JohnMcMahon

#249 solicitation

HELLBLAZER #249

Written by Andy Diggle

Art by Leonardo Manco

Cover by Lee Bermejo

Andy Diggle’s final issue! John Constantine's journey of self-discovery comes full circle as he returns to the Ravenscar mental hospital he spent years at to face down the individual who has been manipulating him from the shadows. But this rogue has been hiding in the last place Constantine would ever think to look.

Oh god I'll be pissed if Andy's last 3 issues are about the Golden Boy.

Well it could be pulled off I suppose.

Speaking of Simon, the solit for the last issue of that Chas yoke reads...

Red vs. Blue. The demon possessing Chas’s would-be protégé, Nicky, has unlocked the secrets of “The Knowledge,” and now it’s looking to rip the soul right out of London. And where better to start than a football match between two of the city’s most heated rivals?

I'm not sure those shirt colours are on the money.

Yeah, I was thinking Diggle would go out with #250.

Either they're going to ignore it as an anniversary issue or they have something really big planned for #250, is my train of thought.

HELLBLAZER #249

Written by Andy Diggle

Art by Leonardo Manco

Cover by Lee Bermejo

Andy Diggle’s final issue! John Constantine's journey of self-discovery comes full circle as he returns to the Ravenscar mental hospital he spent years at to face down the individual who has been manipulating him from the shadows. But this rogue has been hiding in the last place Constantine would ever think to look.

WHAT? Andy, why are you leaving us so soon? And why aren't you doing issue 250? I'm very not happy about this, man.

HELLBLAZER #249

Written by Andy Diggle

Art by Leonardo Manco

Cover by Lee Bermejo

I have to wonder why Andy is leaving after only 19 issues, which is a far shorter run than I was expecting--and only a half-dozen more than Mina had. Andy, if you're reading this and don't mind my asking...could you please shed some light on this one? Why are you ending your run so quickly? Did you tire of the series? Did fans here, or on another site, sour your enjoyment? Or was this the plan all along?

I recall Andy saying he had a story planned that would take it to 250. I guess with the fill-in story this falls shorter than expected, but the last thing I want is writers over-staying their inspiration.

That said, I am sad to see him go.

I have to wonder why Andy is leaving after only 19 issues

Maybe Marvel wrote him a nice big cheque.

That or he'll have told all the Constantine stories he wants by then.

Oooh, that's a shame but I'm all for writers only writing as many stories as they have. Plus it'll be good to be able to see Andy's run in its entirety.

Andy - if you're still knocking round these parts, it would be really interesting to hear an account of how you found writing Hellblazer, how your original ideas changed or developed, when you''re all finished!

Aye, I'd second that.

I've enjoyed Diggle's run greatly*, particularly the shorter stories (#230-#231 - that was the story with JC tied to the post at the rising tide wasn't it? A fucking cracker, I thought) . I know a few folk have been less than impressed, but I'll be sad to see him go.

Still, if he feels he's run his time then that's it I suppose. Last thing we'd want is a writer just killing time and running down the clock.

Thank you for your sterling work, wherever you are, Andy.

*apart from the awful peaked lapels on John's single breasted suit, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt that that was Manco's doing, not Diggle's. A very minor niggle, I know, but it really annoyed me on that splash page of John getting his act together. Peaked lapels have no place on a single breasted suit in my opinion, I don't care what the current vogue is.

Oooh, that's a shame but I'm all for writers only writing as many stories as they have. Plus it'll be good to be able to see Andy's run in its entirety.

Andy - if you're still knocking round these parts, it would be really interesting to hear an account of how you found writing Hellblazer, how your original ideas changed or developed, when you''re all finished!

Seconded!

it better not be Nergal again.

I have this idea. It is Chas. The whole Chas: The Knowledge thing is a blind. In fact Chas is the fallen angel Chazziel, Rider of the Black Chariot. he says things like "I 'ad that First of the Fallen in the back of me chariot once, very intelligent man..."

Of course, I could be wrong...

I'll be sorry to see him go. But Simon Oliver seems like a nice "next" one.