anything over 100 years is really really old.

I'm getting into the swing of things, felt a bit lonely yesterday as the only people I seem to talk to are in the service trades, but got out and about today and feel a lot better, Comicon preview night is tomorrow expect some interesting things.

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=...mp;id=690108759

While drinking alone in Old Town San Diego Matt recommends the Wine Cabana for being completely empty and having a hot bar maid that he could've totally used his British wiles to score with if he was actually in the mood to do so.

While drinking alone in Old Town San Diego Matt recommends the Wine Cabana for being completely empty and having a hot bar maid that he could've totally used his British wiles to score with if he was actually in the mood to do so.

Wiles-of-the-Wicked.jpg

Oh, and you expect us to believe this without photographic evidence? phah!

?

You have been there for 3 days, and already turned into a EMO?. San Deigo works fast!.

(Sorry, that's probably the drink talking.)

Anyway, this evening was preview night when the open up the trading floor, I managed to wander round and get a look and most of it in about an hour people I saw who i recognised:

Mike Mignola

Ryan Otley

Coleen Doran

Scott Kurtz

Jerry Holkins

Mike Krahulik

Robert Kirkman

Tim Bradstreet

Eric Powel (signed a book i bought of him then tried to short change me 5 bucks the S.O.B.)

Jon Rosenburg

MC Frontalot

Orson Scott Card

and Howard Chaykin

no pics as i left my camera on the sofa by accident, more tomorrow same bat time same bat channel.

I'm not really into man hugs, or bugging people in general, you'll notice that most of these photos of people are taken from a distance:

I'll try some dutch courage maybe.

Day 1 was great, those that know me will also know that even if i intend not to i always spend a small countries trade deficit on, well, trades. Cash changed hands and it was a large number and will probably only get larger.

Just checked my online banking and luckily its about what i expected, so we're still on target and i shouldn't run out of money the middle of next week.

Sounds great, man.

Don't buy a toy plastic Conan axe or anything, they won't let you take it on the airplane, seriously.

Weird day, not really good, more a learning experience, it's really difficult to estimate the best time to arrive for a panel or event, I arrived at the Watchmen panel 45 minutes before the start only to be turned away, yet walked right into the spirit panel 5 minutes before it started, couldn't get anywhere near the Spaced or MST3k panel which i am deeply disappointed about, Ghostbusters panel was cancelled, did catch the Vertigo panel which was a waste of time mostly but had to be in the same room for the Penny Arcade panel that followed and was hilarious.

The event security is frankly shit, loads of arbitrary one way corridors and roped of areas that seem to serve no purpose, it's very frustrating getting around sometimes.

Hopefully tomorrow will be easier.

That's an American con for sure.

Do the PA dudes look at all like Tycho and Gabe?

No, but I already knew what they looked like.

Also got a free signed copy of Greg Rucka's new novel and a flash ring from Jeff Johns, which was nice.

Lucy Lawless was drunk and you didn't try it on with her ?

Tsk.

More pictures of nerds and babes (they will pose for you if you ask).

And was that Mike Collins in front of you at the Bill Plimpton panel?

How was the PA panel ?

We're massive fans here in the McMahon household.

edit : Nice shots from the Vertigo panel sir, well done.

edit edit : Some kind of warning before the chubby V-sters (no, the originals) would've been nice though!

A short day today, started off with the Futurama panel which was excellent, followed by the Hellboy panel, Mignola keeps his cards close to his chest so no big revelations or anything, just talk about the many HB spin off projects coming in the near future and how none of them liked the new Hellboy game. The Dark Horse panel was a bit dire, that is until Bruce Campbell came in from no where to talk about My Name Is Bruce which is produced by the DH film arm thing.

Terminator Salvation was a great panel, McG seems to be really behind this project and the cast were really enthusiastic, unfortunately they were unable to raise Bale on his phone but the presence of Bryce Dallas Howard (who gives me a huge boner) more than made up for it. Some quality comedic moments included this:

n690108759_1155698_4450.jpg

"Have you seen this boy?"

and an Asian guy called Tim who did a spot on Arnold impression and was invited up on stage to field questions for half the panel.

Lucy Lawless is actually a really down to earth, friendly, open person.

The whole time they were filming out at Henderson, my twin was in charge of the external fire alarm system that linked them to the fire department ( He worked for the biggest fire alarm company here in Auckland, at the time.)

They were forever setting the alarm off, which meant that at all hours of the day or night Lance had to be there to re-set it, while the fire department looked on. And he got to be nod-of-the-head friends with all the crew and cast. He used to tell me "Yeah, Zena wants my bod" :rolleyes: because he is enamoured of himself.

Anyway, I was walking along the footpath in town once, minding my own beeswax, and this really tall heavily pregnant and sort of beautiful-in-a-friendly-way woman hopped out of a car in front of me, saw me, and smiled like a beacon "Hi there Lance, long time no see, How are your twinnies?" .

Explain that am actually Lances twin, no, I understand he never told you, he never does tell people, best wishes for your happy event to be, wander away.

Next time I saw Lance I told him I met one of his friends, big tall pregnant woman, big shoulders, great legs, and when I went on to describe her more closely he laughed and he said "Didn't recognise her did you?".

:)

And of course as soon as he told me I realised of course it had been Lawless. And the guy standing beside her, who I also thought somehow I knew was Micheal Hurst.

Anyway, she was just a nice normal Kiwi girl, friendly and good heart.

It was the last day of SDCC today and the atmosphere was subdued, I imagine it was because of the ranging hangovers that had been going round, I'd abstained for the duration so came away reasonably unharmed.

No real highlights as there was very little of note going on, all the big announcements had been made by now and all the big stars had gone back to LA where they belong.

regrets: not talking to enough people must remember to get drunker and probably never being able to afford to ever come back which is a bit sad.

Sounds like you had a great time at least.

Good beer is more expensive here than in the UK (ignoring the exchange rate), because aside from like 3 companies, all the good beer is by microbreweries.